World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but is there any point in doing a spot of lure fishing from porthcawl pier at this time of year?

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
None whatsoever! :D The water is the colour of coffee there at the mo, when the water clears up it's worth a shot, maybe in a few weeks. :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
but is there any point in doing a spot of lure fishing from porthcawl pier at this time of year?
I had a go off newton the other day, with the old red gil and golf ball, did`nt catch pwp all, but I enjoyed it while also fishing the bottom. Might be worth a try mate, dont know until you try:g: Helps relieve the boredom if the bites are not coming.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i have had a couple of bass up to 4lb, small pollack and a baby cuttlefish on lures.mainly around black rocks newton point on my kayak. i noticed some people fly fishing in the surf on sunday down porthcawl, so its worth a shot!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
None whatsoever! :D The water is the colour of coffee there at the mo, when the water clears up it's worth a shot, maybe in a few weeks. :)
:g: not being funny rob ,but if its clear enough to floatfish a piece of mackie then its clear enough to spin.you may argue the mackiie has a scent trail but the spinner has movement and causes vibration.as always my answer,give it a go,you dont know till you try.rely on others advice,youll end up knitting.:marinheir :marinheir :fishing1: :fishing1:

G

·
:g: not being funny rob ,but if its clear enough to floatfish a piece of mackie then its clear enough to spin.you may argue the mackiie has a scent trail but the spinner has movement and causes vibration.as always my answer,give it a go,you dont know till you try.rely on others advice,youll end up knitting.:marinheir :marinheir :fishing1: :fishing1:
i just down about 50 spins on the lifeboat slip and then on the county hall steps nothing but out for an hour:)

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Everyone is entitled to an opinion mate, mine is based on the fact that I was there a few days ago and the water was too murky, the fish can't tell if it's day or night, that's why you don't see many anglers plugging/spinning at night, cos they don't catch! ;)

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I don't believe the pier was mentioned in that report Andy, which is what the original question was asking. :)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
:g: yep,youre right rob,the pier wasnt mentioned,didnt realizethe water colour changes by the yard.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Everyone is entitled to an opinion mate, mine is based on the fact that I was there a few days ago and the water was too murky, the fish can't tell if it's day or night, that's why you don't see many anglers plugging/spinning at night, cos they don't catch! ;)
Have to agree with you Rob, whilst I would also love to have a go at it, like you say the water is still way too murky.

·
Registered
70 Posts
try olivers bay i will be there at the week-end chasing bass&pollack though the latter are not very big about a lb being the best have also picked up plaice here but on small spinners trickled in as slow as poss,hope this helps.
abu

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
try olivers bay i will be there at the week-end chasing bass&pollack though the latter are not very big about a lb being the best have also picked up plaice here but on small spinners trickled in as slow as poss,hope this helps.
abu

sounds good mate, where's Olivers bay?

Ye but the atlantic waters down West are clear, but down here in the South the water is like chocolate until the late spring
Mmmmmmmmmmm chocolate:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts