World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had one for ages and just used it as a normal rod through my teen years... But now ive upgraded to anyfish anywhere rod, and can now cast over 4 oz, i really fail to see the point in a bass rod? :s

For starters they only cast 2-4 oz (on average)... but bass love rough water? using that light weight in rough weather on chesil etc is useless, the tide brings it straight back in, and the waves drag your line under the pebbles.....

Second of all, i wouldnt trust that rod with a bass any bigger than 7lb.... they're so thin, they might aswell be spinning rods....

and finally i cast a mackerel head with a 4 oz weight the other day, and one of my eyes snapped, the rod couldnt handle it at all... So you cant even cast big baits on them? :S

people will prob say they're meant for estuary fishing etc...

which will lead to the another qestion as to why are they so flexible? because im pretty sure bass bite like a b****. So there's no need for such a sensitive tip, is there?

so what is the point in them? Why not just get a beach caster that will cast the big weights and big baits and land you the big fish?

·
Registered
882 Posts
i think there are loads of different kinds of bass rods on the market,
i use 2, 12ft bass rods for beach fishing,they will cast a 6oz weight as far as i can belt it.
plus, when you do catch a decent size fish you get a nice bend in the rod,unlike if you are using a broomstick beachcaster.
cheers
john:thumbs:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I like a classic bass rod, casting weight 1-4 oz, for the reason they were designed. A rod with enough power to tame a big bass but is light enough that you can hold for 24 hours if you really have to. If you arent into holding your rod, you dont need a bass rod.

If 4oz isnt holding in the swell, chances are the bass arent holding in the swell. This is when you need to consider casting further, and perhaps the bass rod isnt the tool to be used in these conditions.

A bass rod that is rated to cast 6oz is misleading marketting. It should be sold as a surf rod, cos thats what it is!! I had exactly the same issue with a bass rod from Shalespeare, that I think might be on the SALT blank (not a SALT rod though). THe blank was excellent, so I spent £9 on a set of proper original Fuji's, re-built the rod, and it is now my main tool until I can afford some Assasin blanks.

A bass rod that has eyes that self destruct in use is called a cheap and nasty bass rod. You pays for what you get.

For 99% of my bassing with big baits, I could leave the rod to one side and swing the bait out by hand. I dont do that, however, as even my carp rods can easily send a big bait the required ten yards.

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
ive had one for ages and just used it as a normal rod through my teen years... But now ive upgraded to anyfish anywhere rod, and can now cast over 4 oz, i really fail to see the point in a bass rod? :s

For starters they only cast 2-4 oz (on average)... but bass love rough water? using that light weight in rough weather on chesil etc is useless, the tide brings it straight back in, and the waves drag your line under the pebbles.....

Second of all, i wouldnt trust that rod with a bass any bigger than 7lb.... they're so thin, they might aswell be spinning rods....

and finally i cast a mackerel head with a 4 oz weight the other day, and one of my eyes snapped, the rod couldnt handle it at all... So you cant even cast big baits on them? :S

people will prob say they're meant for estuary fishing etc...

which will lead to the another qestion as to why are they so flexible? because im pretty sure bass bite like a b****. So there's no need for such a sensitive tip, is there?

so what is the point in them? Why not just get a beach caster that will cast the big weights and big baits and land you the big fish?
Firstly, Bass can be found pretty much anywhere, not just really fast water, and if you are fishing the kind of beach where your line can be buried under the shingle, then keep your rod tip right up and use braid main line which is a bit more abrasion resistant.

Secondly, I don't understand you you would not trust a Bass rod to cope with a fish over 7lb? if your dragging in 7lb of weed then its still not particularly heavy, and if you are lucky enough to hook a 7lb plus Bass then you wont just be cranking it in anyway, you have to play the fish and let your reels drag do the work.

Thirdly, as said before, you obviously have very poor quality guides if they break when casting, although I cant see how a guide can break from casting as they take very little strain, the tip guide will take a bit more of the brunt, but should still never break just from casting.

And lastly, They are generally tippy, through action rods, as not all Bass give a huge whack of a bite, even the bigguns. so good bite indication dose help, especially if you like to hit the fish early to avoid deep hooking. and as Bass like to run, dive and often come up on top and start thrashing, trying to throw the hook, a good through action will allow the rod to bend into a thrashing fish, not ripping the hook out and losing fish.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I bought a Conoflex Bare Bones Bass blank a few months back and i built it myself with fuji BNMAG rings. It was such a nice rod to fish with i could put a nice size crab bait and the 4oz weight if i needed to. I have no doubts that it could have brought in a double figure bass. most of the cheapy bass rods i have owned have been frankly awlful. I know of guys using Conoflex/Century/Zziplex bass for double figure smoothhounds. I sold my bass rod firstly i do not do that much bass fishing and i got a really good price for it!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Along the same lines......... Whats the point in a spinning rod/boat rod/beachcaster.....they are rods aimed towards certain styles of angling,to make fishing easier,more fun, and to suit certain types of fishing.

To me the main POINT of a Bass rod is to put some fun into the fishing when conditions allow.

BASS RODS Its a rod aimed mainly at Bass fishing.....but theres so many types of Bass fishing,methods,marks etc.......no one rod can do it all. So sometimes beachcasters are better than Bass rods for Bass,sometimes if conditions and marks suit ,then the Bass rod can put alot of fun into Bass fishing,some marks even a spinning rod can be used for Bass bottom fishing,now thats fun!!

I bought a pair of Bass rods 20 plus years ago(Conoflex) the rings lasted a few sessions(copy fuji lookalikes) so i put Fuji BNHG eyes on the rods and havent needed to replace a single eye since.

These rods put some fun into my fishing,they can be used for more than just Bass fishing. Floatfishing,heavy spinning,feathering,ledgering etc. Ive had Bass,Flounder,Conger,Whiting,Silver eels,Codling,Pollack,mackeral,Garfish ,Trigger fish,Pouting,Plaice ,Dab,Angler fish,Sole ,Grey Mullet,red Mullet,Rays,Dogfish,Coalfish,Gurnards,etc etc on those rods.

Bass rods are best used where theres not a massive tidal pull or too large a swell or really heavy ground unless you fish in close or into some slacker water. I think Bass rods were originally designed for fishing light on the surf beaches or fishing close in while fishing in rocky gullies etc.

Bass rods dont suit all marks where the Bass are found,but they do give great fun on the Bass at marks that suit them(when theres no weed etc),plus you can try for more than Bass on the Bass rods.

Lots of bass rods out there.........1 to 3oz, 2 to 4oz, 3 to 5oz.
Some are through actioned,alot are soft tipped and have more powerfull mid sections and butts. Some Bass rods in the right hands can cast a bait as far as the average angler can with his beachcaster.

Catch a 3 to 5lb bass on a heavy beachcaster and reel it quickish and it will come to the top most times and sometimes shed the hook as it shakes its head when lightly hooked or if using a stiff rod it isnt as much sport,using a Bass rod the rod bends more and the fish can give a better fight in my opinion. Thats why i bought Bass rods,not to catch more bass,but to enjoy the ones i do catch more.

Bass rods are great.if used when/where conditions allow/suit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BASS RODS, i'll even use carp rods, how much fun can be had, even with a little schoolie. seen my mate pull a 14lb congar up the rocks on one. my motto fish as light as you can get away with.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Whats the point in a big heavy bass rod?

Just get yourself a shallow bottomed fishing boat, and a drift net you can haul in by hand.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
lol is this a wind up? - a decent spinning rod will spank a double easy.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
lol is this a wind up? - a decent spinning rod will spank a double easy.
It might not hook one in the first place at some marks though.

A rod with more power(than some spinning rods) may be needed to get a big bait out to the fish.Or to fish certain venues where a bigger weight is needed to hold bottom.

A angler you know has fished and watched Bass of 8lb to doubles hooked recently plus 3 to 5lb ers most sessions. Bait not lures though :laugh:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just get a light beachcaster/heavy spinning rod, any will do, and a felt tip pen, write bass on it and you got a bass rod.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts