World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
day off work today,and with a few aliveish worms in the fridge i decided to venture down the taw over the high water to search out a snotty old eel for the species list,a few casts and a bit of a move around found this snotty wriggler at high water
NUMBER 48 THE SILVER EEL!!
happy too beat last years score of 47 --only 2 more to go!!!!

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
Sad to see an endangered species being treated in such a poor way. Bit more respect required Johnny:uhuh:
LOL Skinned,cut into chunks,rolled in seasoned flour and chucked in the frying pan would be a much better treatment!!!!:bleh::thumbs:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh yes Matthew, I know all about Eels, my other pastime is specimen fresh water Eel fishing, and if handled correctly they can be un hooked and put back just the same as most other fish. But many anglers have no respect for these fish and rather than handle them with wet hands, just lunge at them with bits of rag,newspaper. these fish deserve a little more respect.

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
Oh yes Matthew, I know all about Eels, my other pastime is specimen fresh water Eel fishing, and if handled correctly they can be un hooked and put back just the same as most other fish. But many anglers have no respect for these fish and rather than handle them with wet hands, just lunge at them with bits of rag,newspaper. these fish deserve a little more respect.
I thought purposely targetting eels was illegal??? Or are you just dead baiting for perch/pike????

·
Registered
712 Posts
What is the best way to handle them?
Was always told newspaper was the best way as they seem to freeze? when you grab them?

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Holding the rod, camera and trying to get a snotty off would be a bit awkward. Im assuming the photo was to prove that the species was caught, and being hardy little ****ers, the eel would have swam off, never seen one croak it yet.:thumbs:

As with most things on the forum, if you dont like what you see, dont read it or look at the pictures :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
33 Posts
What is the best way to handle them?
Was always told newspaper was the best way as they seem to freeze? when you grab them?
The best way to handle them is to do it with very wet hands, and gently stoke them from the head to tail, this puts them into a very quiet state and the hook can be removed and the photos taken. The removal of slime from an Eel by using rags ,newspaper will give the Eel very little chance of survival once put back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abA7uzcQC4A&feature=related

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
Draw the sign of the cross in the sand and drop them on it,wont move an inch.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The best way to handle them is to do it with very wet hands, and gently stoke them from the head to tail, this puts them into a very quiet state and the hook can be removed and the photos taken. The removal of slime from an Eel by using rags ,newspaper will give the Eel very little chance of survival once put back.

Might get arrested for it but good tip cheers!

·
Registered
806 Posts

They remove the slime themselves and leave it on my rigs. So does that mean they are doomed?

on a slighty different note, I have stroked Conger Eels on their belly and they do the same.

·
Registered
133 Posts
As with most things on the forum, if you dont like what you see, dont read it or look at the pictures :thumbs::thumbs:
Personally speaking, i think the photo does angling no favours. If you want to keep a fish its your responsibility to kill it humanely or put it back with minimum delay. I certainly support and agree with people killing fish to eat but purposely allowing a fish to writhe around on the ground while you take your time to take a photo to prove you caught it, is in my view totally pointless and unacceptable. Its actually not that different to throwing all your rubbish on the rocks at the end of a session or leaving fish in a rockpool as mentioned on another thread - pointless and a complete dis-regard for the environment we all enjoy.

Put it this way if you were to ask a normal, reasonable person in the street what they thought,what do you think they would say?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Personally speaking, i think the photo does angling no favours. If you want to keep a fish its your responsibility to kill it humanely or put it back with minimum delay. I certainly support and agree with people killing fish to eat but purposely allowing a fish to writhe around on the ground while you take your time to take a photo to prove you caught it, is in my view totally pointless and unacceptable. Its actually not that different to throwing all your rubbish on the rocks at the end of a session or leaving fish in a rockpool as mentioned on another thread - pointless and a complete dis-regard for the environment we all enjoy.

Put it this way if you were to ask a normal, reasonable person in the street what they thought,what do you think they would say?
They would wonder what it was!

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
What a load of boll*x !

Johnny......go johnny go go go.....nearly there bud.....I'm gunna play poker and I reckon all in on 51 species.

If you can catch wrasse on bread......then 2012 is your year bud.

November trip on buttercup will hopefully get you one more species:yeah:

As for anyone who has caught slimed snakes....it's really not a fish for a photo pose......:nonono:

If the people who put in a tenth of the fishing hours you have to get your targets, they might be worthy of respect bud...meeee thinks not !..... Arm chair tree huggers m8

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i had a bite but apon striking the fish/rig was snagged for a few minuetes,i moved higher up the bank to pull at i differant angle,as the ebb had started and i pulled the fish free --it all ready was in a knot when it left the water --i carefully cut it free with sissors and removed the hook ,the fish smam off strongly -HAPPY DAYS-

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.