World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as mentioned in the diaries, we were lucky enough to fish with jim for years before he died,he was a shortbloke, ex navy diver, he was sooo tight, hard of hearing,and monumentally accident prone but I know he would approve of a tale or three from our fishing time together,after all, he was the origin of the "numpties"

Twas 1999, mid july, and darren and I were getting ready for a session at the marina, jim arrived as we unloaded the car, but jim only grabbed a rod, and a duffelbag type thing"blimey jim, your travelling light" I said, he relplied, I flipping hate arms and piers, he called them concrete boats, in truth, he was seldom happy with a venue, and something was always to blame if he blanked.
anyway, off we went up the east arm, jim spent a good 20 minutes sharpening his old trusty 4/0 hook, and we duly set about the ribbing and general putting the world to rights stuff, when jim just stood up, then walked off, leaving all his gear ?????
Pfffft, darren and I managed a small bass, and chatted about jimbo missing the action, we looked along at where he'd set up, and his rod was balancing on the wall, ****e,,,, I ran over, but was too late, the whole lot gone, ooops.
some 3hrs had passed and his portly figure wandered up to us, smiling like a child, announcing"ive just found all these beads, aaaaaand,5, yes 5 hooks, daz and I were in stitches when he realised his rod had gone, forever, for handfull of rusty hooks .
he was a bit upset, blaming us for the venue choice, of course,,,, look, we said, next week, lets do the bath, my nickname for my favourite undercliff spot, he liked it there, because in those days, I drove, and parked along there, it suited him, lazy summers eve, with nowhere to walk, and a car if it rained, sorted, three rods went out as it got dark, and jim was into a fish almost immediatly, then losing it , just as fast, knot failure was to blame as he said"rigs gone",now we told jim time and time again about our knot, goddam mule wouldnt learn it, consequently rarely landed a lump, darren was next to get a fish, a beauty , then another, then another, both jim and I were falling way behind, and all fish were netted swiftly as daz hugged the groyne(the hotspot)I was so far out of the fish I might as well of been asleep, I moved a bait a good 40yds farther along the wall, right at the base of a gulley opening,10 feet out if that, walked back to chat, paying out line as I went, I settled back down as jimbo walked along to where id casted, my line tightened and I was in, I shouted to jim that it felt good, and I was going to have to walk to jim to land it, probably in the water, when daz said, ive got it, my lines are out, the nets right there, sorted, a few heart thumping minutes went by with no sign of jim, netted the fish, weighed her at 11.8, returned her, then looked along the prom with no trace of jim, headlights went on and we both walked along, wtf, jim was up to his waste in the water , in the dark , and he piped up"where is it, is it gone",well we were nearly crying with laughter as he spent the next few hours till 4am soaking wet, in my passenger seat, it really was him all over, every single week he came , he had a catastrophe, he was a diamond, he is missed, and he would approve, after all, i think we all know a jim, or two he could give it out as well as anyone.,

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Nice one again Craig - two many good men gone Bro,funny how so many arseoles seem to hang around wasting good oxygen - must be some truth in that saying only the good die young

·
Registered
777 Posts
Another top quality extract from the MMAD diaries Craig, can't wait for the hardback version to hit WH Smiths. You're right though we all know a Jim.

err Jim :)

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Another superb article mate, I'm a Jim type some-thing always goes wrong.
Number deleted btw :notworthy

·
Registered
793 Posts
Like i said before, Jim sounds like a brilliant guy to have around for one reason or another !

Im sure he is missed by a lot of people

1 - 6 of 6 Posts