World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all, after nearly nine months of planning and preparation the festival finally took place last weekend. It was great to finally meet up with so many forum members both new and old. When I first had the idea it was going to be a meet, but the festival just seemed to be born from the original concept.

It was going to be a good weekend from the start due to the number of different lure anglers that entered. All with different techniques and styles. Many at different levels of skills and knowledge, attitudes were full of excitement and anticipation.

It was a local to weigh-in first, Bob Goodwin with a fish of 1.505kg, Bob fishes the local marks and within the last six years has had bass to 6lb.
Second to weigh-in was Adrian Rogers aka Joe Sepi with a fine fish of 2.040kg. It was great to meet you Adrian. Third to weigh-in was Peter Blackaby aka Pete the blanker, with a nice fish of 1.620kg. Pete is a fairly regular visitor to our area and always impresses me with his non stop attitude and drive to catch fish, one day he will be rewarded with a nice specimen. The forth bass to weighed in was from Mick Ward aka MrFish, a 1.365kg. Mick spends most of his plugging time on his boat and im sure he wont mind me saying he was proberly aching pretty badly after this weekend. Well done bud!

So that was four fish weighed in on the Saturday, and with the minimum weigh set to 3lb there were plenty released as well.

The Sunday weigh-in started with a 2.200kg bass from David Irvine, aka Tunny. Dave has been out with me before and is a pleasure to fish with. The next fish on sunday to be weighed was the overall heaviest of the weekend from Nathan Taylor aka Stormryder, a 2.410kg fish. Well done nath!

The third fish to be weighed was from Graham Hill aka Graham Hill with a bass of 1.675kg, graham was adrians pair partner so at this stage they were winning the Pairs Entry with a combined weight of 3.715kg, well done guys. The final fish to be weighed in on the sunday, which takes the total weighed amount to eight was from Vidar Thomassen aka Vidar, his bass weighed in at 1.530kg. It was the first time myself and many of the other forum members had met Vidar. It was great to meet you Vidar and your depth of knowledge was very impressive.

At the end of the weekend long festival there has been a total weight of 14.345kg ( Just over 31lbs) weighed in and Im sure there was nearly that also lost through exercise and malnutrition...lol

The prize presentation was held at a local social club, the festival also provided the entrants with a buffet after the winners were given their prizes, first there was Steve Payne and Peter Blackaby, who were 3rd place in the pairs entry, they both will receive their prizes when they are next in Weymouth as they had to leave early for work commitments. 2nd place went to Nathan and Robert Taylor, they both received a Cup, a Savagear Bushwacker and a Okuma Hexana reel each. First place was Adrian Rogers and Graham Hill, they both received a Cup, a Savagear Boner and a Okuma VS-30 reel.

In the heaviest fish prizes was 3rd place Adrian Rogers, Adrian recieved a Cup, a Savagear Jig n Spin and a Okuma Hexana reel and also the third place pools cash prize. 2nd went to Dave Irvine, Dave recieved a Custom Made Alba Rods Spinning rod, cup and also the second place pools cash prize. First went to Nathan Taylor, and Nathan recieved a Tenryu Red Rod, cup and also the first place pools cash prize.

The best visiting angler prize went to Nathan Taylor, this prize was a signed copy of a lure angling book, presented to Nathan by the author Mike Ladle.

A contribution award of another of Mike's signed books was presented to Mick Ward, by Mike Ladle again, in recognition of Mick's overall input and drive for all the Lure Anglers in the Uk.

The raffle then took place with again a great selection of prizes on offer, it contained three signed pictures of Bass, Caps, T-shirts, Various reels and lures.

After the raffle there was a presentation and talk by Mike Ladle, which was both interesting and appreciated, thanks again Mike.

I would like to personally thank the prize donators for this years festival, Henry Gilbey of www.henry-gilbey.com
Mick ward of www.mrfishjersey.net Stan at www.alba-rods.co.uk Brian at www.reelsanddeals.com Magnus at www.svendsen-sports.co.uk Mike Ladle at www.mikeladle.com

Thank you for all your generous support.

The planning for the next Weymouth Lure Bass Festival has already begun, and we are going to be back!

Thanks guys for all your support and I look forward to seeing you again soon.....................Mike

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mike, blinding job for the first event and I am sure this will surely grow and grow in reputation and prestige. I had a great time with my lad and will be back again next year for sure (book me in now!) and will hopefully manage to avoid being at the wrong mark, at the wrong time with the wrong lures - unlike this year! I had the pleasure of fishing with some top chaps (cheers, guys) and seeing the second placed fish played and landed. You have a blinding patch to fish and I hope to be back again before the next festival - see you soon! :clap3::clap2::clap:

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Well done Mike, excellent stuff, really enjoyed the weekend. Your lucky to live in such a great Bass area, when you have the paper work ready send the entry form for next year, I'll be back before then though.

Cheers Mate

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
A very big well done Mike...:clap2: I will do my very best to make it next year...Hmm i'd better start putting some hours in...:laugh:

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
Well all, after nearly nine months of planning and preparation the festival finally took place last weekend. It was great to finally meet up with so many forum members both new and old. When I first had the idea it was going to be a meet, but the festival just seemed to be born from the original concept.

It was going to be a good weekend from the start due to the number of different lure anglers that entered. All with different techniques and styles. Many at different levels of skills and knowledge, attitudes were full of excitement and anticipation.

It was a local to weigh-in first, Bob Goodwin with a fish of 1.505kg, Bob fishes the local marks and within the last six years has had bass to 6lb.
Second to weigh-in was Adrian Rogers aka Joe Sepi with a fine fish of 2.040kg. It was great to meet you Adrian. Third to weigh-in was Peter Blackaby aka Pete the blanker, with a nice fish of 1.620kg. Pete is a fairly regular visitor to our area and always impresses me with his non stop attitude and drive to catch fish, one day he will be rewarded with a nice specimen. The forth bass to weighed in was from Mick Ward aka MrFish, a 1.365kg. Mick spends most of his plugging time on his boat and im sure he wont mind me saying he was proberly aching pretty badly after this weekend. Well done bud!

So that was four fish weighed in on the Saturday, and with the minimum weigh set to 3lb there were plenty released as well.

The Sunday weigh-in started with a 2.200kg bass from David Irvine, aka Tunny. Dave has been out with me before and is a pleasure to fish with. The next fish on sunday to be weighed was the overall heaviest of the weekend from Nathan Taylor aka Stormryder, a 2.410kg fish. Well done nath!

The third fish to be weighed was from Graham Hill aka Graham Hill with a bass of 1.675kg, graham was adrians pair partner so at this stage they were winning the Pairs Entry with a combined weight of 3.715kg, well done guys. The final fish to be weighed in on the sunday, which takes the total weighed amount to eight was from Vidar Thomassen aka Vidar, his bass weighed in at 1.530kg. It was the first time myself and many of the other forum members had met Vidar. It was great to meet you Vidar and your depth of knowledge was very impressive.

At the end of the weekend long festival there has been a total weight of 14.345kg ( Just over 31lbs) weighed in and Im sure there was nearly that also lost through exercise and malnutrition...lol

The prize presentation was held at a local social club, the festival also provided the entrants with a buffet after the winners were given their prizes, first there was Steve Payne and Peter Blackaby, who were 3rd place in the pairs entry, they both will receive their prizes when they are next in Weymouth as they had to leave early for work commitments. 2nd place went to Nathan and Robert Taylor, they both received a Cup, a Savagear Bushwacker and a Okuma Hexana reel each. First place was Adrian Rogers and Graham Hill, they both received a Cup, a Savagear Boner and a Okuma VS-30 reel.

In the heaviest fish prizes was 3rd place Adrian Rogers, Adrian recieved a Cup, a Savagear Jig n Spin and a Okuma Hexana reel and also the third place pools cash prize. 2nd went to Dave Irvine, Dave recieved a Custom Made Alba Rods Spinning rod, cup and also the second place pools cash prize. First went to Nathan Taylor, and Nathan recieved a Tenryu Red Rod, cup and also the first place pools cash prize.

The best visiting angler prize went to Nathan Taylor, this prize was a signed copy of a lure angling book, presented to Nathan by the author Mike Ladle.

A contribution award of another of Mike's signed books was presented to Mick Ward, by Mike Ladle again, in recognition of Mick's overall input and drive for all the Lure Anglers in the Uk.

The raffle then took place with again a great selection of prizes on offer, it contained three signed pictures of Bass, Caps, T-shirts, Various reels and lures.

After the raffle there was a presentation and talk by Mike Ladle, which was both interesting and appreciated, thanks again Mike.

I would like to personally thank the prize donators for this years festival, Henry Gilbey of www.henry-gilbey.com
Mick ward of www.mrfishjersey.net Stan at www.alba-rods.co.uk Brian at www.reelsanddeals.com Magnus at www.svendsen-sports.co.uk Mike Ladle at www.mikeladle.com

Thank you for all your generous support.

The planning for the next Weymouth Lure Bass Festival has already begun, and we are going to be back!

Thanks guys for all your support and I look forward to seeing you again soon.....................Mike
well done mike , and thanks to you ,for or your efforts to mate , would not have happened without you :victory::kissing: o and see you soon , to whoop your but again and again :laugh::crazy: it was very professional mate well done you :victory:

·
Registered
640 Posts
it was very professional mate well done you :victory:
Spot on mate :thumbs::thumbs:

Do you know what, I'd do it again next weekend. Big round of applause from me. Great job.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Mike we all owe you a great debt. Seriously. A great weekend's fishing very well organised. Mick has said it all but here's a few Saintly words.

The boat travel went smoothly despite the rough weather and Mick's concerns. I can recommend the Condor Clipper for a stress free journey.

We owe Brian a big thank you for his welcome and hospitality and HoundDog a big favour for his advice which was absolutely spot on, literally. Amongst many other new non-forum friends made, Malcolm was a hoot and Tim went out of his way to show us around Peace & Plenty which is a great boat. I fancy next time I'll come over early for some of your great charter boat fishing too before the comp, although Mick wasn't so keen when he saw the Race on Friday.

Yes we did get tired maybe because we had a fair go at night to see the parts we didn't reach in daylight. When we'd had enough on Sunday we even treated ourselves to that ice cream Mark had so kindly suggested (see below).

We'll be back. We also hope to see as many of you as possible in Jersey for the bass comp next month.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well done Mike, it sounds like you have made a lot of people happy and a few days they will never forget for the rest of their lives through your hard work.:victory:
I for one will be joining you all next year

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well done Mike, it sounds like you have made a lot of people happy and a few days they will never forget for the rest of their lives through your hard work.:victory:
I for one will be joining you all next year
Well done, hope to make it down from Scotland next year. Glad it went well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Plugs,
It was a great weekend, and competition. Really well run, by your good self and Brian. I saw alot of fish caught (mainly by Capt Sugwash and Mosseydog, never had a zonk on me when i needed one). Portland was simply stunning, fabulous marks, clear water and plenty of bass, plus the odd maccy,gar and pollack.
As others have said, I will definately be back next year, although I doubt I will wait that long before a return visit.

·
Registered
961 Posts
PS What a great way to finish the prize giving evening - a talk by Mike Ladle on how to catch bigger fish. I'd have come over just for that. Great coup by Mike the organiser.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very well done Plugs, can't wait till next year, and yes we did get some fish after telling you we did not have a chance.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
For its first year I think it was a great success, very well organised and as all have said already a very big thank you is deserved to you Mike and also to Brian at Reels & deals for the hospitality and advice. I know we will be back next year, and I am sure there will be a few more from Jersey coming next year, possibly Guernsey & Alderney too. Good luck to the comp and of course Mr Fish Ltd will be willing to support it with prizes again next year. Oh, and that ice cream at Portland Bill was just what was needed after climbing up that cliff.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well done to both the guys for arranging such a great event. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and it was fantastic to meet so many anglers, including Mike Ladle to my huge surprise, that similar to myself fishes for almost anything that swims in fresh or salt water.

I will definitely be back next year :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
was a great laugh & well planned imo - will be a must do next year :)

ta Mike

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
was a great laugh & well planned imo - will be a must do next year :)

ta Mike
Demolish any hire cars this time Tom :whistling :marinheir :shutup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts