World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not entirely true I suspect, but there weren't any last night fancy the hooks on my rods or Dai Wa's.

Fished 6-10 last night mainly on the float using rag, mackerel strips, squid, crab, and bread. First visit so a complete experiment. Nice easy fishing despite the ASBO gang with their small dicks burning the rubber of mam's car.

The only thing we caught all night were 6 mussels wrapped around some snagged tackle, which were quickly baited up and chucked in without any change in luck.

We had a lot of knocks on rag which were coming in with tails missing. Had one float disappear way under and take off to the left only to come in with the bait intact... what the hell was that all about?

We were using drops of between 7-12ft in breezy conditions with frequent outbursts of rain and using a mark in front of Morrisons. Any tips on what to do differently next time greatfully received.

Off to Newton today for something completely different. Wind looks challenging though.

G

·
The depth of water can be anything up to 25 to 30 feet. Try a little bit deeper next time! Apart from that you tried everything!

G

·
Many thanks mate, will do exactly that next time.
I remember one session down there, I was fishing at a depth of at least 20', I had the mother of all bites, float shot under like the Kirsk, I struck, felt something briefly on, and then, it was gone.

Do not be afraid to try deep, and, when it gets dark, a little bit further out and as shallow as you want, even to just a couple of feet under the surface!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Perhaps a silly question, but if you are float fishing that deep, wouldn't it be the same as ledgering off the bottom?
Or is it just particularly nice to float fish down there?
:unsure:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Perhaps a silly question, but if you are float fishing that deep, wouldn't it be the same as ledgering off the bottom?
in places like the docks, why would anyone not choose light tackle when this option is available? well i know what i'd rather do at barry: take the kids to the fair. i always blank at the docks!! :bye2:

G

·
Not really, some parts of the dock are over 30 feet deep, I normally start off at about 15' and adjust as time goes on. I have seen mullet caught at about 3(ish) feet off the bottom, I have also seen them just under the surface!

You can ledger with light weights as there is very little current there. It is also a joy to use light gear instead of beachcasters! It all depends what you want to do there?

For example the type of gear that I have seen used there:

Fly fishing
very light coarse outfits with about 4lb line
all the way up to normal beachcasting gear
light spinning all the way up to heavy(ish) spinning

take your pick really!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts