World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Do you remeber back in the 80's/90's those one piece thermal suits which were normally Navy and had a hood. They were not waterproof but had a fluffy inside and you wore them underneith your waterproofs - often over your normal clothes. We used to call them Teddy bear suits but I'm sure that wasn't the real name. Are they still avaiable or has the thin Thermal underies taken over?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I used to have one of them made by Leeda, wore it till it went threadbare. I havn't seen any for sale in the tackle shops for ages, but that doesn't mean you can't still get one. It's all base layers now like the Sundridge Sleepskin, Preston and TF Gear and worn next to your skin. Much less bulky and much warmer in my opinion. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I chucked a couple away in a clear out last summer. As far as I know,they don't make them anymore as the technology has advanced so much there isn't a need for anything quite as bulky to achieve the same effect or better. Some of the stuff made for the winter carp angling market is brilliant and miles better than any teddy suit would ever be.

Raider

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
i wore a 1 peice for years then upgraded to a ....... 2 peice.

great bits of kit but as already said, the stuff you can get now is far superior.

in those old suits if you had no top layer on them, the wind went straight through.

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
i used to have one of those babygros , as said , mine went threadbare after keeping me warm for many years , looked awful on its own though lol , now its thermal longsleeve from outdoor shops and sexy longjohns , thin layers

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Yes I remember them, my son had one, think it work if it was not too cold?
Weren't they about at the same time as those Blue fleecy jackets every one wore?

We now have Merino wool and Polartec and Polyester etc to replace that stuff...thankfully

lighty

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've still got one of those khaki coloured ones, made by Leeda. Really nice and warm under a windproof top. They were thicker fleece than the blue ones. I have put on a bit of weight and so can't zip the top half up :)

Den

·
Registered
8,419 Posts
I've still got one of those khaki coloured ones, made by Leeda. Really nice and warm under a windproof top. They were thicker fleece than the blue ones. I have put on a bit of weight and so can't zip the top half up :) Den
I still have one too (I know a good few anglers that still wear them) ... years old and seems to have shrunk lately round the waist. Top peice of kit on the cold nights with just a light set of waterproofs on over the top. You simply wear normal clothes underneath and with some thermal boots you are set up for all night - simply take two layers off and you are "back to normal" for pub or journey in the car. You can still buy the odd cheap make if you look around and expensive versions made from more up to date materials are easy to get as they are made for use under divers drysuits. .... you just need to get the right size to fit over the top of clothes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I still have my very venerable blue fluffy Helly Hansen bib & brace and jumper; I haven't worn the bib & brace for aeons but usually wear the jumper over a Tshirt and contemporary HH thermals which are very fine and highly effective; as for trousers I usually wear Craghopper water resistant lined trousers; that lot with a fleece, silly hat, Muck boots, gloves and where necessary wind and waterproof outerwear has kept me warm this Winter..... roll on Tshirt and shorts weather ......

Peter

·
Registered
455 Posts
Dive shops still sell bear suits, you'll pay about forty quid, possibly less. They're still useful because the insulating layer doesn't crush so much under pressure, giving a bigger (warmer) air gap between you and the elements, which the modern skin layers can't do.

·
Registered
PB BASS 75CM
8,048 Posts
in the 80's i brought a tank suite from the army/navy suplus store very warm and wore yellow oil skins to keep me dry
sat out on the rocks in all weather's for £20
now its a £100 floatation £100 igloo £90 northstar must be going soft

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Yep, I had ane of those all in ones...Sundridge Polar i think it was called. Had it for over 10 years then it shrunk (dum de dum).

I now have one of these.... absolutely superb, you will never be cold again! (It's what I wear in Norway, we had -22 this year) All you need on top is a waterproof layer.

Typhoon XCU 200g Undersuit
Are those typhoon suits very heavy Si

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.