World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just for speed I suppose makes it abit quicker when doing underwraps or long wraps ive never tried it the way you've said holding it in my fingers but I will give it a go.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
If your thread is on those 100m spools, then a fly tyers bobbin works very well for keeping tension, and avoids greasy fingers all over the threads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that was my thinking greasy fingers then the highbuild reaction from it ive heard about the fly tyres bobbin thing so I might give that a go will probably be easier too rather than changing spools I can just have a few of them set up and swap between them

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Good afternoon members,

Please find attached a photograph of a line winder that I designed, built and used throughout the 70's (circa 50 years ago) and into the 80's. A bit "Heath -Robinson" I know but it worked and did a really good job. Being a bass angler I stripped my line off the reel after each bassing session, running the line through a small square of cloth to remove sand and other particles which could damage the line. The stripping of line off of the reel was done via a small electric motor, elastic band "belt" and basic start lever. Winding in and relaying the line on the reel was via the reel handle, inspecting to pick up any rock damage or line flaws which were removed and the line retied or changed. Simple as it was in design, it was superb in action, and I always went bassing happy in my mind that the line on my reel was up to scratch and reliable. Hope that was of interest. I am sure a modern version using up to date bits and pieces is not beyond the wit of a modern angler. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Ticker (Derek)
Ticker (Derek)
Motor vehicle Font Poster Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
13,328 Posts
Pic below of the only thing I`ve ever used hand wrapping or power wrapping. Thread spool sits on it and the tensioning is done by hand. Don`t give a toss about the greasy finger stuff as all the wraps get cleaned with meths before resin coating. Dod of wood with a dod of old blank glued into it.

To date has probably built several thousand rods.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Plywood

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
Just for speed I suppose makes it abit quicker when doing underwraps or long wraps ive never tried it the way you've said holding it in my fingers but I will give it a go.
takes a little while for your finger thumb muscles to get used to turning , but not long.
wash your hands and you won't have grease problems- not that i ever have ,

i turn with my right and feed with my left - take a loose figure of 8 round the left hand fingers and wind the hand up to the rod,lower the hand and repeat - same tension. don't let the line just slide between your fingers or you will get major line twist . if your hand aches on a long spigot wrap just stick a bit of masking tape over the wrap and have a [email protected] or summat .

if you haven't got a rod support to lay the rod in while wrapping it is worth having . just a couple of upright V things - even cardboard - will work. i expect you know that already , but...................

false underwraps are much less trouble than full ones , and nobody will ever know if you burnish the wrap properly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts