World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again this year SAS will be putting on the Inter County open.

The date is Saturday 17 September, book-in from 10am and fish from 12noon to 5pm

The venue as always is Widewater beach, Shoreham, West Sussex

As well as being an individual match with the usual cash prizes (1-2-3-4, best flat, best round, most fish), there will be the Intercounty Cup.

The Intercounty Cup is a trophy that brings glory and bragging rights only and will be awarded to the County whose 4 highest finishers have the biggest average points total. If less than four anglers from a County are fishing then the County points total will be worked out across 3, 2, or even 1 angler. The County you represent is based on where you live not where you were born! West Sussex are the current holders.

There will be free grub available before the match followed by curry and other delights after the match. Plus hot and cold drinks. Also after the match we will have a raffle for club funds which will consist of angling related goodies large and small.

Basic match rules:
£10 entry of which £5 goes into the prize money pool and £5 to our charities
The match will be pegged, with pegs set aside for cooks, organiser and the disabled
1 rod, 3 hooks max
Any bait - no lures or feathers.
Measure and release to length to weight points charts
Additional 20 points per species
Mackerel will count this year - we have our own points system for these
Garfish limit of 5
No weevers, shad or sea trout

Entrants are limited to single best cash prize only for the match. But you can buy as many raffle tickets as you like and win as many raffle prizes as you like!

The more the merrier. Any questions feel free to PM me or post on this thread. Please do let me know in good time if you are coming so we know how much food to get in and how many pegs will be needed.

Looking forward to seeing many familiar faces and hopefully some new ones too!

·
Registered
371 Posts
hi mark,
i'll be there mate!!....just one question?
if there's no limit for mackie...why have a limit for gars?
if you don't have a beach with gg's on at least it gives
you something else to target!!!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi mark,
i'll be there mate!!....just one question?
if there's no limit for mackie...why have a limit for gars?
if you don't have a beach with gg's on at least it gives
you something else to target!!!
The underlying reason is that everyone tends to keep mackerel anyway whereas gars usually go back. Except that gars do not go back very well and we do not want a situation where there is garfish carnage. Since it is possible when they are going nuts to have 30 or 40 out, in theory that could mean a lot of dead or dying gars washing up on the beach.

Its a committee rule as much as mine, though I do agree with it. That said, I would'nt be too bothered about either raising the limit or dispensing with it altogether for the InterCounty.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Good to hear this is on again this year. Looking forward to it.

I tend to think that if a limit is applied to any species then it should be applied to all. Although I suppose I understand the principle of not fishing for fish that will tend to die if caught and which you don't eat. I always assumed gar went back OK as I've never seen any dead ones floating around unlike pout & whiting. Anyway I'd support any rules the committee feel are appropriate.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The underlying reason is that everyone tends to keep mackerel anyway whereas gars usually go back. Except that gars do not go back very well and we do not want a situation where there is garfish carnage. Since it is possible when they are going nuts to have 30 or 40 out, in theory that could mean a lot of dead or dying gars washing up on the beach.

Its a committee rule as much as mine, though I do agree with it. That said, I would'nt be too bothered about either raising the limit or dispensing with it altogether for the InterCounty.
does that mean the committee will put a limit on whiting?
as they don't go back very well either!...
at least gars make good winter bait...
as i see it we are doing c & r which is better than putting them in a
bucket!....you can't go around protecting all the species otherewise
it won't be worth going fishing!!!!!:doh:

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Well I have nothing better to do on that date.
And for those who need bait this year, due to my new job I will be unable to dig maddies due to the time restraints. However as most of you live in the kent/Essex area I have pm baitman so he should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does that mean the committee will put a limit on whiting?
as they don't go back very well either!...
at least gars make good winter bait...
as i see it we are doing c & r which is better than putting them in a
bucket!....you can't go around protecting all the species otherewise
it won't be worth going fishing!!!!!:doh:
The difference being that it is easy to avoid catching gars to target other species whereas in winter time avoiding whiting is pretty much impossible if you are trying to catch anything else. Measuring a gar results in them losing shedloads of scales and often in them getting damaged beaks.

Every year the gar limit question comes up and every year it ends up staying the same apart from year one when it was a 2 gar limit. I have no problem at all with the limit being abandoned but it isn't totally my decision

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
The difference being that it is easy to avoid catching gars to target other species whereas in winter time avoiding whiting is pretty much impossible if you are trying to catch anything else. Measuring a gar results in them losing shedloads of scales and often in them getting damaged beaks.

Every year the gar limit question comes up and every year it ends up staying the same apart from year one when it was a 2 gar limit. I have no problem at all with the limit being abandoned but it isn't totally my decision
If it aint broke dont fix it :giveup: SAS matches have 5 gar limits so why change it , also the "tourist tackle brigade" will be scared to run over to get their fish signed in straight away as they catch them as thier lovely thin rods may bend too much and will simply fill their buckets up with "multiple casts" fish (against the rules ) and then probably wont fill their cards in till the end as they will not want to waste valuable time .

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
THE SAS INTERCOUNTY OPEN MENU 2011

17TH September 2011

MORNING SERVINGS

BEST BACK UNSMOKED BACON ROLLS

SAUSAGE IN FINGER ROLL

POACHED EGGS

ADDITIONAL VARIOUS CONDIMENTS

TEA

COFFEE

ASSORTED COLD BEVERAGES

AFTERNOON SERVINGS

HOMEMADE CHINESE CHICKEN CURRY

(SERVED WITH PLAIN WHITE RICE)

HOMEMADE 4OZ BEEFBURGER

(IN SESAME BUN WITH OPTIONAL SWEET ONION)

ADDITIONAL VARIOUS CONDIMENTS

TEA

COFFEE

ASSORTED COLD BEVERAGES

MORNING SERVICE WILL COMMENCE AT 10.15

AFTERNOON SERVICE FROM 5.10

WEATHER PERMITTING

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I can't let the side down so i'll be there as per usual Mark.
Another thing am I still owed £19 from the last winter league?. If so can a tenner go towards my entrance fee, n the other £9 go in the charity pot.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a broken record. PLEEEEEASE email the SAS members about this. I only just saw this by chance as im not on WSF that often. I missed the last sas event as I didnt go on here to find out about it until the last minute. Cheers all.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a broken record. PLEEEEEASE email the SAS members about this. I only just saw this by chance as im not on WSF that often. I missed the last sas event as I didnt go on here to find out about it until the last minute. Cheers all.
goes out later this week mr uwi

·
Registered
371 Posts
hi all,
there does'nt seem to be much interest on this thread for the
inter county....how many have we got so far?
there must be more of you out there who would like to fish a friendly
match,raise a bit of money for charity,and eat and drink as much as
you like for very little money!:drunk:
its also a chance for people to catch a golden grey mullet which is not available to catch in other county's..

hope to see a few more listed on here soon....

all the best mr puddles.......:wheelchai

·
Registered
803 Posts
hi all,
there does'nt seem to be much interest on this thread for the
inter county....how many have we got so far?
there must be more of you out there who would like to fish a friendly
match,raise a bit of money for charity,and eat and drink as much as
you like for very little money!:drunk:
its also a chance for people to catch a golden grey mullet which is not available to catch in other county's..

hope to see a few more listed on here soon....

all the best mr puddles.......:wheelchai
Would like to go but have no time to get bait!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts