World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again the time of year approaches when SAS will be putting on the Inter County open.

The date is Saturday 25 September, book-in from 8.30am and fish from 10am-3pm

The venue as always is Widewater beach, Shoreham, West Sussex

As well as being an individual match with the usual cash prizes (1-2-3-4, best flat, best round, most fish), there will be the Intercounty Cup.

The Intercounty Cup is a trophy that brings glory and bragging rights only and will be awarded to the County whose 4 highest finishers have the biggest average points total. If less than four anglers from a County are fishing then the County points total will be worked out across 3, 2, or even 1 angler. The County you represent is based on where you live not where you were born!

There will be free breakfast grub available before the match and curry and other delights after the match. Plus hot and cold drinks. Also after the match we will have a raffle for club funds which will consist of angling related goodies large and small.

Basic match rules:
£10 entry of which £5 goes into the prize money pool and £5 to our charities (RNLI & the Chestnut Tree House hospice for children)
The match will be pegged, with pegs set aside for cooks, organiser and the disabled
1 rod, 3 hooks max
Any bait
Measure and release to SAMF length to weight points charts
Additional 20 points per species
Mackerel attract species points but each fish counts as 1 point only
Garfish limit of 5
No weevers, shad or sea trout

Entrants are limited to single best cash prize only for the match. But you can buy as many raffle tickets as you like and win as many raffle prizes as you like!

The more the merrier. Any questions feel free to PM me or post on this thread. Please do let me know in good time if you are coming so we know how much food to get in and how many pegs will be needed.

I will post updated details as and when available, including directions for anyone wondering where this is.

For those who have loads of stamina and bait, there is an ISAC match along the same stretch on the evening tide.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to see we will have a decent contingent from the exotic east! If you keep checking back on the South Coast version of this thread there will be more frequent updates with regard to major things such as the grub on offer!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The day of the 2010 Inter County meet dawned bright, clear and absolutely freezing. We were expecting our best turn out yet, and so it proved with 43 seniors and 4 juniors coming along to help raise money for our charities, get some free grub, enter a raffle for club funds and, above all, catch some fish.

The match itself was fished in clear, sunny conditions with a nippy northerly on our backs. Good numbers of decent fish were landed considering the weather and water clarity. From the cards that were returned to me (I know some with fish on were not) 252 fish were recorded – 115 golden grey mullet, 95 bass, 16 flounders, 12 garfish, 7 gurnard, 5 mackerel and 2 red mullet.

1 - Malcolm Stote with 25 fish for 714 points
2 - Callum Graham with 16 fish for 534 points
3 - Chris Snow with 12 fish for 485 points
4 - Paul Robinson with 10 fish for 478 points

West Sussex won the Inter County trophy, calculated on the average score of the top four anglers (or less) from each county. The four top West Sussex anglers were Chris Snow, Paul Robinson, Dave Rudland and Ian Levins with an average score of 448. Second were Dorset with an average score of 431 – Callum and David Graham. Third were Hants with an average score of 315 – Malcolm Stote, Andy and Reece Colmer. Had we done it based on the average scores of the top five or less anglers per county then Dorset would have won easily, so thank goodness I set the rules correctly beforehand to ensure glory to the home team!

Two anglers caught the best round fish – Paul Robinson and Terry Small both had a 46cm golden greys, but under the one prize per angler rule the prize went to Terry Small

The best round was a 29cm flounder for Darren Johnston – nearly deprived of his glory by my own ineptitude in calling out another fish as the best flat (sorry, Mr Rudland).

Malcolm Stote had most fish with 25, followed by Callum Graham with 16 but since they were in the main prize list, the most fish prize went to David Graham with 14.

The top junior was Reece Colmer with 3 fish for 93 points, second was John Johnston with a GG for 67 points and the best junior fish under SAS prize rules went to Michael Knight. Well done.

We raised a total of £215 for our charities – the RNLI and Chestnut Tree, paid out £235 in prize money (the junior entry fees is paid stright back out with a little top up..) and raised a superb sum for club funds from the raffle - I don’t know how much though – to keep membership free, to keep us all insured and to put aside for some exciting activities planned for the future.

Following a draw from 4 blankers in total, the Blankers Cup was presented to our much loved and highly esteemed Secretary (and Chef Extraordinaire), Mike Harwood (BloatedCod). He was odds on in one respect as he started late and finished early to make sure that there was plenty of hot food and drink for all. More than any other individual, Mike is the glue that keeps our club together – he is heart and soul of SAS and no-one deserves more thanks than him for the successful and enjoyable day we shared yesterday.

Special thanks to our club sponsors TronixPro from whom we had the usual plethora of excellent prizes for the raffle. And we must also give our grateful thanks for further donations to the raffle from Prime Angling, Worthing, Mighty Bright, World Sea Fishing and Anyfish Anywhere.

My apologies to those who were affected by my getting the release of pegs slightly wrong so that they either ended up a hike from another angler or were allocated a peg already drawn by a pair or a junior. I can only promise that next year I will do better – learned a few organisational lessons from such a fantastic turn out yesterday.

Last, but not least, my sincere thanks to everyone who turned out to make yesterday our biggest and best Inter-County yet. It was great to see some familar faces again from the mysterious east and we look forward to seeing you all again next year. How on earth did Ash manage to win so many blinking raffle prizes? If I was him I'd start doing the lottery!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of pics of the day by George (Badger2) and Sean (Underwaterimage) can be found on the SAS facebook page. Hopefully they will post a few up on here as well and on the SAS website.

For those who prefer quieter matches, our Winter League kicks off on 5 October. All matches are fished midweek 7-11 at a variety of local venues. Fiver to join the league, a fiver per match, 100% payout overall - about 90% on the night and the rest in overall league prizes. See new thread on the South Coast meets and matches forum for more details.

Our next main matches are the SAS Club Championship on 16 October, for which you have to be a member and to have fished at least 3 SAS matches since the last Winter Solstice Cup. This will be 100% payout match, £10 to enter 1 rod, 2 hooks any bait and some extra prizes. As this is a serious(ish) match rather than a meet which includes a match there will be no food/drink and no raffle. Venue yet to be confirmed but it will be Shoreham beach somehwere or other. Then for members only there will be the Winter Solstice Trophy on the West Arm on 11 December, fish noon to 5pm, 1 rod, 3 hooks any bait, £10 to enter, 50% to our charities, a raffle for club funds and food and drink before and after.

For anyone thinking of joining up to fish these matches - its free and membership includes personal liability insurance. Contact BloatedCod or me for a membership form.

Thanks again to all who came along to the Inter County.

·
Wind Up Merchant
5,985 Posts
it was really nice bringing the biggest fish trophy back to the shores of essex lol,:victory::victory:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.