World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all me and my son have been fishing for a few years now (sea) and we want to have a go at kayak fishing is there some in particular that r good for starting out and also what about inflateable 1s r these good for fishing all help would be great thanks all rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi mate
you cant go wrong with the prowler 13 or any of the prowler range also wilderness do a good range as for inflatables i wouldn't go down that road.
Hope this is any help Allan

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I shudder when people mention blow up kayaks:nono:
Blow away more like, right out to sea.
You ask which are good for starting out, I would say get the right one first time and then your experience will be better, and you won't waste money.
As for blow ups,
No weight, so no momentum, very hard to paddle against any wind or tide, in fact impossible, fragile, and only useful for fresh water anglers on a small lake etc.
As mentioned above, a really good all rounder is the P13, or if you want British made the perception range are very good too, we have one of each in the family, although the perception isn't a fishing kayak, the Mrs uses it, as do I for long trips up the coast.
Just avoid inflatables at all costs. They just aren't up to it.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I shudder when people mention blow up kayaks:nono:
Blow away more like, right out to sea.
You ask which are good for starting out, I would say get the right one first time and then your experience will be better, and you won't waste money.
As for blow ups,
No weight, so no momentum, very hard to paddle against any wind or tide, in fact impossible, fragile, and only useful for fresh water anglers on a small lake etc.
As mentioned above, a really good all rounder is the P13, or if you want British made the perception range are very good too, we have one of each in the family, although the perception isn't a fishing kayak, the Mrs uses it, as do I for long trips up the coast.
Just avoid inflatables at all costs. They just aren't up to it.
Im thinking of getting 1 aswell,and have looked at the ranges youve mentioned.Have you any advice as to extra gear to get,rods,reels,safety etc,or any websites i could use.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
join anglersafloat forum, dedicated to kayak fishing only, it's all there, loads of advice and articles on what to buy and how to fit it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hi, I started last year looked at loads settled for a Trident.
Look on the boards there's loads of info everybody will help so ask lots of questions from kayaks, clothing, tackle etc
Join the anglers afloat site so much info.
Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also worth checking out the for sale section on the anglers afloat website there are usually loads of kayaks for sale most of which are already rigged for fishing which is quite handy if just starting out.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
hi all me and my son have been fishing for a few years now (sea) and we want to have a go at kayak fishing is there some in particular that r good for starting out and also what about inflateable 1s r these good for fishing all help would be great thanks all rick
They're great as long as you don't plan on going out too far or in windy conditions, Hobie make the best inflatables imo, but they are expensive!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
They're great as long as you don't plan on going out too far or in windy conditions, Hobie make the best inflatables imo, but they are expensive!
No no no, this is dangerous advice. Do not take an inflatable kayak to sea, they are lethal in anything other than a pond. The wind can suddenly get up very fast along the coast, you will be helpless against a 25mph plus wind.
I was out today in such conditions in my prowler, and I'm a fit experienced paddler, and it's hard work in a proper seaworthy kayak, you will go backwards in a blow-up one. If you value your life, buy a proper kayak.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Listen ti yakker he gave me some awesome advice when buying mine. One thing I got told by lots of people before I boughtine was to totally avoid blow ups. I went for the feelfree nomad. Took a few modifications for fishing but I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Listen ti yakker he gave me some awesome advice when buying mine. One thing I got told by lots of people before I boughtine was to totally avoid blow ups. I went for the feelfree nomad. Took a few modifications for fishing but I'm very happy with it.

There are blow-ups and there are blow-ups, buddy! Hobie blow ups are great for lakes, rivers, and calm coastal conditions..

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
No no no, this is dangerous advice. Do not take an inflatable kayak to sea, they are lethal in anything other than a pond. The wind can suddenly get up very fast along the coast, you will be helpless against a 25mph plus wind.
I was out today in such conditions in my prowler, and I'm a fit experienced paddler, and it's hard work in a proper seaworthy kayak, you will go backwards in a blow-up one. If you value your life, buy a proper kayak.
This inflatable will go and come back, anywhere a Prowler 13 will! but at prices starting at £1200 going to £2000 so they should, this model weighs the same as a prowler 13 25.4kg But I'll agree ''cheapo'' inflatable v
rigid kayak NO comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AmodwotNw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xB8j0Ky-Hw

·
Registered
553 Posts
I saw a guy in an inflatable getting pushed out to sea down the gannel in Newquay, in the end he decided to jump in and try to swim his yak back, he was very lucky, can remember his straw hat drifting out to sea. I've just started kayak fishing and am loving it, purchased a malibu mini x 9'3" and love it, its got to be one of the most stable yaks out there and goes straight in the van but will be looking at a prowler trident or wilderness tarpon for a bit more speed but will keep the mini x as it is great fun and turns better than the large yaks .
http://zebrakayak.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=itemsontest&action=display&thread=483

·
Registered
24 Posts
This inflatable will go and come back, anywhere a Prowler 13 will! but at prices starting at £1200 going to £2000 so they should, this model weighs the same as a prowler 13 25.4kg But I'll agree ''cheapo'' inflatable v
rigid kayak NO comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AmodwotNw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xB8j0Ky-Hw
The sea and wind conditions in that video look nothing like what happens in my local area (NE Scotland). Regular big swells look dramatic but are easy for any kayak to deal with. Winds which can kick up in minutes, switch direction, or the sudden change in conditions when the tide switches are more like reality here.

Inflatables would be a really bad idea in my area at least, and unless you can come up with more convincing "proof" than that video I'd suggest you stop promoting them to newbies unless you really really know what you are talking about.

Just an opinion like ;)

Chris

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
I saw a guy in an inflatable getting pushed out to sea down the gannel in Newquay, in the end he decided to jump in and try to swim his yak back, he was very lucky, can remember his straw hat drifting out to sea. I've just started kayak fishing and am loving it, purchased a malibu mini x 9'3" and love it, its got to be one of the most stable yaks out there and goes straight in the van but will be looking at a prowler trident or wilderness tarpon for a bit more speed but will keep the mini x as it is great fun and turns better than the large yaks .
http://zebrakayak.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=itemsontest&action=display&thread=483
If you want a proper kayak mate I'd suggest you take a look at the Kaskazi Dorado, now that's a proper sit on top

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
The sea and wind conditions in that video look nothing like what happens in my local area (NE Scotland). Regular big swells look dramatic but are easy for any kayak to deal with. Winds which can kick up in minutes, switch direction, or the sudden change in conditions when the tide switches are more like reality here.

Inflatables would be a really bad idea in my area at least, and unless you can come up with more convincing "proof" than that video I'd suggest you stop promoting them to newbies unless you really really know what you are talking about.

Just an opinion like ;)

Chris
Have you pedalled a Hobie inflatable in wind? I have thanks..;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts