World Sea Fishing Forums banner

The world is my oyster

Shore 
2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  inishowenrocker 
#1 · (Edited)
What about ye"s:)

So Thursday there i went an picked up our Darren about 3pm and the heat in Belfast was mental:eeks: could not wait to hit the road and get a bit of cooler air about us.
We had these snoothie sharks on our minds but i was worried the rain and the fresh water washing down the Foyle might have driven them off:wink:

So we gets down to the Strands and my blood drained,, i have never seen such an amount of touriods packed in like sardines along Strands. bloody hell both me and our Darren agreed:run:holy heck i felt sick just thinking of that amount of human bodies all breathing each others farts an such,,, Quickly!!! i says to our Darren to Checkers:cool2: us being from Belfast an being chippy eaters we felt more at home eating burgers and chips an battered sausages than in amongst the throng of happy happy beach goers:confused2:

Well we came to fish, an damnit! fish we will, we where feeling brave after our chippy and just headed for the nearest beach, got a parking spot that was not close to the masses and set our stall out, oh aye its good be to home again fishng with bait after the non stop spinning me and the Jonny fella have been doing this past three years.

I release the Apollo:inlove: and my 13ft Conoflex Beach Flyer, oh how i have missed ye rods:cool: our Darren unsheaths a Mk1 Kompressor and an President 11ft bass rod, old school rods for two old schooled anglers, we bolt the sloshes and 7000s onto the MAN rods:whistling: an 5500cts to the Bass rods, we have near 30quids of biting fresh Rag some Lug and last years ( that i caught) Mackerel, oh happy days:cautious:

Now in amongst the hundreds of people we have rocks to our right and a small burn to our left, an island of fishing glory in the vast swave of touriods, we are left near enough alone the whole time we fished which was from about 6pm to near 3am.

Out go Mackerel baits beyond the surf and in tight we set the Rag on flappers.
I dont know anything about Smoothie fishing, but with daylight i expected no small Sharks but putting the Mackerel out into the tide and changing it often we had hopes of maybe attracting those wee Sharks in after dark ? as i always say:sleep:
A plan
any plan
is better than no plan;)

We fish and we change baits we drink tea, we wait for dusk and high tide:whistling:
During this time we are accousted by only two groups of Touriods and one very fine gentleman who spent a brave few hours wading/spinning :cool2: now this gentleman in question turns out to be a Fisheries Protection Officer:cool2: we chatted for maybe 40 to 60 mins and i enjoyed hearing his tales and admiring the effort and work that those guys do, i mentioned i might write a report on a fishing forum and would it be alright to mention i was talking to an Officer " oh by all means he replied, an dont forget to mention that i was a fine looking gentleman and rather eloquent to boot:rofl: ( he honestly said that as he walked off flicking his rather sparse hair like a super model) hahahahah. Like i say well done to guys who are out at 3am in a boat lifting illegal nets:cool2:

So anyroad bout 9 oclock our Darren gets a wee flounder the size of his hands, which was not bad considering our Darren is 6ft 3 or somfink:wink:
High tide come and high tide go and no smoothies, we had by this time switched the heavier tackle to rag instead of Mackerel, Nowt nadda nofink!! ah well thats fishing guys an girls, but being as thick as two short planks which if you do the sums makes us about as thick as two short planks and long one?:rolleyes: we fish on.

Tides about two hours down an i dander up to our Darren and say, " think we are on a beaten docket Darren" no sooner had i said that i notice our Darrens Kompressor give a bounce and then we hear a short ratchet pull, Darrens onto the rod and waits for a second or two , i start to give advice but walk away to let our Darren make the decision on when an if to strike.

I"m in! states Darren and we both know what it is, an sure enough in thrashes a wee school Bass, we go full re--tard, start our chant and dance, now i know some might laugh at me an Darren getting on like we have won the grandnational, but in our eyes after the long hours fishless this is a wee blessing and we enjoy the moment.
After a few minutes with Darren holding the schoolie in the surf it kicks a few times and Darren releases the wee tiddler, off it skulks out beyond the breakers:cool2:

Right Darren i say get another bait out and dander up to me and tell me we are on a beaten docket and maybe i will catch one:roflpuke: no such thing, i dander up to my rods check the lines and would ye believe it!!! glorious magical, unbelievable slack line:rofl: i says nothing and reel the Bass in which i may add was bigger than our Darrens:happy:,, oh such relief on two small fish but like i say we had stood hours fishless an after my schoolie is released fit and fine we once again do the Ballymoney Red Indian dance taught to us by our Sham the one and only Jonny,

(Indian chant, an acompanied by trotting on the spot in time to the chant)

" Go"wan ye boy ye
on ye boy ye
go" wan ye boy ye
on ye boy ye":happy:

We fished on until bout ? 3ish them decided we had had enough, whch was well timed, as we got to the motor it started raining not heavy but wet all the same.

Wheres Lou, LOU, LOU oh there ye are:thumbsup:, the weed was still around but ye have to fish it a certain way and like is say, we are not ones for going home without at least hurting oursleves :ugh2:

Not a great catch report as such, but a Bass is a Bass and unlike smooth Hounds we at least know how to fish for Bass, go cast an await:sick:
Mighty Day out with my Nephwe our Darren always good steam out with Darren:roflpuke: we have fished together for years an know the score.

Tight lines lads/ladies:inlove:

Fed...

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
Rocker mate,
it never crossed my mind to meet up:( or i would of said to ye.
Next time i am up that way i will give you a shout.:cool2:

Aye our Darren was saying about the big toothy critters being caught along the shore, or at least one being caught from the shore:smile2:
Take it the boats are getting them in numbers ?

Mark...

#6 ·
Hiya Mark,
A chippy tea, touroids avoided (mostly) & a couple of Bass for your efforts- not too shabby considering mate.
It's slow this side of the water too- hot sunny days & a clear sea look good on pics & postcards but as you know yourself, ain't that good for bottom/bait fishing.
Just need a good blow to stir things up a bit now (looking like that's what we've got forecast for the next couple of days so Tues or Weds could be good over this side).
Tight lines.
Rick;)

#16 ·
Nice one lads, great to see.

Good to see Fed back on the bait.............thought he looked a bit skinny :rofl:
Thanks Dave:BigGrin:

Aye 5ft11 ? an i am sure near 14stone skinny:eeks:
but i wear the weight well for an old fella:cry:

Dave ? you where there before me, ye ever remember smoothies off the Strands ? not just the odd one but the numbers we seen this year:cool2:

Anyroad hows thon heavy right foot of yours, still getting some off road action:thumbsup:

Fed...:roflpuke:

#12 ·
Gd wee report lad aye that be hounds gone now for sure u only realy get A two-three week window at them unfortunately I tried last week had sod all.me and a group of lads r heading up on the 5th I’m going try catch my first schoolie fingers crossed keeper lit

lou
Fullmoon on the 5th Lou:)
i"ll be out fishing a day or two before that.:sneaky:
Take plenty of worms with ye and dont be ascared to stick 4/5 on at a time;)

Now im an old hand and thought that the smoothies were like a one off this year ? ive fished the Strands a brave bit an never really heard of them being cuaght.. the odd one from time to time but knew more about them visiting Ballycastle rather than the Strands.

But like i say, ye never know it all and the more ye learn the more ye realise you know nothing ( speaking for myself here hahah).

Good luck on the 5th and just keep the faith, im sure you will get a wee schoolie, or a big schoolie Lou:BigGrin:

Mark...:rolleyes:

Reactions: kingloudog
#13 ·
hope the bass made the trip worthwhile.
Hiya Martin:)

The trip itself was worth the trip.. eh!!!:whistling:
Few fish near the end of the night made us smile and the effort we put in ( drinking all that tea:happy:) sorta paid off.

So yes like yourself just getting out is enough sometimes and fishing bait instead of non stop spinner chucking was a welcome relief.:cool2:

Mark...

Reactions: mgc
#15 ·
Hiya Mark,
A chippy tea, touroids avoided (mostly) & a couple of Bass for your efforts- not too shabby considering mate.
It's slow this side of the water too- hot sunny days & a clear sea look good on pics & postcards but as you know yourself, ain't that good for bottom/bait fishing.
Just need a good blow to stir things up a bit now (looking like that's what we've got forecast for the next couple of days so Tues or Weds could be good over this side).
Tight lines.
Rick;)
Bout ye our Rick:)

Aye we got left alone, a chippy an a wee Bass each, sure thats three out of three:whistling: not very often we achieve our pre-set goals:X3:

Been wet and windy this past few days over here Rick and a good stir up will only help things.
You an the lads still on the pier Rick ? with some of the fish yous have caught i cant see a reason to go anywhere else like:cool2:

Keep er lit Rick...:BigGrin:

Mark...;)

#17 ·
Hiya Mark,
The pier was opened back up for fishing a couple of weeks back.
With the East winds & clear sea it's been steady/slow but still managing to avoid the blank so can't grumble too much.
As regards fishing anywhere else other than the pier, i'm inclined to agree after mine & the missus's sorte up the coast to Whitehaven the other day- i'm afraid you'll have to read my report mate for the days events as retelling it'll only depress me again :(:(:mad::mad:.
Tight lines.
Rick;)

#19 ·
Ahh Rick, bad day at the office:frown:
i"ll nip over an have a read, hope it was just lack of fish Rick:frown:

Aye that old pier of yours, wish we had just one like it, but no we only have miles of Down, Antrim and North coasts untouched haha;)

Still keep the chin up Rick and tally ho!

Mark...

#18 ·
Hi Mark, great report and a couple of wee bass between yous is hard to beat. Ohh yes chequers are one of the best chippys as far as chippys are concerned, definitely not a biased view even though my mums cousin owns the lot of them :D
An hows Dane:cool2:

Lot of effort for two fish Dane, but like all fishing, it was well worth it,
i just love to fish an am old enough to take it in my stride nowadays:notworthy:

Aye Checkers is a proper Chippy, i know a couple that would rival it in Belfast like, but checkers also has it on price, not cheap but by no means over the top for the fried food you recieve.

Although have a word about the burgers Dane, lasttime down i remember proper paddys, not what i got the other day:whistling:
but all in all a proper chippy, worst chippy in the world ? Armoy hahah nothing wrong with the presentation or hygiene, no no no but after ye eat an Armoy chippy ye feel like fek all squared:sick::sick::sick:

The future awaits ye Dane:wink:

Mark...:unsure:

#21 ·
Im good Mark, hows yourself? Well alot of effort for 2 fish is better than alot of effort for no fish, but as you say, any time spemt fishing is worth it.

Note to self, steer clear of Armoy haha

Re the smoothies at the strand, my mates Dad has been fishing the area for the last 40 odd years, I remember last year he told me about a smoothie run on the strand that happened a few years back. According to him it was due to a huge crab molt in lough foyle, not sure if thats just a theory or whatever. He said you get the odd few every year but it takes something extra ordinary for an amount of the scale of the run that just passed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.