World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we can sort out the trawlers killing the bulk of our fishing I would gladly pay for a sea fishing permit if it allowed some of the money to go toward emplying baliffs to police the regular venues like The Deeps, Penarth, Foreshore, etc.

These are the places where the idiot sometiles fishes, he is the person likely to not only leave litter but also take small fish or fail to hamanely dispatch a fish for the table. He is alos the idiot who whenhe does have a lucky nite instead of taking a nice cod for the table will kill every fish he catches.

So what if not every sea angler pays a minimal fee, if enough people pay, it may raise enough for baliffs to have aword with these people and have a bit of authority to embarress them, also they could educate the kids.

On big tides and warm nites these venues are usually busy, therefore easy to show a prescence. One thing is for certain an angler getting into a scrap with another angler over litter is not likely to bother the courts but an angler thumping an official baliff would be a serious offence and just by their prescence paid baliffs would slowly change bad habits.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i hear excatly what your saying about the idiot.last year when fishing down by worms head,myself and a friend couldnt get to our usual spot because a gang of idiots were there catching undersize bass and just throwing them on the rocks, i personally have never taken an undersize bass for whatever reason, but these guys were just killing them as if out of frustration for them not being 10 pounders a lack of education or just sheer arrogance, as if they deserved every big fish in the sea that night as you rightly say i dread to think about the scenario if i had confronted them about their actions but also an area like that would be difficult to police with the way things are going and the scarcity of fish along our coastlines i think people should be made to take a little course where they buy the fishing gear from just to educate them if only a small amount
"a walk of a thousand miles starts with one step"

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I hear what the pair of you are saying & I agree, both topics rub me up the wrong way as well, but we have litter wardens in the local authority who will act on any information given, & get it cleared, as well as "show a face"there, (not out on the Worm though), to deter offenders!
We have a Sea Fisheries Committee & Sea Fisheries Officers, who are supposed to enforce, "existing legislation"! which includes the taking/killing of undersized fish, (not just chasing the chinese collecting crabs on the Mumbles Lighthouse Island)! However they are so thin on the ground that you have probably never seen one, do you want to pay a licence to do so? Do you want to pay a licence to see more police on the street, the answer to both should be NO!
Both these functions are statutory functions which our local authorities are OBLIGED to carry out, under their existing Local Plan or their new U.D.P.
Any monies collected from a licence fee, should be used to CREATE such things as artificial reefs, not to provide "peaked hats" to go around doing what we already pay for!
Far more good would come from asking your local authorities, why they have cut their contributions to their local Sea Fisheries Committee's over the years, making them almost ineffectual against those they were set up to police! & any prizes for guessing who that was?
blueskip

·
Registered
302 Posts
Glentlemen.

firstly may i commend u on the posts above. i found u coverd a subject close to my heart.

when i started doing this thing called seafishing (something that has now become a fantastic part of my leasure time) my tutor being a person who works for "keep wales tidy"not only did he show me how to tie a hook to line but insisted that i follow a code that i was lead to beleive was set in stone.......always, always, take your litter with u
near all the marks around the coast has a rubbish bin if this is not the case i think its fair to say we all carry a bait bucket.

i have posted notes of this in the past on the site as i was astounded by the amount of litter on the west peir at swansea this mark was also the place that i first came arcoss a man in his later years smashing a dog fish cross the metal railings.....i must admit i didnt say anything to this person but just passed my comments to my mate that i was fishing with......now with some time under my belt so to speak i would have something to say.....if i of years can learn to do the decent thing..try to treat my catch with care where possible and putting my litter in a plakie bag then so can u sorry but none of us has an excuse

thanks for reading this

Russell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts