World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got back into the old beach fishing after an absence of 25 years +. I have ABU gear that's held up well due to proper care and storage. I normally use Atlantic 484CS + ABU (none of yer Garcia pollution) Ambassadeur 6500C or Atlantic 434 + Ambassadeur 6000. I can case 110-120 metres. No problem. These rods are 11.5 feet for those who don't know.

A trip to the tackle dealer lately and I am shocked. These modern beachcasters are mostly 15 and 16 feet long - "continental influence" they say. And pricey too.

Anyways, the reviews say these big rods will help me cast a lot further. I don;t quite get this as surely technique is a critical factor, other things equal. Is it true I can expect to be able to cast a lot further further with say a 16 foot Shakespeare K2 without having to adjust my technique too much? Or is it all marketing?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The fish still live the same distance from shore as they have always done, if you used to catch then you will now.
I have a 484 and it is a great rod to fish with, I got it secondhand in 1978, I was advised then to put a 4oz weight in the butt to balance it if you were going to hold the rod for any lehgth of time.... I notice that this trick is now back in fashion as a 'new idea'
The 484 was capable of far greater distance than 110/120 metres;

modern rods do not have the bite detection of the old Abu rod.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
I see and get to play with tens of dozens of beach rods every year. Of the modern ones the majority are good, some are very good a few are excellent and some are poor.

I also get to play with a lot of the older ones ( 20 years plus old) and in comparison to even the "poor" modern ones the vast majority (but not all) of the older ones are cumbersome heavy, poor actioned and not worth the bother.

But, having said that, one of the old ones does stick out like a sore thumb and that is the Atlantic 484 (and 464). That is a rod that stands the test of time.

The 484 is well worth using and, as has been said, chucks a lead a lot further than a hundred yards or so. Also good actioned and bite detection. Certainly it was a bit heavy with the alloy butt section. I`m not up on tournament casting but I seem to remember 484`s being used to hit distances in the 200 bracket, may be wrong.

If cut down it also makes one of the best tope or up-tiding rods around.:)

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
i've got a 484 , and to be totaly honest they are a good rod , but compared to the modern rods incredibly heavy and the butt is way too thick for my little hands,
modern rods are a pleasure to use and dont rust up like the old uns,
go into your tackle shop and pick a few up , you will see what i mean :)
cuberd

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The ABU 484 was a great rod for that time. There are plenty around today - but I doubt if they will be in such good nick.
Seem to remember it was Nigel Forrest (Breakaway Tackle Co.) that was using the Abu rods to set some casting records for that era. Was it Peter Bagnell Before Nigel?
Certainly those rods were capable of 200yds then.
Good tip but heavy by todays standards.

Don't forget you are 25 years older. I bought a Greys Tripplex 14' when my joints got sore - it really has helped. Slower casting action but well balanced and a good tip for bite detection.

Treat yourself - you know you want to.:fishing1:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Quote from Peter Bagnall,
http://www.peterbagnall.co.uk/Home page and About Me_page_2.htm
"I also designed fishing rods for the international company of ABU including their most successful ever beachcasting rod named the Atlantic 484. My longest cast with that rod was on a demonstration in Barcelona when I cast 232 metres with a 4oz weight."
that would be good enough for me .
the weight issue is no problem if the rod is on a tripod, it would be if you hold it all the time.
25 years ago people did not fret all the time about the distance they could cast, they got on and caught fish; ie they went fishing not casting.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've owned and used the longest k2 but sold it in favour of my 13ft rods. They do allow a slower cast but I'm inclined to think that the ultra long overhead cast aspect of them is very overstated unless you are very powerfully built and get a very stiff one. The problem is leverage - the lead is further away from you so it's harder to move. Having said that though a moderately paced cast can store quite a lot of energy in the rod and this will yield reasonable distances. I found a gain with a straight overhead thump facing the direction of the cast but things weren't so clear cut standing sideways as I usually do. I generally use what some call a deep water cast. The left hand goes down and the right up starting with the rod at shoulder height or a bit lower. It's easier to get a long swing this way. This cast overpowers many beach casters especially from 10 or more years ago and felt like hard work with 6 mtr K2.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone - these contributions are very useful. I think I'm going to stick with the 484CS for a bit before committing to a more "modern" rod. Cheers.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
if you want to buy a new rod, and want to stick with abu, they still make some very nice rods still, and aren't priced stupid !

suveran, conolon range, plently of them ! have two myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you want to buy a new rod, and want to stick with abu, they still make some very nice rods still, and aren't priced stupid !

I gave up fishing quite a few years ago only to start up again. I own a k2 16ft 8in only to find that it is completely unsuitable to a chap of my build Im getting better results from a shakespear mustang and it was cheaper.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A trip to the tackle dealer lately and I am shocked. These modern beachcasters are mostly 15 and 16 feet long - "continental influence" they say. And pricey too.

QUOTE]

Your local tackle dealer must be poorly stocked as because I'd have thought that, although they are becoming popular, 15' and 16' rods are still in the minority.

I'm of medium build and getting on in age just a little but I find a 13' rod easily manageable. Using a simple 'Brighton' style cast I can acheive roughly the same distances as you. With this and other off-the-ground casting styles I think 11' 6" would be a bit short.

However, if you're getting those distances with the old ABU and whatever style you're using then you're probably wise to stick with it at least for the time being. But not all modern rods are expensive - there are some excellent performers these days in the mid-price range. If you try one out sometime you might be surprised and change your mind about a new rod. There is a growing tendency these days to favour fishing rods that will cast well as opposed to out-and-out tournament rods.

And remember, the 484 was quite a pricey rod in it's day.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

... I have a nice little collection of "original" ABU Atlantic line - 484, 484C, 484CS, 464, 434, 463, 443, 443S, 403, 403S though built up from childhood and ebay - it's my own prejudice, but once the ABU "Garcia" thing started that was it for that manufacturer! The rods have lasted the years as they were well cared for, oiled, varnished, always washed out with fresh water after use etc.

However, I'm still trying to track down that double tapered orange coloured beachcaster from 1977-78 (not ABU), as well as being willing to try "new" things ...

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And remember, the 484 was quite a pricey rod in it's day.

Cheers,

John
Yep - I had to be working for quite a few years before I got around to "back-buying" off eBay the rods I'd always wanted as a teenager! At least I can pass them on to my son. Man, I did spend hours over those old catalogues, though....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a Fox Impressa 13ft Fixed Spool Beachcaster, I only paid £50 for it brand new in a Fox sale where all products were half price. I've only used it the one time but I found it cast really well and is light enough for me to hold all day.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I can relate my own experiance, I am 52 years old and have been sea fishing from the age of 8, through the years I have used lots of rods for shore fishing, up until last year was happy with a 12 foot traverse x by silstar and a blank I made myself. I then got my mits on a fishanywhere 13.4" surf rod and found i nearly emptied a 6500 of 15lb line without that much effort, it is firm in the wind and does not blow around but had good bite detection, I would not go back to a 12 foot now. maybe its my build or casting style but it just suits me.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
... I have a nice little collection of "original" ABU Atlantic line - 484, 484C, 484CS, 464, 434, 463, 443, 443S, 403, 403S though built up from childhood and ebay - it's my own prejudice, but once the ABU "Garcia" thing started that was it for that manufacturer! The rods have lasted the years as they were well cared for, oiled, varnished, always washed out with fresh water after use etc.

However, I'm still trying to track down that double tapered orange coloured beachcaster from 1977-78 (not ABU), as well as being willing to try "new" things ...

Thanks for all the responses.
wasnt that a milbro rod? an orange colour blank that had green coloured handlebar grips on it

i can stillpicture it it also had chrome eyes with pink ceramic centres.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Ive still got a Sealey Surgcast which is circa 1971, its 11 1/2 foot reverse taper Orangy brown in colour, it has 3 short cork but grips and a chromed winch fitting
. and a brass ferule, Was fairly good in its day but far to floppy by todays standards , I laid it up in 75 when I bought the Atlantic 484

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ive still got a Sealey Surgcast which is circa 1971, its 11 1/2 foot reverse taper Orangy brown in colour, it has 3 short cork but grips and a chromed winch fitting
. and a brass ferule, Was fairly good in its day but far to floppy by todays standards , I laid it up in 75 when I bought the Atlantic 484
Now you're talking - a Sealy Surfcast! I had one of those and if I remember rightly they had chrome rings with pink ceramic linings and a pink day-glo tip. I thought that only the upper grip was cork but I might be wrong. I laid off fishing for a while and when I returned the Cod 5 was the thing to have. If I remember rightly the ABU Atlantic appeared sometime in between the Sealey and the Cod 5. I can remember initially not trusting the latter because the tip was so much finer than the old floppy poles.

It also puts me in mind of the Intrepid Seastreak and Surfcast multiplier and fixed spool reels. I aspired to one of the latter when I was around 13yrs old, when I had an 8' solid glass rod and medium-sized fixed spool reel as to me they were proper, man-sized reels. Of course, by the time I could afford one I went for something better.

I have no room for storing rods I don't use but I'd like to get hold of both these reels just for nostalgia's sake.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ive got quite a selection of old rods, some good some bad, most of which are still in very good condition, just got back into fishing properly last year and met an angler down the ranny who offered me a go on his century and shimano rods, both around the 13ft mark, and boy was I impressed, even with a gentle cast they went significantly further than my old rods and were rediculously light in comparison, which helps at my age.

Not so sure about the new trend of longer rods though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It also puts me in mind of the Intrepid Seastreak ...
Yep, the old seascreech - I remember those from my childhood too - so last year just had to snap one up off eBay.co.uk. Looks great sitting on my coffee table. To be honest, I've been afraid to use it in anger... but maybe one of these days I will...:)

Thanks for the these possible leads on the rod... I think it had black fittings, but I can't be sure... I'm use the info to try and chase it down...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts