World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of sessions which I had last week as the summer ended with both being spent targeting bass on lures.

The first session was at night on a relatively new mark which has been producing a decent stamp of fish but not as many fish each session. There's a certain window in the tide where a back eddy forms and the bass seem to sit behind or on the edge of it as the water slackens. After trying various tactics without any success I clipped on what's been a very consistent lure this year for me... 5 minutes of changing up my retrieve I was into a fish which came off after a matter of 10 seconds or so. Now knowing there were bass present and feeding, I continued to work the area just staying in contact with the lure as it fluttered in the tide. Another 5 minutes later and I was into a fish. This time I managed to land it, with a 42cm schoolie gracing the net.

Vertebrate Terrestrial plant Fish Grass Ray-finned fish

After returning the fish it all went dead which has been a common theme in a few of my sessions at night and I'm starting to think that it could spook other fish and kill an area - has anyone else found this?

The second outing was a scouting session in an area which I hadn't given much thought about previously, despite it being very close to home. On the way there I came across the largest slug I'd ever seen - the pictures don't serve it justice!

Gas Automotive tire Soil Auto part Grass

After walking past this goliath I continued to the mark. My arrival was quite late on in the tide but there were some very promising looking areas to work a lure or two. Fifteen minutes into the session and I was looking away in the other direction at the far bank whilst my lure drifted along with the tide. I then heard the all familiar 'snatching' splash and when I looked back the lure had disappeared followed by the typical second delay before the rod arched over and I was into a fish. Something I love about working surface lures slowly is that anticipation between seeing a the lure get hit and the rod bending over - I'm sure it'll never get old. A short time later and another bass was landed. This time on the blux natrix 90mm which has been a cracking budget surface lure for me this year in those situations where subtlety is needed.

Ecoregion Beak Bird Plant Grass

Shortly after, I get the call that some family friends are arriving earlier than expected which put a stop to the short 30 minute session. This ends the summer for me, and it's been the first one where I've focused mostly on the amazing craft of targeting bass with lures. I know one thing for certain,.. it's certainly not going to be the last! Unfortunately going back to uni means I won't be able to get out much at all, but I'm hoping to get the odd weekend session in on the open coast before the year ends.

Hope all is well with everyone, and tight lines!

Al

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice result on the lures. Very envious as it looks like the bass are starting to show along with the mackerel, and I'm stuck inside nursing a couple of broken ribs for the next month or so!
Thanks walk_er appreciate it. The bass are definitely about, and I do really hope that the mackerel are just very late this year and are going to show in good numbers soon. Wish you a speedy recovery with the ribs, and by the time a months passed I hope you're able to get out and have some productive sessions. Tight lines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts