World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished off their boat at the new windfarm off llandudno/colwyn bay? We nearly made it some weeks back before this rotton weekend weather and were hoping to get out there this weekend if the sea state is favourable. As its a fair run from Conwy where we keep the boat, any advice for me and him would be appreciated. I fancy having a go for gurnard and he would like to have a go for a tope or a smoothy. We are very new to boat fishing and as yet are only catching a few fish, What rig would you use to tempt a tope or a smoothy? Hook size and bait. I will have to make up the rigs before we go as he is working away at the moment and is too boggled on a friday evening to get everything ready. Simple instructions as I am not the most practical of people. Cheers :help:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Has anyone fished off their boat at the new windfarm off llandudno/colwyn bay? We nearly made it some weeks back before this rotton weekend weather and were hoping to get out there this weekend if the sea state is favourable. As its a fair run from Conwy where we keep the boat, any advice for me and him would be appreciated. I fancy having a go for gurnard and he would like to have a go for a tope or a smoothy. We are very new to boat fishing and as yet are only catching a few fish, What rig would you use to tempt a tope or a smoothy? Hook size and bait. I will have to make up the rigs before we go as he is working away at the moment and is too boggled on a friday evening to get everything ready. Simple instructions as I am not the most practical of people. Cheers :help:

For the Tope just tie loop at one end of a 5-6 ft 200lb mono and a 6/0 strong hook on the other and fish on a flowing trace with a mackerel flapper.
As for the Smoothies, I would think they were more inshore than the windfarm (don`t quote me on this) pretty much the same as Tope but scale right down and try peeler as bait.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Shirley
We fish the banks around the area of the new windfarm when weather permits, launching from the pier slipway at C/Bay, before the construction began it was a banker for a few plaice on the drift, not big fish but up to about a couple of pounds if you were lucky, the most successful method i found is a three hook flowing trace around four to five foot in length with size 2 kamasans baited up with ragworm and tipped off with a small sliver of squid, beads and blades can be added to the rig if that's your thing.
Alas while the pile driving was underway last year the sea life around that area decided to move out and the couple of visits we made there were not very successful just a few dabs and weavers, this year even though the construction continues the pile driving is complete and we have picked up a few plaice in the area on a couple of visits even though the fish were quite small the best around the pound mark, i'm sure when everything settles down the fish will return and left alone by the trawlers could become quite prolific, this area can also produce gurnards, tubs and reds but not of good quality compared to the fish that can be taken from some of the marks around the Rhyl windfarm, here you can also take advantage of some of the best tope fishing in our area with tope of over 50lb a realistic possability, smoothhound can also be taken in this area but the better marks are not too far out from the estuary at Rhyl, they can also be taken from Llandullas off the river, as a previous poster mentioned flowing trace, hook size 2-0 or 3-0 with crab, softies just starting to harden up are perfect,
Hope this info helps you in your quest.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The North hoyle wind farm has been in place for six years now only holds small fish around the masts pout,whiting, one of the best tope fishing spots in our area was lost when they ran the cable from the wind farm too the shore staight through the middle of the spot result no more tope as i think they must pick a electric pulse up off the cable .The other thing to take into account with the two wind farm in our area they have been built on the top of two sand banks and the water is fairly shallow so when its rough the water gets very disturbed and everything gets thrown about this definately affects the fishing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys, I will bear it all in mind. The forecast is looking reasonable for a drift or two.

We bottled it last time when we were up on the bank and the fronts started pushing in. The sea definately started to heap up a bit by the west cardinal.

Steve do you have the lat and long for the new windfarm I would like to update our chart to ensure we have it marked down. We used to sail a bit but gave up for a couple of years so the ammendments to the chart is a bit off. I will definately be buying a new one next year as its looking a bit dog eared but could do with the location on the chart to be on the safe side.

Cheers everyone, will post any catches we have and thanks again.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Good luck shirley.

·
Registered
230 Posts
thanks for the info guys, I will bear it all in mind. The forecast is looking reasonable for a drift or two.

We bottled it last time when we were up on the bank and the fronts started pushing in. The sea definately started to heap up a bit by the west cardinal.

Steve do you have the lat and long for the new windfarm I would like to update our chart to ensure we have it marked down. We used to sail a bit but gave up for a couple of years so the ammendments to the chart is a bit off. I will definately be buying a new one next year as its looking a bit dog eared but could do with the location on the chart to be on the safe side.

Cheers everyone, will post any catches we have and thanks again.
no problem i will get the info off the boat and pm you cheers steve

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just got back and all in all, a good day.

We had a bit of a surprise, on the way to the boat we were looking out to sea and it was as smooth as a babies bum, fantastic. By the time we cleared the perch in conwy channel it was like riding a bucking bronco, wind over tide made for a bit of discomfort. headed round the orme and dropped down for a few macks for bait. 2 mins and half a dozen in the ice box, carried on round into llandudno bay and had a drift which saw me getting a gurnard (small but perfectly formed) on unbaited feathers. The a decent sized whiting. Bombed out to the bank and had a few drifts which resulted in a couple more gurnard. Tried and failed for a tope and smoothy but had a final rash of dogs, one of which was longer than my arm, and as my arm is about two and a half foot, it was a good old bow wow. Back into conwy and as it was fairly windless, he let me park the boat, What a brave and misguided individual my old fella is. Manages to get it in its snug little berth without damage to us or our neibours boats so I'm quite chuffed with myself, a bit more practice and I will be able to take it out myself. Hopefully, we will get out again tomorrow and see if we can scare out a few fish again. Thanks for all the info, it is all helping us improve and enjoy our fishing more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts