World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everybody is buying toys and I have been getting on just peachy with my ancient Garmin 551S, antique Funruno radar and a cheap tablet. Never got lost, not once. Not even in the thickest of mists. OK, I tell a lie. I did get confused once when the anchor dragged during a mid night storm and the chartplotter was spinning with no outside references. But that was just once and only lasted a moment. Still boys toys and all and why shouldnt I mount my willy on an open array and spin it in contest with all them marina queens?
Knowing I'd only get socks in exchange for all them gaming laptops and baubles plus trinkets come Santa-time I hit the plastic with gusto cos its Black Friday and I was bored and bought everything a pretentious yuppie could desire including autopilot plus hydraulic steering the works. It;s come in several suitably heavy boxes plus more and on unpacking it has dawned on me there is a lot of stuff in there that I havent got a clue how to string together. I looked at my toolbox of spanners and at the boxes and back again but nothing did compute. It also suddenly occurred to me I have nowhere on the boat to mount half this shet. That I am going to curse it and have to spend many nights making up new dashboards and reading reams of instructions on how to wire it all together. I mean my Garmin 551S was easy. Cut a hole, slap it in. Connect to battery. Jobs a goodun. WTF? 1 box is just cables. No instructions. Just loads and loads of effing cables that looks like the gumf you get when buying a tv and throw away into some draw in the hopes you never have to use it.
What I need is a young bunny bilge rat with a handle on electronic to come fit this shet cause willy waving has never looked so much like hard work before. Free beer and wet wipes!

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Mate lay it all out on the floor and plug it all in etc then label it all both ends and middle sections. that will make it easyer when fitting the cables in boat. do the cables first then worry about brackets and units it will all come together easy then mate

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I may try a dry run in the lounge when the chattel are off for the day boosting the local economy at my expense. I darent try it while they are around as god only knows the state of penury I will inherit when the market exchange rate of socks to boat electronics is discussed.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Thats a bit how I felt when fitting my engine - boxes of nothing but junction boxes, little black boxes and cables, but fortunately, for the most part the installation manual with each bit was quite clear (had to talk to the dealer once), but took it all one stage at a time and I got there OK.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
I would to offer to come and do it for you if i did to be fit enough right now BK. Also to have a bit onto my plate but will to help with what i can.

What axiom pro did you to get in the end?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would to offer to come and do it for you if i did to be fit enough right now BK. Also to have a bit onto my plate but will to help with what i can.
Skulking off in my hour of need?! Well you wouldnt be the first!!

What axiom pro did you to get in the end?
You know, I dont know. After going through the process with several shops only to find on saying take my money they'd umm and ah and say they dont hold stock and Raymarine lead times are iffy and and and well and and !! but !! we will take your bucks and hold it for you type speeches followed by my politest fecknorf response I found a dealer who actually holds stock in Hudson Marine and said what I would like my christmas tree to look like in broad terms and to make it happen. All he asked was did I get wet fingers w.r.t. the touchscreen to which I replied never when the missus or kids are onboard. It all came by courrier the next day. Excellent service I have to say. Still dont know what all he sent though.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Skulking off in my hour of need?! Well you wouldnt be the first!!

You know, I dont know. After going through the process with several shops only to find on saying take my money they'd umm and ah and say they dont hold stock and Raymarine lead times are iffy and and and well and and !! but !! we will take your bucks and hold it for you type speeches followed by my politest fecknorf response I found a dealer who actually holds stock in Hudson Marine and said what I would like my christmas tree to look like in broad terms and to make it happen. All he asked was did I get wet fingers w.r.t. the touchscreen to which I replied never when the missus or kids are onboard. It all came by courrier the next day. Excellent service I have to say. Still dont know what all he sent though.
Trust you to pay the money and to not bother to know🤣
If you can to wait a month or two i to be all yours ans maybe to fit it for you. Try as i may to i cannot to be your serving wench whenever you to click your fingers. Well not for the next 2 months or so. Phone and text guidance only i am to be afraid to say.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem is I dont know, and there are so many vendors, so why bother. I said I'd buy all the kit off him as it's a one stick, one person, beating, if it's wrong. As it's the latest stuff its got to be better than what I have... right? Apart from the autopilot which I confess to looking forward to, it's just there for decoration. I'm hardly likely to ever use it in anger.

Reactions: Lady Half Pint

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
The problem is I dont know, and there are so many vendors, so why bother. I said I'd buy all the kit off him as it's a one stick, one person, beating, if it's wrong. As it's the latest stuff its got to be better than what I have... right? Apart from the autopilot which I confess to looking forward to, it's just there for decoration. I'm hardly likely to ever use it in anger.
I do to know what yoy mean as we dod to talk of it, but i to just find it funny you to buy something and not know what you did bought

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know exactly what I bought! An Axiom MFD with Navionics, Autopilot bundle with loadsa gubbins to get it to work, AIS integrated MFD radio thing with VHF, cheapish radar in radome, has doppler? Hydraulic Helm, autopilot helm pump, steering ram. Shitpile cables

• Love

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, we argued over fishfinder but I already have a depth sounder and FF and the depth sounder does a better job so we stuffed that idea

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're going to fight me all the way arent you? All I asked was for you to come and install the damn things. And you put me on the waiting list :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
You're going to fight me all the way arent you? All I asked was for you to come and install the damn things. And you put me on the waiting list :mad:
Well yes. You not to need it right now anyway and i do to have alot on at the moment as you do know. I to be sure you can to wait a month or two given it to be winter now.

I did think you would appreciate the LR is a way of life line 🤣

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You dont understand the concept of immediate gratification do you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts