World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the following two fixed spool reels, which are better?

Penn Surfmaster 850

Or

Daiwa Emcast 5500

Im looking for a new one, and they both retail at around £50 ish. Just wanted a few oppinions thats all, thanks Josh :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Id go with the Daiwa personally mate because i love there gear and i think there has been some questions over build quality with the penn

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I agree, I have the Penn 750 which is the smaller sibling of the 850 and its a great reel. In fact considering the Penn 70 had a cult status stretching several decades, which these reels have replaced, they had to be not just as good but better ! They are big time, wide spool, lovely action and line lay, quality and aftercare that other companys strive to achieve.

Had the Diawas for years but with the new range from Penn on introductory offer of £50 its no contest in my book with choice.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Got the Penn 850 and my mate has the 6500 Emcast, if the 5500 is anything like the 6500 I would go for that, the Penn is a good reel but the Daiwa of my mates feels that little better.

Also I have the Shimano Aerlex's and they are ever so good

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Penn surfmaster is excellent (I have older model), Daiwa Emcast is also a top quality reel, but the difference lies in the customer service, (penn excellent, daiwa cack, in my experience.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts