World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all thinking about buying a second hand pirate 21 has anyone got one of these boats and what are they like on the water and would it be to big to trailer and what would be right engine to have on it thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi, might be worth to introduce yourself :)

Quite expensive boat... at least to me :) Had a chance in the past to go out with friend couple of times on his Pirate 21 with 175 HP Suzuki on the back. He bought all new and it costs a small fortune. Amazing boat, very stable and she went good with the outboard that size. Plenty of space, amazing cabin. I wouldn't imagine launching the boat from the trailer though. You would need good twin axle trailer and should be fine - this is what my mate has, but he uses the trailer only when taking the boat of mooring once a year.

Reactions: danlloyd98

·
Registered
833 Posts
I own one. :thumbsup:It will be a lump to laumch from a trailer regularly to say the least, I have mine on a mooring. They are built like tanks and handle beautifully. You won’t regret buying one, but it is a fishing boat and creature comforts are limited if you want to overnight on it. You need around 150hp at least on a cabin version to get decent fuel economy...Give Pirate a ring if you want to know anything technical, they are in Pembrokeshire and very helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi all thanks for getting back do really want to trailer it dont want to go back on a mooring our harbour is a absolute mess in burry port unless they dredged it all out i wont bother i will pop down to pembroke to have a look at a 21 and its only down the road from us

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Very expensive boat for what they are & very small as 21 footers go.
Well laid up & perform well but if I was looking to spend that sort of money I would be looking at other options.
What tow vehicle do you have ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi headlight what other options would you go for do really want to trailer i know the pirate is a big lump to trail but that i fancy currently have a export 175 warrior drive a mitsi l200

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
hi headlight what other options would you go for do really want to trailer i know the pirate is a big lump to trail but that i fancy currently have a export 175 warrior drive a mitsi l200
I used to use an L200 myself, excellent tow vehicles, I think mine was rated to 2.8 tonnes towing limit ?
The Pirate 21 is actually nearly 22ft being 21ft 10".
Bare hull weighs 1350kgs, a good sized OB say 250kg, twin axle trailer 450-500kgs, so there is over 2,000kgs plus a couple of batteries, fuel, anchors & other gear you will soon be getting up near 2,500kgs.
That"s a lot of weight to tow & launch regularly.
TBH I would be looking at an 18 or 19ft boat if I was trailering.
Why do you want to change the 175, more protection from the elements maybe ?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I like at one but it was not to trailer.

As pointed out already, very heavy not easily moved of a trailer. Great in a mooring but you will need at least 150hp on the back so makes it harder to trail too.

I went for an Orkney Pilothouse 20, lighter but better use of space (to me at least) however you won’t get the speed!

You thought about sticking it in Swansea Marina?

·
Registered
769 Posts
As everyone else said, they're a bit heavy for a regular tow. Have only had my old girl for a year so I'm about to experience hauling her out and towing her home for service. Not looking forward to it!
If you are confident to tow and launch 2+ tonnes, then they are exactly as folks have said, heavily built, good sea manners but out and out fishing boats. Deck space is great, cabin only has one barely useable bunk and one that's impossible even to get into but acres of stowage. Not a boat designed with half an eye on family days out and bow access to the huge warp locker is old school, teetering along the gunwhales.
Brand new, there's a lot of very well equipped boats for that kind of money. Secondhand they're still pricey but when you take the hull strength into account, its less of an ouch. Older boats had blue hulls and tend to squat at the stern a bit even trimmed right in. I'm going to add trim tabs to help with that but for sure 150hp would be better than the 130hp I've got. Newer boats have white hulls and as well as a dashboard rethink, they've straightened the curve in the chine at the rear. Pirate reckon this gives more lift at the stern and reduces the need for trim tabs? The white boats also have self draining decks, much better if you do moor her.
Hope that's some help.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If ya want a out and out fishing boat you will have a job to better it no frills but awesome hull and built like a tank

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yes ...other boats have many more creature comforts than my Pirate, and probably are a bit cheaper, but the handling 0f the Pirate in any chop is just awesome and I regularly outrun much bigger gin palaces, but they have a cooker, beds and all sorts of nice stuff and are probably worried about things falling out of the fridge:rofl:. Mine’s a 110% fishing boat and the best hull by far that I have owned in 30+ years of small angling boating by a long shot :stirpot: ....you pays yer money and all that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply's , i have a export 175 it is okay on a flat day when there is a little chop . I am getting spray from the front of the boat when i am on the move in lumpy weather , and pitching when driving on choppy day and isn't stable on a drift. My friend has got a pirate - Baywatch 18 and rides the water much better.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Thanks for the reply's , i have a export 175 it is okay on a flat day when there is a little chop . I am getting spray from the front of the boat when i am on the move in lumpy weather , and pitching when driving on choppy day and isn't stable on a drift. My friend has got a pirate - Baywatch 18 and rides the water much better.
The 175 has a reputation as a very wet boat locally - consequently there aren’t many around. A mate had one...Very well built but not suited to our conditions. This Pirate 18 has just been put up for sale second hand by Pirate. It came up on my Facebook feed an hour ago...

CFCD7F35-7825-4048-ADC6-7292F501DAB7.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi tim have seen this boat for sale myself ive really got some thinking to do about buying a 21 or an 18 thanks for help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts