World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of an odd report but here you go.
4 of us fished our local dock last night and I had a surprise hook up on my ultralight and a 1g #6 jighead baited with ragworm.
The almost unmovable object was finally eased to the surface to reveal its self

A monster conger of around 35-40 lb lol

It had a girth circumference of about 2ft and was between 5-6ft long.

It made another dive to the bottom and it took a good 15 mins to get the demented creature back up again.

It all went pear shaped trying to get the thing into a landing net with the jig getting stuck in the mesh.....bye bye eel.

A good work out for the ultralight though and please....no one tell ME that you cant land big fish on such a rod lol.

G

·
Well done Richy, nice to see something really big coming to the ultralight.I bet youe eyes popped when you saw it.

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Change of undies. That for sure would of been a light line World record and probably never to be broken. Yes you can land big fish on light line/gear. Landed mirror Carp to 15 1/2lb on 12oz bottom in my old days of Match fishing on the pole. I find the slower the fish on contact increases the chance of landing it and it gives the light line time to adjust to the pressure, instead of that short sharp snatching take.

But well done on getting out and nearly landing the fish ,you'll never know next time..

Reactions: R10R

·
Registered
590 Posts
That must have been some sight when it broke surface Richie!!!
Well done on getting it to the edge of the net!!!
Thats a memory to keep.

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest it didn't really fight as if it would being bullied in....it was more of a confused dead weight with some headshakes.
Probably didn't know what was happening and couldn't feel the hook......your right though a memory forever and glad my mates were there to witness it or they would never believe me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
and i so nearly went to the docks last night aswell, watching that would have been better than the voice thats for sure.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like there's a new resident big eel in the docks. What was the old one called, Percy was it?

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah percy lol....there have been a few big eels showing in the dock lately....Kyle pulled one out 19lb last month on an uptider....Matt hooked a huge one (30lb ish) last week,again on an ultralight with 3lb line and tiny jighead......got it to the top and the line snapped.
There has been a decline in Pollack catches lately and kyles eel coughed up a 10-12oz Pollack so we are thinking that they are feeding on them.

Intersting target for the ultralights though....just a matter of time before one of us lands one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not sure I'd target them on the ultralight, but then you seem to know that patch of water like the back of your hand!
Think it'd still be a good scrap on 20-40g spinning rod and 10lb braid, but i'd be happy to get anything out of that dock!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts