World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking at a pair of new beachcasters for clean to mixed ground work. I am a reasonably competent caster both pendulum and OTG, but on a bit of a budget at the moment. I've narrowed it down to four: Imax bi-ceps
Grauvell RC SURF
Shakespeare Salt mx-s
Greys grx-s

I already have a lot of information on the Imax and Greys rods but was looking for some help on the others. For instance, will the Shakespeare and Grauvell comfortably allow me to cast a couple of small baits over 100 yards. I'm not looking for something that'll reach the horizon here, just a competent rod that will allow me to fish up to 130 yards or so if need be.

I know they are cheaper than the others, and many will say "You get what you pay for" but all I am looking for, as I said, is a competent rod, not too soft, with decent bite indication to fish the clean stuff. Any info greatly appreciated.

Ambassadeur

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Daiwa supercasts are another to add, though they are a fait bit pricier, theyre perfect for what you want them for :thumbs:

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not got a surf but I do have a couple of grauvells, an 11'sc spin and a 9' tele and neither has disappointed.

I stopped searching for an 'ultimate sea spinning rod' after I got the 11 footer.:fishing1:

I always try and give one a waggle before I buy it.
A rod is very much a personal preference thing IMO, it's gotta feel right when it's in your mitts, no matter how fabby others say a particular rod is.

A lot of folks on a budget have been well chuffed with the shakespeare salts.

·
TEAM FORESHORE
1,793 Posts
the greys grx-s are amazing rods for the money i have two,they put the bait out a far way too... good bite detection and you can fell what the fish is doing .and extremely light i could hold it for some time and not be bothered by the weight of it. yet it has backbone....one off the two ive had for 1yr the other i bought 4 months ago but with me being a tackle tart i want some more expensive ones lol....so im getting rid of them both for £150 they are in mint condition ... pm me or send me an email if your intrested ... [email protected] .... tight uns ryan

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I have 2 Grauvell RC surfs at 14ft, they're a nice 3 piece rod but not for the heavy stuff as you may know. I've never smashed a ring either and they have been over in the dark a few times.

They're discounted at the moment at Devon angling and if that's what you go for I would chose the 225g rating.

Have a look at the 13ft F/S ABU Hellbender too, they came out at £115.14 delivered.

Good luck, it's not easy choosing new rods on someone elses advice...:fishing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts