World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Freeloader
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this year im thinking of treking a lot further than just down the road im thinking of north shields etc an on the west coast like blackpool/liverpool and digging a few black lugs for the way home :whistling has anyone else ever travelled around at winter.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
this year im thinking of treking a lot further than just down the road im thinking of north shields etc an on the west coast like blackpool/liverpool and digging a few black lugs for the way home :whistling has anyone else ever travelled around at winter.
ive fished all over during winter mate ,though mostly matches ,but to be honest you would be leaving the most consistent cod fishing in britain behind to do so .

sure the N.E of england can be good on its day and there are certainly more big doubles and twenties ,but if you look at the amount of anglers out on a weekend in that area ,the fish per rod hour ratio is no where near as good as the east coast of scotland. the northwest is notoriously patchy and the blackpool area is a scary place to fish over low on a night tide ,due to the speed of the flood and the nature of the gullies on the beaches.

the mersey on its day is can be full of codling and massive whiting , but as far as i know it hasnt fished well in the winter for a couple of years (im sure someone will let us know if thats not the case ) and back on the east coast from scarborough south to spurn point seemed to chuck out some good bags and some large fish last winter but nothing that would entice me to pleasure fish for cod anywhere else but the east coast of scotland !

ps black lug is the most overrated cod bait going .used in the right way ,on the right venue it can outfish other baits ,but not up here.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If its owt like last winter down this way,don,t bother mate.
It was rubbish.My worst in 40 years of fishing for them.
I fished some of the best marks i know from Northumberland to Holderness in perfect conditions for 16 Cod all winter.
That used to be one decent session.
There were a few doubles caught as early as November,but the ammount of smaller fish was very poor.
As said above,stick where the fish are.
Loads of Whiting if you like catching them,a guy won a local match on Saturday with 44.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Spent a bit of the 60's , all of the 70's and 80's wishing I lived near Arbroath as the fishing in Yorkshire/Lincs/Norfolk was too hit and miss.Now I'm up here I'm sure it's gonna get better this winter(thought that last year.....and the year before....and)
Grass ain't always greener I guess.
I'm planning to go further north ,Peterhead/Fraserburgh for starters are venues I've not yet fished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts