World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this here because it is not intended for people already well into boat ownership!

As there have been so many threads and posts from folk thinking of buying a boat, and are asking about types of boats, saftety equipment, how to go about it etc., I'm thinking of holding a short, informal knowledge-share session in the Portsmouth area one Saturday/Sunday morning in a few weeks time. This would involve looking at different types of boats, a bit of chat, some practical demonstration, then maybe a short trip out to experience boat handling, rules of the road etc. It would have to be limited to four people. No cost, this is just in the interests of safety! Would anyone be interested?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
What a class idea! If you live near Salar and are thinking of getting a boat you would be foolish to turn this down!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,212 Posts
That's a generous offer Salar, I think you'll have quite a bit more than 4 candidates :) good on you, good opportunity here for some prospective boat owners. :)

G

·
Excellent idea Salar.

From reading other threads maybe you could also show people how to launch and retrieve on a slipway. Even if it was just a dinghy I am sure people on here would be happy to just watch and learn.

Malcolm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would be very intersted, just depends upon date.

I already have a boat but i am not that experienced yet, so i am keen to learn as much as possible.

Let me know the date, and i will let you know.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm thinking of June 2nd or 16th (morning) if there are a few people interested. I am based in a marina so I can show a lot of boats, plus boat handling but as the boat is already afloat I won't be demonstrating launching. If you are interested in trailer launching we can always go round the corner and watch some others having a go on the public slip and discuss tactics.

G

·
Salar

Would be happy to help one weekend too.

Could maybe do a session up this way to include some basic safety too.
Over at PBSBAC we run these every now and then and those with more experience take those with less out to show them the ropes.

Basic low speed handling, trimming an engine at speed and for the conditions, man overboard, safe anchoring, reading the conditions, boat styles and pros and cons of different hulls and topsides.

Happy to help if I can.

Tom

15,082 Posts
Salar

Would be happy to help one weekend too.

Could maybe do a session up this way to include some basic safety too.
Over at PBSBAC we run these every now and then and those with more experience take those with less out to show them the ropes.

Basic low speed handling, trimming an engine at speed and for the conditions, man overboard, safe anchoring, reading the conditions, boat styles and pros and cons of different hulls and topsides.

Happy to help if I can.

Tom
Can I come?...But we will use one of the larger 'Prestige' range for the day.Make sure you have plenty of squirt and the beer is cold on the flybridge :)

Ron

G

·
Can I come?...But we will use one of the larger 'Prestige' range for the day.Make sure you have plenty of squirt and the beer is cold on the flybridge :)

Ron
No no Ron this will be on a vessel more akin to one that "we" would be familiar with. 18 to 21 feet and outboard driven.

G

·
No No Thomas,you have that rather wrong,not 'we'...'Myself' would be akin to a little luxury!:)....Now dont be so bloody tight and get a big boat out!
:kissing:Ron my good man, whilst am aware of your love of all things "Gin Palace", the bulk of us on the forum tend to be more used to big rowing boats with medium sized outboard engines.
Therefore I am very happy to offer my services along with a normal boat of normal size as it will help provide an experience more akin to what my fellow forumites will experience when they / we return to our normal existences.

Tom

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wrong time, wrong place or just a bad idea! Looks like it won't be happening based on the lack of interest. If Potter or anyone else still wants to take up the offer, PM me and we'll organise something.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Sorry to hear that, would have been useful for a new boat owner.
I know how you feel though.I have sent PM`s to quite a few people on here who were thinking of getting a boat or needing advice/instruction offering to have them down the marina to look around and maybe take them out on my boat.Think i got a reply from only 2 people thanking me ,none of them so far taken me up on the offer.

Alan

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi
I've been watching this thread with interest and have a few comments, firstly not wishing to disagree with a mod (salar) but is this the right forum to post this in as i asked questions about buying a boat in this section only to have them moved to boat owning,equipment and matainace as they where about "buying a boat" and not about fishing with a boat that i allready have, just a small point but maybe not everybody looking to buy a boat looks here??.
Personally I think that what Salar is trying to do is is highly commendable and fully in the spirit of this this forum (helping people) but it is because of the distance involved and personal reasons that i am not able to take him up on his kind offer.
On the other side of the coin I have recently asked on this site if people more local to me would be prepaird to take me out for a short trip "around the bay" as it where, not to fish but so i can get a idea of whats involved i.e launching,droping anchor,recovering anchor,landing ect and have offerd to pay all costs, fuel time ect but have had no replys, I have even e-mailed local clubs with this offer but have had no replys from them eather. (do i smell :yucky:)
Mouse.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.