World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after my last venture out, my cuz was making noise about a session on Sunday night so who was I to refuse!!
He'd wanted to fish the arm or middle bank but with the predicted southerly storm approaching I talked him into fishing my usual mark near the Kings hall for protection. The other two would've been horrendous!!!
I got down about 7pm and met up with him and he'd already got set up.
After losing 3 sets of gear to snags on Friday I set up about 60yds further along to try and avoid a repeat.
Quickly got set up and put the tent up as I knew it could get nasty later despite not being too bad at the time, a gentle breeze with occasional gusts and light rain.
I'd chucked both rods out with my usual set up and after a bit of banter I thought it was time to reel in and see what was happening.
Snagged!! :mad:
1st set of gear lost, not amused I wound the second rod and snagged again!!! Got it free thankfully but I've no idea what's causing this, next big low I've got to get out there and see, it's driving me nuts!!!!
Rebaited and sent that back out whilst I sorted a new leader etc on the first, chucked that out and fishing again.
First decent bite of the session; a nice pull followed by a slack liner... Wound down and Ray on! This'll make up for it I thought but oh no, not a chance! Bloody thing snagged up on the way in!!!! I tried giving it line to see if it'd pull itself free but despite all the thumping away it didn't and eventually I snapped off!! I was near to launching my gear in the sea and stomping home!!!
I didn't however and persevered and an hour or so went by until I did actually get one to the beach, half ounce over 5lb she was a welcome reprieve.
Another hour went by and a solid pull resulted in a pucker fight which was due to pulling ray no.2 up backwards, foul hooked in the gill!! At 8lbs 7oz I wasn't complaining though, my night was looking up.
Or so I thought!
The weather really turned then, although we'd had steady rain it wasn't unbearable but it lashed down, the wind picked up and all I could do was hide in the shelter! When it finally abated a little I went to wind in and.... Need I even say it! Snagged and snapped :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
That was it for me, I'd lost enough tackle for one night and left Dave to continue his night alone, packing up around 1am.
At least I didn't blank I guess!.....now, where's my lead mould.....
Fish Hat Recreation Event Darkness
Smile Sleeve Hat Glove Event

Oh, I forgot to mention just to add to my woes, the handle on my 7ht mag has corroded and started going all bendy!! Had to swap halfway thru to my back up Abu!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mate you've had some bad times with snagging recently! You didn't miss anything (literally nothing!) after you left. I must have packed up just after 2. So still yet to get me first ray, but I'm happy with me reasonable dab lol!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Jests, did you get snagged at all?

Den

·
Registered
785 Posts
Another successful session Ben....bit unlucky with the 'snags' though. :(
Nice fish.

I fished Saturday night up 'the other end'...was very pleasant in front of the shalets.....however i also found 'snags'....but holding constant pressure on the line dislodged them.....the snags were (i think) slipper limpets....several times after pulling free, i had some attached to the weight wire.
Fish wise, only had Dab and pins.
Met Saltwater Fly too, nice to chat Kieron.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is strange since aside from the one with the Ray on, they were all snagged instantly from the start of the wind. I guess limpets could be the reason but I thought it was just sand out there with the odd rock. Surely they'd need something to be 'gripped' to... Unless they've been at the spinach!!!
Jests, did you get snagged at all?

Den
Dave did get snagged a couple of times but on rocks close in which I know are there, his cast is not quite as far as mine (yet!), I was only getting snagged at distance, and it was mainly early on with not much water and again over slack, it's happened the same along this stretch for me in the past.
Very puzzling, waiting for a spring and high pressure to get out and have a good look!!!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done Ben,
Strange that you should be picking up snags like that ?? how far do you estimate you are casting out ??
Rob
Hard to say really rob but I'd think about 100-120yds

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Well done again Ben

Reactions: Stormtrooper

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Nice result again Ben....despite the problems.............am wondering if the snags are lost gear due to the number of anglers fishing down there at the mo ? May be an idea to walk the beach over low water.....could be worthwhile :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice result again Ben....despite the problems.............am wondering if the snags are lost gear due to the number of anglers fishing down there at the mo ? May be an idea to walk the beach over low water.....could be worthwhile :)
Believe me I'm going to! If not to get anything back, just to see what's causing it. Trouble is with that stretch is it only goes out far enough on a spring tide to have a proper look.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Thanks for reply, I might have to get down there with my 60lb straight through?

Den

·
Read Only
2,618 Posts
You braved the elements Ben and got your reward im sure you will retrieve some tackle on the low......great read and pics as usual well done....

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
after my last venture out, my cuz was making noise about a session on Sunday night so who was I to refuse!!
He'd wanted to fish the arm or middle bank but with the predicted southerly storm approaching I talked him into fishing my usual mark near the Kings hall for protection. The other two would've been horrendous!!!
I got down about 7pm and met up with him and he'd already got set up.
After losing 3 sets of gear to snags on Friday I set up about 60yds further along to try and avoid a repeat.
Quickly got set up and put the tent up as I knew it could get nasty later despite not being too bad at the time, a gentle breeze with occasional gusts and light rain.
I'd chucked both rods out with my usual set up and after a bit of banter I thought it was time to reel in and see what was happening.
Snagged!! :mad:
1st set of gear lost, not amused I wound the second rod and snagged again!!! Got it free thankfully but I've no idea what's causing this, next big low I've got to get out there and see, it's driving me nuts!!!!
Rebaited and sent that back out whilst I sorted a new leader etc on the first, chucked that out and fishing again.
First decent bite of the session; a nice pull followed by a slack liner... Wound down and Ray on! This'll make up for it I thought but oh no, not a chance! Bloody thing snagged up on the way in!!!! I tried giving it line to see if it'd pull itself free but despite all the thumping away it didn't and eventually I snapped off!! I was near to launching my gear in the sea and stomping home!!!
I didn't however and persevered and an hour or so went by until I did actually get one to the beach, half ounce over 5lb she was a welcome reprieve.
Another hour went by and a solid pull resulted in a pucker fight which was due to pulling ray no.2 up backwards, foul hooked in the gill!! At 8lbs 7oz I wasn't complaining though, my night was looking up.
Or so I thought!
The weather really turned then, although we'd had steady rain it wasn't unbearable but it lashed down, the wind picked up and all I could do was hide in the shelter! When it finally abated a little I went to wind in and.... Need I even say it! Snagged and snapped :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
That was it for me, I'd lost enough tackle for one night and left Dave to continue his night alone, packing up around 1am.
At least I didn't blank I guess!.....now, where's my lead mould..... View attachment 321810 View attachment 321818
Oh, I forgot to mention just to add to my woes, the handle on my 7ht mag has corroded and started going all bendy!! Had to swap halfway thru to my back up Abu!
Excuse me could u leave some fish for others please
As they'll all get cranky

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hi Ben,

Well done on the catches again.

As for the snags, were your leads coming back with mud/clay on them? Especially around the wires.

I have found that on some areas the leads can sink into the clay and lock in as if they are set in concrete potentially causing your snags? Just a thought as it has happened to me.

I have also scouted out at low tide and worked out and noted what groynes are completely snag free (from visible obstructions). It's easy to remember when all the groynes are numbered ;)

Well done on the rays again

Alan

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Next big set 11th and 12 th of March
6.3 s
Or 12 th and 13 th of February
6.1 s

Reactions: bluepied
1 - 20 of 27 Posts