World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing various low waters over the weekend and yesterday; some very early morning and others in the evening. When I haven't been fishing I've been pumping lug (or at least trying to) and chatting to fellow anglers here's what I have accomplished...

On Saturday morning I tried to fish the very early tide, I think it was 3am at my usual spot. It was very windy and cold and as such I couldn't tell a bite from a breeze :cold: I gave up after a few chucks and went back to bed smelling of fish. My wife was not happy to be woken up in such a manner...

The following tide on Saturday afternoon I spent pumping lug having a good walk down the beach with a few chats along the way. I saw one guy pull a codling in at about 2.5lbs and another guy bring in a bass of about the same size. The conditions were perfect and a lot of food was being swept onto the beaches for the gulls to go berserk at, I could only imagine what the fish were doing in the surf line. It took all my will power not to get my rod and do a spot of fishing, I knew I had missed the best part of the tide and my rod was at home.

I woke up the next morning and fished the low again, the clocks had gone back now and it felt weird to be fishing the tide at the same tide as the previous day. I caught some decent sized whiting and a micro codling who was so stuffed he looked like a tennis ball with fins :fish: I went home to bed and much to the joy of my wife awoke her to the smell of fish...

I fished the evening tide and caught more decent whiting and a bullhead, I'm amazed the bullhead was able to cope with the surf as it was not small. I even filleted one of the whiting and tried it for bait. This seemed to prevent not only other whiting from attacking it but also any other fish... There was still a decent breeze but the illusive codling where nowhere to be seen - or bass for that matter. I did have an obligatory "one that got away" on my last cast which I suspect may have been a huss, unfortunately it spat the hook on a sand bank about 20 yards in front of me :g:

Anyway, I thought I'd give it one more go last night and took the pump down to the beach, I managed a few worms and started fishing, tipping lug with some mussels I collected nearby. Two casts and a missed bite later and the rod tip was bouncing to something better than whiting :yeah: I brought in the first of the codling; probably weighing about 3lb. Another cast and another bite and I brought in my next codling a bit better I'm guessing 3.5lb ish, I invited it to tea and it duly accepted. My limited worm had run out now and the rain had started so it was time to go home, happy with my lot. It seems to me that the codling seem to feed better the day after the big blows when the surf isn't running too heavily.

Finger Fish Thumb Fin Marine biology

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know for sure but the stomach of this one was full of crab, shrimp and small fish - perhaps worm too but it disintegrates faster I suppose? So I think they probably are feeding on everything else that is stirred up and then lug gets a shot when it settles down again... Plus if there are shoals of whiting about, nothing will get a chance!

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Glad you got a couple after all your hard work :clap:.

The forecast's not great for lure fishing this Thursday so I'm toying with the idea of a bait session for a change and it's great to hear there's something decent about :thumbs:.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Glad you got a couple after all your hard work :clap:.

The forecast's not great for lure fishing this Thursday so I'm toying with the idea of a bait session for a change and it's great to hear there's something decent about :thumbs:.

Sorry for the duplicate posts :doh:, b****y smartphones! :wallbash:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts