Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time:- 8pm-1.30am
Fish:- 4 basslets best 1.5lb
Conditons:- Largeish swell but calming,clear
High Water:- approx 2.45am.
Baits:- Rag,Lug,Peeler,Squid

I decided to fish Thorpeness as its always capable of throwing up a few sole after a good dig friday night.
I have to say ive come away a little disappointed but think it may be a little early still for sole and maybe a bit on the rough side,1st fish came around 10.30pm,a small bass at around 40 yards,followed by 3 in fairly quick succession.
There were a few to my left,I saw the kids Gerry,i think i might have been the one to your right.
It went quiet after midnight and after trying all ranges for fish i decided to call it a day at around 1.30am.
I think Aug/Sept will throw a few more up,im hearing lots of reports of Sole moving in as piers seem to be chucking them up,i think another 2-3 weeks theyll be around in numbers,i hope :).

·
Registered
475 Posts
well done on the bass, i saw someone to our right i noticed you got a snag early on did you get free?
shame the sole never showed but that spot is good for them when they arrive !!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was me Gerry,i got free mate yeah just lost a hook always use 15lb amnesia which usually manages to break 1st without losing the whole rig!!!!,i was useing my old north western bass rod and didnt want to break it!!!! I would have come over for a chat but saw all them kids and decided against it as i was on my own as my mate couldnt fish due to work commitments,it looked like you were having fun over there!!!
I got plenty of sole from just past that shed last year(aug/ sept) near the boat but have snagged several times,really glad it werent a net!!!
There is a buoy out there and i did wonder if it was connected,fortunately it seems not!!!!
My mate had a 6lb bass at the end of the wooden pathway last year and a bloody seal went after it,he got it in with scars!!!! I think i remember you posting a report of a lost fish on here last year,maybe i ll see you in the coming months.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah that was me Gerry,i got free mate yeah just lost a hook always use 15lb amnesia which usually manages to break 1st without losing the whole rig!!!!,i was useing my old north western bass rod and didnt want to break it!!!! I would have come over for a chat but saw all them kids and decided against it as i was on my own as my mate couldnt fish due to work commitments,it looked like you were having fun over there!!!
I got plenty of sole from just past that shed last year(aug/ sept) near the boat but have snagged several times,really glad it werent a net!!!
There is a buoy out there and i did wonder if it was connected,fortunately it seems not!!!!
My mate had a 6lb bass at the end of the wooden pathway last year and a bloody seal went after it,he got it in with scars!!!! I think i remember you posting a report of a lost fish on here last year,maybe i ll see you in the coming months.
yes lost a couple of bigger ones last year but caught some too, good fun (apart from kids) we found a few snags towards where you were feels like some old rope or similar, hence we keep further left, hope to catch up on the beach some time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Gerry,yeah hope to see you soon,I meant to add the mossies,they were bloody everywhere,just a quick warning to everyone fishing the beaches of suffolkin the next few weeks take some spray youll get seriously molested by the little buggers,ive got bites all over me,one thing for sure is you are guaranteed bites on the beach at the mo :)

:crazy::crazy::crazy::hammer:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cheers Gerry,yeah hope to see you soon,I meant to add the mossies,they were bloody everywhere,just a quick warning to everyone fishing the beaches of suffolkin the next few weeks take some spray youll get seriously molested by the little buggers,ive got bites all over me,one thing for sure is you are guaranteed bites on the beach at the mo :)

:crazy::crazy::crazy::hammer:
we were also plagued by them im bitten to bits !

·
Registered
60 Posts
got sole in dunwich but they say in two weeks there should here due to the commercial have filled there quoter and apparently theres loads have a lil go at dunwich 300 meter to the right from the cafe no snags nice spot
got a sole there on 17th :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers tazard mate yeah ive been thinking of trying dunwich/minsmere as both seem to be chucking out a few sole,i also noticed how shallow thorpeness has now become,no doubt after all them winter blows its dragged loads of extra shingle to this area which cant be great when sole are the quarry.
Will try Dunwich in a couple of weeks,its looking good certainly further up the coast :)
Now now soleies get ur asses down our neck of woods n maybe visit east lane area this summer......
The last real big sole boom year was 1990 if my memory serves me correctly,i was fishing at sizewell in august(suffolk beach anglers match as a junior) and had my best two sole 2lb 1oz and 1lb 15oz,absolute stonkers bout ten yards out in dead flat muggy conditions,20 years on lets be havin ya,i remember my uncle telling me 3 anglers form ipswich sea anglers went down that midweek and landed nearly 30 off them !!!! :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Suffolk Beach Anglers i would have been a member back around that time ! still have some old paper cuttings from 1990 from when i won a match !

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gerry Im trying to put a picture to you,my uncle is Chris Roberts from Debenham you may remember him i remember Paul Robinson,Peter Barber,I even saw Ricky Hall in my shop a few weeks back and he was giving me tips on trying to catch a skate from the shore.
These were good days,that year i was leading the summer league until i came a cropper on my moped on the way back from the rod n gun with half a pound of rag stuffed down my bodywarmer(at the tender age of 16) I even cut my camping holiday short in walberswick to fish the match,my mate still reckon it was mouldy margarets curse for not paying my subs on the campsite that week haha!!!! for a match down felixstowe that mon night,the paramedic found them upon arrival to the accident scene and thought it was my guts hanging out :) i was gutted to say the least two weeks in hospital,broken leg and off work for six months....all good fun :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Gerry Im trying to put a picture to you,my uncle is Chris Roberts from Debenham you may remember him i remember Paul Robinson,Peter Barber,I even saw Ricky Hall in my shop a few weeks back and he was giving me tips on trying to catch a skate from the shore.
These were good days,that year i was leading the summer league until i came a cropper on my moped on the way back from the rod n gun with half a pound of rag stuffed down my bodywarmer(at the tender age of 16) I even cut my camping holiday short in walberswick to fish the match,my mate still reckon it was mouldy margarets curse for not paying my subs on the campsite that week haha!!!! for a match down felixstowe that mon night,the paramedic found them upon arrival to the accident scene and thought it was my guts hanging out :) i was gutted to say the least two weeks in hospital,broken leg and off work for six months....all good fun :)[/QUOTE

vague memory, but i still speak to scarfy, i use to fish with roger from ipswich angling centre, dick thorpe. i think i remember you and chris roberts ring a bell.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool mate another name just came back to haunt me chris thorrington,a constant thorn in my side :)
We ll have to arrange a meet one night,maybe a sole match somewhere if you are up for it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts