World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easington 25th January 2018

Hi tide 2208hrs 5.4m (on the Bridlington tide)

Sea flat little or no wind building SW to 10-15MPH throughout the night.

With my days off (and chances to go fishing) being reduced due to a new rota at work I’m taking every opportunity to try get out and at least wet a line. As you know I live 100 miles from my nearest coast line & I tend to go for long sessions of a day or 2. I was hoping to go Wednesday through Thursday, however my bait supplier was poorly and my bait didn’t arrive until Thursday morning. So today was an exception however I was due back in work Friday night so in my logic it was better to stop up all Thursday night fishing so I could sleep before my 1st of 3 nights over the weekend.

Anyway I’m rambling, lets get back to the fishing. It was a cracking day & I as going to fish either Holmpton (my favourite Holderness mark) or Easington another favourable mark.

Believe it of not where the road splits to go to 1 mark or the other, there was 2 magpies on the road to Easington (2 for joy) so that’s where I ended up.

I arrived & was set up fishing by 1545 Plan was to make it to cod No.20 in 4 visits to the Holderness (I know I had an Orkney trip in but technically this is my 4th trip to the Holderness this season)

I didn’t have to wait too long for my first fish of the day in the form of a whiting.

As the sun set the wind seemed to calm off also.

It was 1800hrs before I had my first cod

No.15

After this I missed 2 really good slack liners They must have just been playing with my baited hooks. I had a steady few whiting and then a nice little surprise in the form of a bass.

The weed came on at around 2100hrs and boy was it a pain I almost jacked it in but I was still into the mops so I changed tactics. I set 3 rods up and just cast out 1 at a time and rotated them so I wasn’t wasting time pulling weed off and not fishing.

This method appeared to work well and I continued up to and over high water.

No.16

I called it a session at 0130hrs as the weed was beginning to become very troublesome.

No.17

No.18

No.19

Unfortunately I didn’t make my 20 but I did have 4 cod for the table

So filleted & vacu packed for the freezer.

Short stiff snoods were the order of the day with my 2 hook blood loop scratching rig taking all but 2 of the cod. My other rigs were droppers & the trust fixed pat. Top bait was yellow tails.

Post Script

After my run of nights I climbed into bed @ 0600hrs Monday morning only to be woken by the roofers next door @ 1000hrs so with a few hours to kill and a full tank of juice I headed to East Newton for another try to make 20. To cut short session even shorter I stayed 4 hours and on the last cast landed No. 20. I really didn’t wanna go home but I’d told the LHG I was on my way already lol. I only had frozen bait but its no excuse. People had some good bags off there today and I saw 2 5lbers landed by a chap just 100 yards to the North of me. As the tide receded I saw it was a double bank and I had been casting to far and should have dropped in the gutter where the fish all were (apparently lol)

The best cod of the season so far (blank saver)

I did a bit of moon stomping too lol

Again thanks for reading tight lines

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Nice report, thanks.
I did like the idea of using 3 rods and then rotating them when the weed became a problem, not really an idea I had thought of , like quite a few I would probably have thought of going home by then.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Easington 25th January 2018

Hi tide 2208hrs 5.4m (on the Bridlington tide)

Sea flat little or no wind building SW to 10-15MPH throughout the night.

With my days off (and chances to go fishing) being reduced due to a new rota at work I’m taking every opportunity to try get out and at least wet a line. As you know I live 100 miles from my nearest coast line & I tend to go for long sessions of a day or 2. I was hoping to go Wednesday through Thursday, however my bait supplier was poorly and my bait didn’t arrive until Thursday morning. So today was an exception however I was due back in work Friday night so in my logic it was better to stop up all Thursday night fishing so I could sleep before my 1st of 3 nights over the weekend.

Anyway I’m rambling, lets get back to the fishing. It was a cracking day & I as going to fish either Holmpton (my favourite Holderness mark) or Easington another favourable mark.

Believe it of not where the road splits to go to 1 mark or the other, there was 2 magpies on the road to Easington (2 for joy) so that’s where I ended up.

I arrived & was set up fishing by 1545 Plan was to make it to cod No.20 in 4 visits to the Holderness (I know I had an Orkney trip in but technically this is my 4th trip to the Holderness this season)

I didn’t have to wait too long for my first fish of the day in the form of a whiting.

As the sun set the wind seemed to calm off also.

It was 1800hrs before I had my first cod

No.15

After this I missed 2 really good slack liners They must have just been playing with my baited hooks. I had a steady few whiting and then a nice little surprise in the form of a bass.

The weed came on at around 2100hrs and boy was it a pain I almost jacked it in but I was still into the mops so I changed tactics. I set 3 rods up and just cast out 1 at a time and rotated them so I wasn’t wasting time pulling weed off and not fishing.

This method appeared to work well and I continued up to and over high water.

No.16

I called it a session at 0130hrs as the weed was beginning to become very troublesome.

No.17

No.18

No.19

Unfortunately I didn’t make my 20 but I did have 4 cod for the table

So filleted & vacu packed for the freezer.

Short stiff snoods were the order of the day with my 2 hook blood loop scratching rig taking all but 2 of the cod. My other rigs were droppers & the trust fixed pat. Top bait was yellow tails.

Post Script

After my run of nights I climbed into bed @ 0600hrs Monday morning only to be woken by the roofers next door @ 1000hrs so with a few hours to kill and a full tank of juice I headed to East Newton for another try to make 20. To cut short session even shorter I stayed 4 hours and on the last cast landed No. 20. I really didn’t wanna go home but I’d told the LHG I was on my way already lol. I only had frozen bait but its no excuse. People had some good bags off there today and I saw 2 5lbers landed by a chap just 100 yards to the North of me. As the tide receded I saw it was a double bank and I had been casting to far and should have dropped in the gutter where the fish all were (apparently lol)

The best cod of the season so far (blank saver)

I did a bit of moon stomping too lol

Again thanks for reading tight lines

Very entertaining report

1 - 4 of 4 Posts