World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a thought with sea temperature much higher than usuall due to the mild / wet weather if we don't get much cold weather we could get the arrivalof summer species earlier i hope so

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Not sure mate, last year was ruined because of the freezing cold spring but as you point out, temperatures are high and I don't recall a prolonged spell of frost yet so like you, I am crossing my fingers that we could be in for an early start on the bass.

This is the optermistic perspective but I do fear that we could be in for a late, harsh winter again and if this happens it could effect the whole season again.

I know one or two did ok but reading others accounts of the year they talk about 50% decreases in bass catches last year in comparison to the previous 40 years, so this proves how a good or bad start can impact things.

If this mild winter lasts and we have a good spring then it figures that not only will the summer species come early but that the season as a whole will be better than the last one.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well keep blowing from the south or west and we will be ok .i really think this winter will remain mild
And that can only be positive there will be no wind direction change for next 2 weeks so we got a real chance only one problem the fluff checkers may be out early to that's why I will attack the Lleyn more this year got sick of setting up last year on marks that fluff checkers don't usually come to only to find fluff chucking holiday makers turn up and ruin my day

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I hope your right and things get going soon, yeah combat fishing hey it frightens me to death when they let the kids lose with feathers and a 4oz lead, daft thing is these marks where you can reach the mac will probably have decent bass underneath them, best to try at night or like you say get on the llyn where its less busy.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at data from various bouys. The water temp is 9 degrees
c. This time last year we was at 5 degrees c that's a huge difference and with the next two weeks showing gales from south west and more rain there is very little chance of water temperature dropping . Which meas we would need a long prolonged spell of severe cold weather to drop temperatures. This should be a real great advantage I am hearing bass are being caught in more numbers down south last 3 years and with the netters and trawlers grounded due to severe gales this looks. Really promising for us . I really think we are gonna have a corking season so sharpen those hooks and set that clutch

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Looking at data from various bouys. The water temp is 9 degrees
c. This time last year we was at 5 degrees c that's a huge difference and with the next two weeks showing gales from south west and more rain there is very little chance of water temperature dropping . Which meas we would need a long prolonged spell of severe cold weather to drop temperatures. This should be a real great advantage I am hearing bass are being caught in more numbers down south last 3 years and with the netters and trawlers grounded due to severe gales this looks. Really promising for us . I really think we are gonna have a corking season so sharpen those hooks and set that clutch
I hope your right mate like you say there can't be too much trawling going on at the moment, it could be an interesting year if all goes to plan, I wonder if the red hot summer last year would have helped the baby bass get of to a good start?

I'm just reading mike ladles book and he says a good spawning year can secure stocks for like 20 years but I don't know what constitutes a good year in terms of spawning success?

In terms of the season starting il be starting early march as per usual on the llyn, it's probably too early but I was talking to the guys in foxons and they reckon if you can find clear water on the you have a chance all year round, they have caught in February which seems to be people's least favourable month so you just never know.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I think it'll be tough in Feb on the lures but I've had Bass off Trefor pier to lug and squid cocktails in Feb before now

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Regards water temps - local water temps will affect the schoolies coming back inshore to their favoured esturine habitats, though if it carries on like this they will get a nasty shock when they find how cold it is inshore with all that mountain water (still 3 months yet!).

Regards the mature stock - they don't know what welsh water temps are! - you need to keep an eye on water temps off cornwall. No idea what they are like comparatively.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regards water temps - local water temps will affect the schoolies coming back inshore to their favoured esturine habitats, though if it carries on like this they will get a nasty shock when they find how cold it is inshore with all that mountain water (still 3 months yet!).

Regards the mature stock - they don't know what welsh water temps are! - you need to keep an eye on water temps off cornwall. No idea what they are like comparatively.
Water temp at channel light vessel 9 .6 degrees c agin way up on this time from last year. As for mature bass they come up through Channel Islands through a area known as the patch chasing the tons of sand eels pushed by Gulf Stream
So it all looks good. To me 😟😛

·
Banned
2,693 Posts

Thats interesting Cromcruaich, are you saying there are no bass inshore at the moment and only schoolies off shore around Wales with the larger bass down south on the spawing grounds...
this mild winter may mean another wet summer which will be another disappointment only hope it won't be.
One thing I learnt from beach netting was around this time of year plenty of bass inshore usually full of herring and only herring until the crabs moult.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I've been keeping a record of sea temperatures for about 6 years now and I'm pleased to see that this winter they seem to be bottoming out a good month earlier than last year and about 1.5 degrees higher, like Gregsie though I'm hoping that we don't have a late cold spell like we did in 2013. Fingers crossed and all being well temperatures will start to climb by mid March as usual rather than in late April like they did last year.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Thats interesting Cromcruaich, are you saying there are no bass inshore at the moment and only schoolies off shore around Wales with the larger bass down south on the spawing grounds...
this mild winter may mean another wet summer which will be another disappointment only hope it won't be.
One thing I learnt from beach netting was around this time of year plenty of bass inshore usually full of herring and only herring until the crabs moult.
Never any absolutes in fishing! Interesting about the herring, do you ever bother with the rod n line for bass this time of year?

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Never any absolutes in fishing! Interesting about the herring, do you ever bother with the rod n line for bass this time of year?
Only after certain weather conditions which we haven't had yet!!!.fished cemlyn last week and had two very small school bass both no more than 8 inch in length both taken on half a sandeel fished very high in the water.they are not as numerous but they area about..
if going out specifically for them during this time...herring fresh, sprat both with added foam so well off the bottom ...trying to hint that they are in mid water at this time of year from my experience.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
All this is very interesting and it's great having the opinions of such experienced anglers.
I do hope it stays mild and we don't have a repeat of last year but we shall see.
Good to know about the sea temps Andy but now I suppose it's all in the lap of the Gods so to speak.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Only after certain weather conditions which we haven't had yet!!!.fished cemlyn last week and had two very small school bass both no more than 8 inch in length both taken on half a sandeel fished very high in the water.they are not as numerous but they area about..
if going out specifically for them during this time...herring fresh, sprat both with added foam so well off the bottom ...trying to hint that they are in mid water at this time of year from my experience.

Would a veeeeeery slowly fished herring-esqe lure have much chance, at this time of year?

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Would a veeeeeery slowly fished herring-esqe lure have much chance, at this time of year?
First find an area that holds herring shoals, thats got a few thinking...my thoughts are that the bass well the bigger ones will stay around as long as the food does and is more likely to be in stationery ambush mode, think pike, so a bait off the bottom moving slowly will induce a take...so you will need a mark which has a rough base, slight flow and herring present...
the sandeels I used last time where casted out with an 2oz weight so they bounced about in the tide and covered over 60yds of beach..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts