World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the summer is nearly here,i cant wait as i will be going for mackerel and smelt and i will be using the smelt for live bait and hopefully catch a big bass?
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

·
Registered
460 Posts
the summer is nearly here,i cant wait as i will be going for mackerel and smelt and i will be using the smelt for live bait and hopefully catch a big bass?
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy
All good things to those who wait.. you better be at school, and don't get caught on the teachers pc..x

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Whats the biggest bass caught on the pier in the last 10yrs ?

Also,you lot play another game. Heaviest swung smoothound,not sure its too clever :nonono: but anyway,whats the current record,who by and on what rod ?:g:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Whats the biggest bass caught on the pier in the last 10yrs ?

Also,you lot play another game. Heaviest swung smoothound,not sure its too clever :nonono: but anyway,whats the current record,who by and on what rod ?:g:
sussex schu has the pier record for bass 13lb 14oz, young ryan has the smoothy record swung up, schumacer will give you the exact weight, def double figures.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
sussex schu has the pier record for bass 13lb 14oz, young ryan has the smoothy record swung up, schumacer will give you the exact weight, def double figures.
Ryan has the record for biggest smoothound (15lb 8oz) caught and landed on the pier but he used a net to get it up. seen some bigger ones lost. i managed to swing an 11lb hound up then vic beat it with a 11-2 (current swinging record). i also somehow swung up an 9lb 12oz hound from the jetty when the water was only about 2 foot deep. Only seen one rod snap and that was some kid with a 4lb hound. :secret:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
im lost why you lads not just take a drop net?
oh ernie do you still get the schools of smelt round the landing stage in the summer?

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
im lost why you lads not just take a drop net?
oh ernie do you still get the schools of smelt round the landing stage in the summer?
Alot of the drop nets aint big enough for a good smoothound. a number of times i've seen a hound jump straight out of the net and back in the sea.

caught a smelt on the pier saturday - they normally arrive about now and turn up the same times at the cuttles. there seem to be cuttle pots all along the front of the pier now.

happy shopkeeper sells good feathers for smelt when they turn up - sabiki feathers - catch 6 at a time. :clap2:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
sabikis ar great! i bait them up with tiny bits of lug/rag anything
and hand line it!
just a quick question , i was always told when live baiting a smelt
to put the hook through its back (looking back this makes no sence)
do you just hook them through the lip or nostrils like other live baits?
(also bloody handy to stock up the freezer for the pike)

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
sabikis ar great! i bait them up with tiny bits of lug/rag anything
and hand line it!
just a quick question , i was always told when live baiting a smelt
to put the hook through its back (looking back this makes no sence)
do you just hook them through the lip or nostrils like other live baits?
(also bloody handy to stock up the freezer for the pike)
I normally hook them through the top lip. Stay alive all day like that. We also catch smelt on bits of carrier bags - rip a tiny piece of white bag - put on a very small hook and they take them as well.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Ryan has the record for biggest smoothound (15lb 8oz) caught and landed on the pier but he used a net to get it up. seen some bigger ones lost. i managed to swing an 11lb hound up then vic beat it with a 11-2 (current swinging record). i also somehow swung up an 9lb 12oz hound from the jetty when the water was only about 2 foot deep. Only seen one rod snap and that was some kid with a 4lb hound. :secret:
Is vic the extremely well turned out chap,say for the hair that looks like a burst mattress ?:blink:

·
Registered
213 Posts
is vic the bloke who uses the imax bag and nearly always fishes at the arcade
or the bloke who sometimes fishes with ali and has that shabby laundrey bag?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts