World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started making my own leads now.
Got a mould and after a few goes out thy popped!
Fantastic deff the way forward will save a fortune I grudged paying for them before!!:yeah:
These are some 3oz ones I freshly made.
The trick is to get the mould and lead itself hot enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
:yeah: I've been making my own for a while now and it doesn't take long to make up the cost of the mould. Certainly the way to go:victory:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice looking leads you have there!

I spotted you're from Aberdeenshire. If you don't mind me asking, where is it that you get your lead from and how much does it cost you? I'm considering making my own (it looks a lot more fun than buying them!), but am currently stuck as to where to get it from!

Cheers

Sam

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Nice leads.
Lead-making is desperately addictive. I've got over 300 in stock yet only lose about 6 a year!:uhuh:

You won't be able to stop making them now..........

........there's no going back!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers forthe feedback.
well chuffed!

As to getting lead I got a big lump of it 2 years ago from my father who got it scrap from his work but you could try Panda Rosa Metals as they deal in scrap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cheers forthe feedback.
well chuffed!

As to getting lead I got a big lump of it 2 years ago from my father who got it scrap from his work but you could try Panda Rosa Metals as they deal in scrap.
Awesome - cheers for the reccomendation. I had spotted that they have a seperate site for non-ferrous metals, so I'll give 'em a bell in the morning!

G

·
Your other option for lead is to find a local plumber /gas man that will sell it to you. They usually take it to a scrappy anyway and get far less that you will pay the scrappy for it. Ask them for a few cards to dish out and they may even give you enough to keep you going for a while:secret:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
One thing to remember if using scrap lead, any moisture present will result in steam which explodes the lead towards you if you are near the melting pot. This molten metal is at 330C seriously hot, in other words, it will burn you skin and eyes in an instant and you can't get it off quickly.

Take care and only use bone dry lead for your weights please

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Your other option for lead is to find a local plumber /gas man that will sell it to you. They usually take it to a scrappy anyway and get far less that you will pay the scrappy for it. Ask them for a few cards to dish out and they may even give you enough to keep you going for a while:secret:
Or a roofer..I've always got stacks of scrap lead..

·
Deputy Jokes Forum Examiner
2,909 Posts
I've got over 300 in stock yet only lose about 6 a year!
Well if your ever looking to free up some storage space so you can make some more send some to me :):):)

Paul

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Anyone know where you can buy a cast iron pot that wont break the bank? The only ones I can find are the Le crussette expensive jobbies.

Ill keep an eye out at the boot sale, but could do with one sooner rather then later.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lead making can be addictive. I make my own gripper leads, better that paying £1:70+. I use a small thick based saucepan which is ideal for melting lead

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try your local tyre garage, they have loads of old lead weights used to balance wheels, they use new ones and throw the old ones. you'll have to remove the metal clip before melting it though.

Hope this helps.

Crasher

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you can,put some handles and a hinge on you moulds.
No more hassle of putting the mould in and out of a vice or clamp and no more burned fingers.I do this with all of my moulds.
See pics.

·
Registered
479 Posts
that looks like a top tip - speed moulding !!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts