World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well went to the Heugh with me old man last night to fish it 2 up 2 down. High tide was approximately 21:00 and we fished it from 6:30 till 10:30. Fishing for flatties with two hook flapper rigs using sz 4 Kamazans and small rag or black lug baits tipped with mackerel the action was steady. The old man went into an early lead thanks to several double shots of smaller dabs and was 7 - 2 up after an hour and a half. I then hit back with a couple of double shots of my own just before low water, but as low water approached it went quiet and crab activity increased. About 3 minutes after the flood the fishing picked up, although there was a bit of weed in the water becoming a nuisance. We fished on picking up odd fish untill we decided to pack up and head home at about 10:30 even though it was still quite light. Final tally was 18 Dab to the old man and i had 9 Dab, a flounder and 2 weevers. All in all not bad and plenty of bites, a few dab were better fish at just over 30cm so worth keeping.

·
Registered
637 Posts
it did seem light til very late last night, even though i was only in the house. plenty of dab around then mate

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some dab were quite a good size, much better than the ones you get up Steetly and worth keeping. Interestingly the weevers came as a double shot, i nearly grabbed one as it looked like a pin whitting in the dusk (bet some of you have nearly done that!). Was going to go up the Gare (same place baz) but i dont like walking up from the zinc works along the beach as it takes ages. Maybe Steetly would have been better, but i dont like leaving my car up there on a night, especially when its the only vehicle there. Atleast we caught, should be out a few times this weekend though (maybe try the Copthorne), then up to Luce Bay next weekend so its not all bad.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Good session Iain, wish i had gone there. Had 3 hours on Parton and 3 small Coalies was all i had to show. Lovely night though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been fishing ok recently, plenty safe to park your car and a short walk, its just the climb over the gate which can be annoying. I have stopped taking the box up there now and usually pack a rucksack with everything i need in it. Not as prolific ction as Steetly but a better stamp of fish. Weed can be a bit of a problem and crab activity seemed high there especially over slack water. It was a nice evening to be out though Bob, light untill we packed in with a cooling moderate breeze. Make the best of it before all the usuall mackerel morons get on there and the 'sane' fishermen have to travel further a field to less populated marks.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Nice session plenty of fish caught.:yeah:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts