World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem finding a hand line that does not go into a birds nest in the bottom of my boat when we are hand lining.
I think I need a line similar to the one as a kid that sprung straight off the fixed spool reel as soon as I let go of the end of it! I don't want it too thin so as not to cut my fingers off & I have the responsibility of whoever is fishing with me and doing a bit of hand lining with me.

The line that sprung off the reel was not a very big breaking strain either but where is that sold these days?
The newer lines always seem to aim at limpness don't they?
The dacron line was useless due to it not being waterproof and the 1mm thick mono was a swine because of the permanent coils it readily tangled at the drop of a hat.......

I knew that most boat anglers who catch fish to eat must surely know that the hand line is the quickest method of getting fish in the boat so as to present the lures to the fish waiting below the boat so long as the hand line does not tangle!
An old sea angler who mostly catches crab and lobster does not even put a rod in the boat when he is fishing at sea for bait......
The rod seems so unwieldy and time consuming as opposed to the quicker hand line re mass production!
Advice please on what hand line do you use that does not tangle?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have used hand lines pretty much throughout my life. From the orange twisted polyethylene to a simple spool of mono. From the harbour for dabs as a child to livebaiting for barracuda in Africa. If you are fishing deep water and aren’t worried about using any finesse. Go for a twisted or braided polyethylene if you want at least some finesse to be involved, go for a nylon or mono - I’ve often found the cheaper stuff to be stiffer and less prone to wind knots in the boat. But they are inevitable. I’ve had 30-40lb barracuda and dorado on 40lb mono spool handline.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Don't think i've seen a handline used from a UK boat for 40 years!
As with most methods there will be a knack in it how you lay the line down with minimum tangling.
Best method is to wind it on a reel !
Seen a fair few Hobo beer can type outfits used in the freshwater and off piers but you generally have much less line to tangle out then.

Chuckling about the thought of 8 or 10 charter anglers handlines with 2 or 3 hook rigs chucked on the deck !

"While you are at it can you knit me a gill net ?" used to be a favourite remark directed at rod and reel boat tanglers !:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts