World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original plan was to fish Tuesday evenings high water at Weybourne. However as we all know, plans are sometimes prone to failure and due to events beyond my control, I ended up fishing Wednesday morning instead. Arrived at 06.00 with HW at 07.00 and trudged the shingle in the pouring rain. On this occasion I gambled and only walked a short distance, as opposed to the usual 15 minutes to the preferred spot, as I only has a couple of hours to fish.

To be honest I expected to blank, as not only was the sea as flat as a swimming pool, it was equally as clear.

Clearly the Whitebait were still present as they could be seen jumping when pursued by groups of Guillemots. This past week has offered a real opportunity to observe seabirds that I don't normally see from the shore. Including Gannets diving just 150 yards from shore. The Guillemots though have however proved unique, in so much as how close they will come to the shore if you just sit still. I always consider it an honour, when a wild bird treats me with a level of fear so minimal that it borders on friendship.

Back at the fishing the blank was looking odds on, as the red weed was horrendous. Two foot of weed on the line when you're only casting 15 yards is BAD!

Finally both the weed and the rain eased, the sun even came out and generated a rainbow, nice. Then I looked at the rain radar on my phone and realised a storm was approaching, so one more cast as blanking is bad, but electrocution is worse!

The tip on the right hand rod whacked over, picked it up and after a spirited tussle a fit 45cm bar of silver lay bright upon the shingle. That'll do nicely, now out of here as the thunder was getting louder and the sky darker. Chucked the gear into the car and was just tying up my shoes as the heavens opened. If that does prove to be my last Norfolk Bass of 2021 it most certainly was memorable.

Vertebrate Organism Mammal Fish Ray-finned fish

Water Outdoor recreation Fishing reel Sky Lake

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice report as usual Alan.
Doubt it will be your last Bass this year unless you put the rods away which seems highly unlikely.
G.
Thanks George. 👍

You're correct of course, as I won't be putting the rods away as I'm planning on heading to Somerset in 10 days and hoping to find a few Bass down there.

It'll be unfishable in North Norfolk before Saturday after this mornings NW winds and then only if the red weed permits? So as a consequence I may not get to cast a line for Bass again from a Norfolk shore this year. Still it's been most enjoyable with 173 spikys landed.

This was Cromer this afternoon at LW and consequently at its calmest point today, would take a decent cast to get over that lot and hold out!

Cloud Water Sky Wood Coastal and oceanic landforms

Cloud Water Sky Coastal and oceanic landforms Cumulus

Cloud Water Sky Horizon Wood

Water Sky Vertebrate Bird Fluid

Lovely Moonrise at Wells

Water Boat Sky Cloud Watercraft

·
Registered
25,236 Posts
Thanks George. 👍

You're correct of course, as I won't be putting the rods away as I'm planning on heading to Somerset in 10 days and hoping to find a few Bass down there.

It'll be unfishable in North Norfolk before Saturday after this mornings NW winds and then only if the red weed permits? So as a consequence I may not get to cast a line for Bass again from a Norfolk shore this year. Still it's been most enjoyable with 173 spikys landed.

This was Cromer this afternoon at LW and consequently at its calmest point today, would take a decent cast to get over that lot and hold out!

View attachment 1374980

View attachment 1374981

View attachment 1374982

View attachment 1374983

Lovely Moonrise at Wells

View attachment 1374984
cromer crabs are smaller but taste better than cornish crabs!!! Some old Norfolk boys used to bring us cromer crabs down every summer,two sadly rip now and the other one can't drive.

Reactions: Sole intentions

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cromer crabs are smaller but taste better than cornish crabs!!! Some old Norfolk boys used to bring us cromer crabs down every summer,two sadly rip now and the other one can't drive.
Yes agreed, Cromer crabs are exceptional. Its sad those old bois aren't still making the journey, I've no doubt they would have been interesting characters.

Here's some pics that you may just like. It was a huge tide yesterday, almost 1 metre above predicted level which of course was already a spring tide. As a consequence they had to pull many of the crab boats off the beach and onto the sea wall next to the Henry Blogg museum. These pics were all taken today with a good sea still running and needless to say, no crabbers pushing off for the second consecutive day.

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Boat Cloud Sky Tire

Blue Font Wall Gas Electric blue

Sky Cloud Vehicle Water Tire

Cloud Water Sky Street light Coastal and oceanic landforms

Water Cloud Sky Vehicle Natural environment

·
Registered
25,236 Posts
Yes agreed, Cromer crabs are exceptional. Its sad those old bois aren't still making the journey, I've no doubt they would have been interesting characters.

Here's some pics that you may just like. It was a huge tide yesterday, almost 1 metre above predicted level which of course was already a spring tide. As a consequence they had to pull many of the crab boats off the beach and onto the sea wall next to the Henry Blogg museum. These pics were all taken today with a good sea still running and needless to say, no crabbers pushing off for the second consecutive day.

View attachment 1375023

View attachment 1375024

View attachment 1375025

View attachment 1375026

View attachment 1375027

View attachment 1375028
wish I still had my old pebble brilliant sea boats.took the old boys out years ago they loved the size of the whiting here! Like you say characters for sure!!! Rough tough hardworking blokes that arrived in a new jag every summer in flatcaps smoking rollups

Reactions: Sole intentions

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks George. 👍

View attachment 1374980
Thanks George. 👍

View attachment 1374980

View attachment 1374981

View attachment 1374982

View attachment 1374983

Lovely Moonrise at Wells

View attachment 1374984
The one of Wells in the evening is particularly stunning. Well done on yet another good fish,

View attachment 1374981

View attachment 1374982

View attachment 1374983

Lovely Moonrise at Wells

View attachment 1374984

·
Registered
171 Posts
The original plan was to fish Tuesday evenings high water at Weybourne. However as we all know, plans are sometimes prone to failure and due to events beyond my control, I ended up fishing Wednesday morning instead. Arrived at 06.00 with HW at 07.00 and trudged the shingle in the pouring rain. On this occasion I gambled and only walked a short distance, as opposed to the usual 15 minutes to the preferred spot, as I only has a couple of hours to fish.

To be honest I expected to blank, as not only was the sea as flat as a swimming pool, it was equally as clear.

Clearly the Whitebait were still present as they could be seen jumping when pursued by groups of Guillemots. This past week has offered a real opportunity to observe seabirds that I don't normally see from the shore. Including Gannets diving just 150 yards from shore. The Guillemots though have however proved unique, in so much as how close they will come to the shore if you just sit still. I always consider it an honour, when a wild bird treats me with a level of fear so minimal that it borders on friendship.

Back at the fishing the blank was looking odds on, as the red weed was horrendous. Two foot of weed on the line when you're only casting 15 yards is BAD!

Finally both the weed and the rain eased, the sun even came out and generated a rainbow, nice. Then I looked at the rain radar on my phone and realised a storm was approaching, so one more cast as blanking is bad, but electrocution is worse!

The tip on the right hand rod whacked over, picked it up and after a spirited tussle a fit 45cm bar of silver lay bright upon the shingle. That'll do nicely, now out of here as the thunder was getting louder and the sky darker. Chucked the gear into the car and was just tying up my shoes as the heavens opened. If that does prove to be my last Norfolk Bass of 2021 it most certainly was memorable.

View attachment 1374974

View attachment 1374975
Well done Alan perseverance paid off.
Great report as always. 😉

1 - 19 of 19 Posts