World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:marinheir being that the sea had to much swell today for the boat a cunning plan was made to fish the sand beech ashore of where i normaly fish with the boat , my son myself and a m8t all took off with five rods between us makkie for bait and a heap of grip legs , got settled in after a bit of a hike baited up and slung the first one out to see how it was going to go before slinging out a second one it was a bit difficult holding the bottom with the swell but a change of angle cured that and the second rod went out , dabs were active from the start one after another it was difficult to concentrate between dogs ****in on my bait box people speaking and the sea washing my tackle box around :thumbdown
the first thing i noticed that the dabs were of a bigger size than normal and more frequent and wondered if this was down to the swell and bigger fish being stronger swimmers i was hoping to claim a bass but not to be got a small dover sole and a few flounder , but all in a cracking sesh catching over a hundred dabs between us and keeping about half for the pot it makes for a change to cod fishing and it is nice to get the big rods out even though its not winter , smoked dab on the menu tomorrow me thinks

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Busy time there matey! What is it with dogs and tackle bags? Must be that it's the only thing on the beach to pi55 on!!! Looked like a good day for it.
Cheers,
Sam

·
Registered
377 Posts
i think i recognise them grains of sand, you got me thinking of stretching the diesel budget again! thanks for sharing!

baz

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
That Dover Sole must be knackered. It must've got lost! :bleh:
Well done on the catch. That's some haul of Dabs.

PS. Bazza, I'm booking my seat now!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i recognise them grains of sand, you got me thinking of stretching the diesel budget again! thanks for sharing!

baz
:clap: well spotted this sand is unique to this beech can you bring a pi55 pot for the dugs!!by the time we left it was hoochin with barbecue people and even more dugs

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
great catch there paul,never seen bags of sizeable flatties like that for decades when methil and guardbridge were at their peak.itching to get out on the boat again, it's a beautiful day with wind easing but the swell will still be too big today,got out on thursday evening tho for couple hours and caught a few cod and mackies for the pot,must try a sesh for the dabs soon seeing as they're a good size now,cheers,bill

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great catch there paul,never seen bags of sizeable flatties like that for decades when methil and guardbridge were at their peak.itching to get out on the boat again, it's a beautiful day with wind easing but the swell will still be too big today,got out on thursday evening tho for couple hours and caught a few cod and mackies for the pot,must try a sesh for the dabs soon seeing as they're a good size now,cheers,bill
i think its a tad worse today here bill and dont think it will be much good on the sand , either as wont be able to keep the bottom , we dont see to many dabs like this either so i just put that down to good conditions , i dont know if you get the press and journel or not but ian balgowen skipper of the sweet promise at stony has a write up in last weeks paper on his veiws on the improvement in the north sea fishing it makes for good reading and goes hand in hand with increased catches by forum members this last year or two dabs like this and bigger were the norm at one time and often used as creel bait , cheers paul

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
brill catch o dabs there ,we do get some doon oor way but not to that quantity,only ever caught 2 soles here that was at st andrews 3 years ago .....:thumbs:Iain.....................

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great catch of dabs!
Maybe it's just me.......but......I recognise that sandy bit and was pretty much on the exact same spot as you last Wednesday evening - lug, mackie, squid bait proper flattie rigs etc. etc. The result? 1 wee flounder!
There was nothing like as much of a surf running - just a wee gentle swell really on a beautiful evening.
So, assuming it's not just me, it shows what difference conditions can make. Wonder if tide had much to do with it? We fished high down to about half tide.
It's a long hike up there, but I fancy giving it another shot when conditions are more like you had - I'd just about written it off as yet another "worth a go but won't be back" type place.
all the best
Bob

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
big plaice were plentiful too till the charters and others netted them to near oblivion! are they making a comeback too? cheers,bill
i dont know about the place bill , there havent been many here this long time , but stony was a great bit for them and maybe they are showing up again a lug worm in the castle hole use to throw up good place in its day and this is the time of year for it
would be nice if it got back to that again !!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great catch of dabs!
Maybe it's just me.......but......I recognise that sandy bit and was pretty much on the exact same spot as you last Wednesday evening - lug, mackie, squid bait proper flattie rigs etc. etc. The result? 1 wee flounder!
There was nothing like as much of a surf running - just a wee gentle swell really on a beautiful evening.
So, assuming it's not just me, it shows what difference conditions can make. Wonder if tide had much to do with it? We fished high down to about half tide.
It's a long hike up there, but I fancy giving it another shot when conditions are more like you had - I'd just about written it off as yet another "worth a go but won't be back" type place.
all the best
Bob
:marinheir nothing like a we drop northerly to exite the flatti and the parton up the creel boyz will be full of partons on monday when they haul

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ian Balgowen, and the Sweet Promise, now that IS a blast from the past !

Used to fish out of Stoney with Ian Balgowen on the Sweet Promise about 35 years ago.

Fishing style has been refined since those days it has to be said, used to be a big pirk with 3-6 pink muppets above it, it was less fishing finness and more winching with 50lb class tackle.

If only we knew then, what we know now, how much pleasurable the experience would have been.

Sadly the days of being able to catch well in excess of 1000lb of prime cod in a day are gone, but as a species we humans only seem to learn from our errors, and always when it is too late.

Wasn't there another vessel called the Triple Cluster operating out of Stoney around that time ?

i think its a tad worse today here bill and dont think it will be much good on the sand , either as wont be able to keep the bottom , we dont see to many dabs like this either so i just put that down to good conditions , i dont know if you get the press and journel or not but ian balgowen skipper of the sweet promise at stony has a write up in last weeks paper on his veiws on the improvement in the north sea fishing it makes for good reading and goes hand in hand with increased catches by forum members this last year or two dabs like this and bigger were the norm at one time and often used as creel bait , cheers paul

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ian Balgowen, and the Sweet Promise, now that IS a blast from the past !

Used to fish out of Stoney with Ian Balgowen on the Sweet Promise about 35 years ago.

Fishing style has been refined since those days it has to be said, used to be a big pirk with 3-6 pink muppets above it, it was less fishing finness and more winching with 50lb class tackle.

If only we knew then, what we know now, how much pleasurable the experience would have been.

Sadly the days of being able to catch well in excess of 1000lb of prime cod in a day are gone, but as a species we humans only seem to learn from our errors, and always when it is too late.

Wasn't there another vessel called the Triple Cluster operating out of Stoney around that time ?
sweet promise ... ian balgowen sein net / gill nets /ripper
tripple cluster ... cant remember !! trawl
trustfull ... robie andrews trawl / gill nets
guiding star ... myself trawl /gill nets / ripper
bonni lass ... james cargill trawl
wanderer j cargill jnr
and many other angling boats at that time , stony at that time was on the map for angling with the harbour master s wife Ethel cargill running the shooting match , good days long gone :thumbdown

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
sweet promise ... ian balgowen sein net / gill nets /ripper
tripple cluster ... cant remember !! trawl
trustfull ... robie andrews trawl / gill nets
guiding star ... myself trawl /gill nets / ripper
bonni lass ... james cargill trawl
wanderer j cargill jnr
and many other angling boats at that time , stony at that time was on the map for angling with the harbour master s wife Ethel cargill running the shooting match , good days long gone :thumbdown
remember these days well paul,cod to 46lb ling to 58lb,double figure coalies,my brother had a 4 1/2lb plaice off the stony 5ml wreck too,
gill netters taking porgies off the wrecks! i remember ethel and always thought then that standing on the pier looking at the sea that she cancelled too many days fishing without proper justification but as i know now 5mls off is a very different world!
cheers,bill

1 - 20 of 29 Posts