World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a little question . can u catch thornback rays from the newastle upon area to norththumberland coast . just thought i ask to see if any one knows or could give me advice thanks in advance

·
13,170 Posts
Moved to NE forum for the local experts to advise.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Don't know about north of the Tyne but there have been Spotted Ray taken off Shields Pier in the recent past and Thornbacks (plus the odd Spotted) from the old colliery beaches in Durham

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Don't know how true it is, but apparently thornies used to be caught at Lynemouth. Haven't heard of any in the last few years though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
heard some off roker last week . u need To know their preference and try from there. e.g sandbanks etc normally casting distance will help .

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
They have been caught occasionally around Hartlepool in the last few years so they must be about. Not really heard of anyone directly targeting them so there may be more about than we think. Heard of them getting caught on the Heugh, Marina and Saltburn Pier.........You never know....Think they like hard backed crabs which no one would ever use around here normally...

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
recently theres been one os saltburn and seaham. they also get caught off hartlepool, horden, roker, and shields.

they should be further north its just a case of finding them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want to catch thornies use fish baits - whole squid, Mackie, bluey or sandeel. We catch lots of thornies down here on the Bristol channel. Try a running ledger with a hook snood of about 3-6 feet with a pennel rig or an up and over rig if you need to cast further. They are not keen on a sandy bottom, they like coral or broken ground best. good luck with your thornie hunt!

·
Registered
686 Posts
One beached itself at druridge bay a couple of year back when I was fishing there. Seems to be a few on the north east coast but the only places I've heard rays caught a decent amount of times are Seaham pier and Horden beach

·
Registered
814 Posts
There's been a few off saltburn pier there was one of there the other week 5lb and there was a 8lb & another one off there in 2013

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't know about north of the Tyne but there have been Spotted Ray taken off Shields Pier in the recent past and Thornbacks (plus the odd Spotted) from the old colliery beaches in Durham
just a little question . can u catch thornback rays from the newastle upon area to norththumberland coast . just thought i ask to see if any one knows or could give me advice thanks in advance
Seen a few dead ones been washed up at low ties on Steetly beach hartlepool but never caught one like

·
Registered
23 Posts
Never seen any caught on this coast but I have caught 2 on the same day over at Whitehaven West Pier. They get them over there quite regularly.did see a couple of small rays washed up alive next to Marsden Rock when I was fishing there last year. They were not Thornbacks, some other Ray, spotted or undulate I seem to remember. I was chucking them back but they were washing back up onto the beach again. Only small, about 8 inches long so they are there but not heard of any being caught there.
Not sure if this helps but all extra info.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've only seen them here dead on the beach and small, never seen anyone pull one out at Seaham. Its got a big angling club look em up and give them a ring, theres 600+ members or so so if any have come in on rod n line they'll tell you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Buy a kayak and paddle out to 20ft water any where as long as its over sand and you will catch Thornies. All you need is a slice of Mackerel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts