World Sea Fishing Forums banner
3301 - 3320 of 3370 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've just retired my 14 year old Simms jacket, which took a beating last year. It's really only suitable for trouting, and it can live out the rest of its life on fresh water, but it is well,well worn.
After reading Henry Gilbey's reviews of various Vision wading jackets I bought this Vene model from Stuart at FlyShed (via eBay) He is always keen on price and quick to post, so I've used him for all sorts over the years.
It seems to be just what I'm looking for- the fabric feels really tough, far more suitable for climbing down gorse-covered headlands than Goretex. The hood and high neck collar will keep out all those splashes, and the neoprene cuffs look like my wet sleeves may be a thing of the past.It is reasonably long in the back (I think it is classed as a boat jacket, rather than a wading jacket), and this means it could be worn without waders, if needed. Most wading jackets are just a little too short to allow this. At £253 it isn't cheap, but the alternatives, such as Scierra CR, don't look as durable.I imported my Simms when the dollar was weak, but it was still a major purchase, but it has lasted the distance- I fished two or three days a week on the reservoirs.
I'll try and post a proper review when it has had some serious use, but it's looking good....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I've just retired my 14 year old Simms jacket, which took a beating last year. It's really only suitable for trouting, and it can live out the rest of its life on fresh water, but it is well,well worn.
After reading Henry Gilbey's reviews of various Vision wading jackets I bought this Vene model from Stuart at FlyShed (via eBay) He is always keen on price and quick to post, so I've used him for all sorts over the years.
It seems to be just what I'm looking for- the fabric feels really tough, far more suitable for climbing down gorse-covered headlands than Goretex. The hood and high neck collar will keep out all those splashes, and the neoprene cuffs look like my wet sleeves may be a thing of the past.It is reasonably long in the back (I think it is classed as a boat jacket, rather than a wading jacket), and this means it could be worn without waders, if needed. Most wading jackets are just a little too short to allow this. At £253 it isn't cheap, but the alternatives, such as Scierra CR, don't look as durable.I imported my Simms when the dollar was weak, but it was still a major purchase, but it has lasted the distance- I fished two or three days a week on the reservoirs.
I'll try and post a proper review when it has had some serious use, but it's looking good....
I am a big fan of the Scierra jackets. I've had mine a few years and it's survived everything from deep wading to kayaking, completely immersed on several occasions, and shows no signs of wear.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
View attachment 1364765
My new shimano dialuna and shimano spheros 3000 been out once so far for a practice casting session seemed to be pretty darn fine to me.

Now to get a monster bass on the end of it and ill be proper happy.

Nutsy
How do you find the spheros reel? I know you’ve only had a practice chuck, just interested in another spare to my Vanford.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you used the blazing sardine pattern before
No not tried that one, just had a quick google and looks tempting though, have you had much success with it?
Sorry completely misread your post i thought you were referring to a different colour that came up when i googled it (turned out to be laser sardine) 😂 i think this this one is called burning sardine? but close enough.

I had great success with this lure last time i was down there so picked up a backup and one for the lad to use as he's desperate to catch his first bass himself!

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
I had great success with this lure last time i was down there so picked up a backup and one for the lad to use as he's desperate to catch his first bass himself!
Thanks for getting back to me, and I knew it started with a B and was hot :D

Reactions: Don2121
3301 - 3320 of 3370 Posts