World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mate dropped into work today for a brew, and in formed me that good fishing was had out of Castletown at the weekend. Tope Tope and more Tope.

Very early for them to be here, maybe you Welsh men should be giving it a go this weekend with the good weather expected

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The first run of smaller male pack tope should be reaching the soutwest coast of Scotland soon then! What size are they mate about 5-15lb? I noticed that a few more mackerel are showing up, and it wont be long before they arrive in numbers. Is your friend catching them on mackerel or flounder at the moment?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate whiting, The NW coast of the island is renowned for it's Tope fishing from the shore, we get some great runs of fish on the evening tides, the only bait is mackerel.

Bass ic, all in the 20/25Lbs range, on Mackerel, we've had mackerel here all winter at Peel breakwater, big fish to.
If this is down to global warming long may it last!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Sounds a good omen for the up coming bank holiday weekend. I will be up Luce Bay in search of some larger specimens, to date my best Tope is a 12lb male. Although to be fair i have not targeted them much and it was not until two summers ago we learnt a few of the first run tope marks and tactics for them. Interestingly enough i have heard a few lads mention that they have caught mackerel all year round on the IOW. I had a single big mackerel in Luce Bay over two weeks back from the boat but havent heard of many others, perhaps i killed the scout maybe?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I hate whiting, The NW coast of the island is renowned for it's Tope fishing from the shore, we get some great runs of fish on the evening tides, the only bait is mackerel.

Bass ic, all in the 20/25Lbs range, on Mackerel, we've had mackerel here all winter at Peel breakwater, big fish to.
If this is down to global warming long may it last!!
Was talking to big Mallies son in the Clash on Friday night gone.He said some mackerel were being taken from the wall mark at the end of the Mull :)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Aye heard a lad had a few spinning off the end of the Mull over easter bankholiday weekend at Lagvag point. I thought Malcolm and Ian Burett were still up in Oban fishing for Skate?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Aye heard a lad had a few spinning off the end of the Mull over easter bankholiday weekend at Lagvag point. I thought Malcolm and Ian Burett were still up in Oban fishing for Skate?
I'm back now to do some proper fishing. Bring on the tope. :clap2: :clap2:

The mackerel and Herring were around in big numbers last year when i was in Oban. By the time we had started fishing down this way, they had disappeared until their normal time of arrival, so who knows. Hopefully I will find out this Saturday.

·
Registered
462 Posts
A mate dropped into work today for a brew, and in formed me that good fishing was had out of Castletown at the weekend. Tope Tope and more Tope.

Very early for them to be here, maybe you Welsh men should be giving it a go this weekend with the good weather expected
Hi,
A charter boat out of Aberdovey had 57 Tope landed earlier this week, not in the 15lb bracket but 25 and up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like your in for a good weekend up at the Mull Ian, we're still full of herring here.. I've got a good days work yet to get the boat ship shape, other wise with the forecast I'd have been tempted to take a run up for the weekend, just to moor in Drummore harbour to upset the "harbour masters" LOL

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looks like your in for a good weekend up at the Mull Ian, we're still full of herring here.. I've got a good days work yet to get the boat ship shape, other wise with the forecast I'd have been tempted to take a run up for the weekend, just to moor in Drummore harbour to upset the "harbour masters" LOL
Forecasts look like easterlies for a week so will end up of Logan, The launce will be in even if the mackrel don't show, so should do well on the Pollack. I will try for the tope later in the week.

One of the harbor master's house is up for sale. Perhaps he has had enough

1 - 11 of 11 Posts