World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot has been said on this topic recently but I'm trying to get my head round it, so let's confuse ourselves some more...

I've got a new reel and some spares spools coming soon, so I've been eyeing up a few different braids to fill them with to give me some options whilst out fishing.

You try to compare and contrast different lines, but you keep running into the pitfalls of the different labelling sysyems.

Not only is there the Japanese PE system (does anyone know the logic behind that?) buy also the well known discrepancy between US and European stated breaking strains.

I was looking at some Sufix 832 and thought that the stated BS seemed very optimistic given the stated diameter. A bit more rresearch showed that Henry covered this on his blog, and was assured by the Rapala guys that it was correct!

I guess what I'm getting at is, do we just start ignoring BS completely and just start buying on diameter? It seems to me that over a certain diameter, casting range starts to reduce significantly, given the light nature of the gear we use. Fine if distance is not needed, put problematic when the shoals are just that little bit further out smashing baitfish.

If you do buy on stated BS (imagining it to be ccorrect) how low to you feel comfortable going?

Trying to figure out the best balance of strengh/casting range, given all the conflicting information, seems an impossible task.

WSF Primary Administrator.
I know a lot has been said on this topic recently but I'm trying to get my head round it, so let's confuse ourselves some more...

I've got a new reel and some spares spools coming soon, so I've been eyeing up a few different braids to fill them with to give me some options whilst out fishing.

You try to compare and contrast different lines, but you keep running into the pitfalls of the different labelling sysyems.

Not only is there the Japanese PE system (does anyone know the logic behind that?) buy also the well known discrepancy between US and European stated breaking strains.

I was looking at some Sufix 832 and thought that the stated BS seemed very optimistic given the stated diameter. A bit more rresearch showed that Henry covered this on his blog, and was assured by the Rapala guys that it was correct!

I guess what I'm getting at is, do we just start ignoring BS completely and just start buying on diameter? It seems to me that over a certain diameter, casting range starts to reduce significantly, given the light nature of the gear we use. Fine if distance is not needed, put problematic when the shoals are just that little bit further out smashing baitfish.

If you do buy on stated BS (imagining it to be ccorrect) how low to you feel comfortable going?

Trying to figure out the best balance of strengh/casting range, given all the conflicting information, seems an impossible task.
I'm determined this year to try some of the Daiwa 12 strand but will be buying on diameter....

Registered
When I used to go to Namibia, it was the first time I came across anglers who talked about their mainlines in diameter terms rather than breaking strains like we do. OK, so it was mono and not braid, but it made a lot of sense to me, and especially with the wild claims that some manufacturers make for their lines.

I think the PE system is a load of balls quite frankly, designed to confuse the hell out of people even more than diameters and breaking strains do already!

Can't go wrong with that Sufix 832, it's an awesome braid that for some daft reason Shimano UK do squat with here in the UK.

Personally I would like to buy on diameter, or rather, a true diameter and not some invented figure for tow-rope.

G

having used daiwa accudepth for jigging and lure fishing for cod and pollack from the shore over rough ground ,that is what i will be using when i start lure fishing for bass in the coming summer FWA.i really cannot fault it. i have a small shimano reel filled with one of the supposed super braids, but after reading reviews on here it will be going in the bin !
cheers rab

ps the pe rating system is a nonsense. an attempt to make something appear more technical than it really is imo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably the 27lbs PE1.2 size :)

Will need to see some samples...........
Best price I can find on that is 拢40. Can't even find it cheaper in Japan. It's tempting, but I'll wait a bit on that one.

having used daiwa accudepth for jigging and lure fishing for cod and pollack from the shore over rough ground ,that is what i will be using when i start lure fishing for bass in the coming summer FWA.i really cannot fault it. i have a small shimano reel filled with one of the supposed super braids, but after reading reviews on here it will be going in the bin !
cheers rab

ps the pe rating system is a nonsense. an attempt to make something appear more technical than it really is imo.
What's the stuff you're ditching, rab?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I used to go to Namibia, it was the first time I came across anglers who talked about their mainlines in diameter terms rather than breaking strains like we do. OK, so it was mono and not braid, but it made a lot of sense to me, and especially with the wild claims that some manufacturers make for their lines.

I think the PE system is a load of balls quite frankly, designed to confuse the hell out of people even more than diameters and breaking strains do already!

Can't go wrong with that Sufix 832, it's an awesome braid that for some daft reason Shimano UK do squat with here in the UK.

Personally I would like to buy on diameter, or rather, a true diameter and not some invented figure for tow-rope.
What diameter of the 832 do you use, Henry? Going on people's impression of it, it seems very good value.

Registered
What diameter of the 832 do you use, Henry? Going on people's impression of it, it seems very good value
the 0.15mm 832

BUT

the next braid I am going to give a go is the Sufix Performance Pro 8, again in 0.15mm - I asked Sufix Europe about this braid the other day and I was told that it's more like a smooth, Japanese style 8-strand, whereas the 832 is a little rougher/tougher. I can't find the Performance Pro 8 here in the UK but have seen it on Ebay for some good prices.

Sufix make class lines, best mono mainlines I have ever fished with, and that 832 is serious braid and I will never understand why Shimano UK don't do more with it here in the UK.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the 0.15mm 832

BUT

the next braid I am going to give a go is the Sufix Performance Pro 8, again in 0.15mm - I asked Sufix Europe about this braid the other day and I was told that it's more like a smooth, Japanese style 8-strand, whereas the 832 is a little rougher/tougher. I can't find the Performance Pro 8 here in the UK but have seen it on Ebay for some good prices.

Sufix make class lines, best mono mainlines I have ever fished with, and that 832 is serious braid and I will never understand why Shimano UK don't do more with it here in the UK.
Looks interesting, I might get some of that, too!

And here's a link to a UK supplier. They have all sorts of Shimano stuff at competitive prices.

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/sufix...ow-vis-green?gclid=CPnGvbio_MoCFUefGwodIQUDpQ

Registered
No matter what. Breaking strain or diameter: most if not all manufacturers lie. Period. Done a fair bit of surfcasting in the past and only a few manufacturers were spot on regarding diameter. Very important as you got measured many a time. As breaking strain is not important we bought those who stated the real diameter. Too bad marketing took over to tell fairytales. Just tell the truth and we'll buy it anyway.

Registered
832, 0.10 up to 0.15 perfect for top & sub surface. also going to try berkly nanofil 0.10 uni-filament this yr. has any one used it?

Registered
Totally agree with this........it's bonkers.
Personally I like it - it's a bit like getting used to conversing in a new language (something us Brits are not very open to).
The PE system is actually very logical: for evey PE number there is a standard diameter rating - once you get used to things you really don't have to think about anything else - it becomes second nature to know what a given PE number is.

Why bother with diameters, breaking strains and the [confusing] labeling antics between the USA and Europe when you can settle for an internationally recognised standard?

The cheeky Essex lure fisher
cheers rab

Rab u can't beat duel hardcore
Or yamatoya famil
The nuts mate tough as old boots
Never had it snap or twizzel
Bazz

The cheeky Essex lure fisher
Personally I like it - it's a bit like getting used to conversing in a new language (something us Brits are not very open to).
The PE system is actually very logical: for evey PE number there is a standard diameter rating - once you get used to things you really don't have to think about anything else - it becomes second nature to know what a given PE number is.

Why bother with diameters, breaking strains and the [confusing] labeling antics between the USA and Europe when you can settle for an internationally recognised standard?
It takes the old boys on here a while to accept change pmsl

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I understand what you're saying, but surely millimetres is an internationally recognised standard as it is? Why learn another language when everyone is already using the one we have?

Registered
It takes the old boys on here a while to accept change pmsl
I remember many years ago as an apprentice painter and decorator working with an old guy who insisted working in feet, inches and fractions of an inch - what a headache trying to add different fractions of an inch to get a measurement for cutting a length of wallpaper :eek:
He asked me to measure into the wall corner, which I did in metric - he told me to forget that nonsense and work in a proper measuring system (or words to that effect). Couldn't understand why as the metric system is so easy - even the plasterers could understand it :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts