World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my baby on Loch Etive yesterday. She's now fitted with an engine "wedge" between the Etec and the transom. Unfortunately, it made no difference to the porpoising effect over about 20kts when the engine is anything other than fully down. We were 3 up yesterday (2 large humans - I count my twin 80Ah batteries and 75litre fuel tank as a third person!) Top speed was 30.0kts by GPS.

No.2 human sat up front during one run and this helped considerably (He's a 17 stone version).

The next step will be fitting the doel fins that are in the garage and I'll report back next time round.

T

·
0 Posts
I woud say that the boat will not benefit form any trim at high speed.
Keep the leg tucked right in except when using the trim to provider a better ride in heavy following seas at lower speed.

It is probably one of those compromises that you wil have to make if you want to enjoy this particular boat.

Move the batteries forward and keep said 17 stone chap forward to.
All boats handling are effect by trim.
I've just watched a Botnia Targa 27 (lovely boat) all over the place in the marina, bouncing off everything in sight due to a slight beam wind, three crew all leaning over one side and a fairly incompetent skipper.
If the crew were evenly spaced the handling would have been fine.

Tom

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One battery is under the helm seat and the other is under the steering console.

T

·
0 Posts
One battery is under the helm seat and the other is under the steering console.
In that case, keep her trimmed in unless you have a following sea and back of the speed a bit.

Every boat is different. even though 100 Warriors may come from the same mould they will all have their little nuances and quirks.

Tom

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Smartabs should help, as as I said before many Warrior owners down here in Dorset use them and I had them on my Samurai (identical hull). The combination of trim tabs and O/B trim gave total flexibility to cope with any weight distributation and ride.

Afishionado

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

could it be the combined weight of the fuel tank and that big lump of engine is weighing down the stern just too much, for the boat to perform correctly without ballast in the bow to level it out ???

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could well be Davy, but the 90 is the same weight as the 75 (which warrior sell), which is also a similar weight to a Honda 60 four stroke. I may look into drilling some holes, buying ("relocating") longer cables and look at putting the batteries as far forward as possible (2 x 33kg).

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

It may be worth a shot at running it with a near empty tank to see if that makes a difference before you get the drill out :)

T

·
0 Posts
Ticketty

That is a huge engine for the boat (90Hp?).
Weight aside, the level of torque would be enough to begin trying to lift the stern of the boat clear of the water with the engine trimmed in and with the engine trimmed out even the lsightest it will try and rocket the hole boat out of the water. The hull shape is not designed for that type of behaviour and I would be pretty sure that is what is creating the problem.

Even owners with far smaller engines have some issues regarding porpoising and Smart Tabs along with the already mentioned fixes go 95% of the way to curing it. With an engine that is way over the usual power for the boat you really will expect handling issues.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I agree with Toms comments above. I am afraid that I missed the 90hp engine in the origional letter, but as Tom has highlighted it I must agree that it is going to be a big factor in all this.

Maybe the boat came with the engine or you had the O/B from a prevous boat, but I often wonder why folk seem to think bigger is better and that top speed is all.
Often here we see posts "What's the top speed of an XYZ" In all honesty I think that is a daft question on a motor car let alone a boat!
It all depends on the conditions on the day and no two days will ever be identical.

The other post that crops up is the "what size engine should I put on a 15ft clinker launch" (sort of thing). Inevitably someone will promptly answer 20 to 30hp should be about right. Obviously without any knowledge of the subject.

When someone who does know what they are talking about points out that 5hp or maybe 10hp at the top end will be fine we get the 'ah but if there is a 6 knt tide he wont have enough power' answer. Unbloodybelievable.

Afishionado

T

·
0 Posts
Afishionado

Sorry, but off topic and it has just come to mind.

Speaking of getting things "right" on a boat.
Has my man Rob been in touch?
I know he has been trying to get some bits sorted for you.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Could well be Davy, but the 90 is the same weight as the 75 (which warrior sell), which is also a similar weight to a Honda 60 four stroke. I may look into drilling some holes, buying ("relocating") longer cables and look at putting the batteries as far forward as possible (2 x 33kg).
hi ticketty i have one battery under steering consul and one at the back under bait tanks , also carrying 13 gallon of fuel at the back end ,a 5hp yamaha donkey engine ,a big bucket of lead . i find the boat goes better if every one is standing at edge of cuddy hanging on to grab rails that hit yer teeth. if you are down luce bay or port logan this saturday or sunday i will be there give the 2 boats a run side by side and see what happens ,need to slow down for me only a old 60 bigfoot marineer on mine

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cocky, Am launching saltcoats on saturday and going to Pladda.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No smart tabs fitted endeavour

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
suggest ballast may be the problem. i was out yesterday and was doing 30 knts with no problems. back of the boat has 2 tanks of fuel + a battery + a box of mackies. up front was the anchor + me (fat git) + colin (another fat git) + leads. go faster than that and it does appear so i just ease back unless i need to wind someone up :)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm off to Pladda 3-up (plus batteries) on saturday Dale. I'll sit the other two up front and see what happens?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
ticketty we have a 17ft 6in shetland with a 100hp 4 stroke yamaha and nearing full speed we do get porpoising . when we were out last week i got my mate dave (big bloke) to sit on the nose.and the boat behaved nicely. mind you he said that it beat his ass up big time,and walked funny for 3 days,im not going to try it!! so the other answers could have it right weight the front.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts