World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some of the plymouth 24-7 and surfcast wales boys with some nice thumbys for their casting any idea where I can get hold of some? I normally use inner-tube or shrink wrap but these things Nick panther was using look the dogs whatsits.
Cheers
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have seen some of the plymouth 24-7 and surfcast wales boys with some nice thumbys for their casting any idea where I can get hold of some? I normally use inner-tube or shrink wrap but these things Nick panther was using look the dogs whatsits.
Cheers
Neal
The Skink
hi mate...most of us tourny guys use a piece of car innertube(thicker than cycle stuff)about 3/4-1 inch wide,and approx 4-4.5 inches long.you place the innertube under the foot of the reel and clamp it in place with a coaster(the one nearest the bottom of the rod),then clamp the other side with the other coaster.when you are ready to cast,stretch the innertube over the spool and clamp it before hitting the spool release button,then when you've cast and release your thumb,the innertube springs back out of the way.by far the best method i've seen.

hope this helps

·
Registered
239 Posts
a bit of blue cricket bat handle grip is very good, wont leave marks on your line either.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys all ideas welcome. Like the car inner tube idea with it attached to the rod.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
tape it to your rod with elec tape pointing towards the butt. once released it imediately flips out of the way.

the rubber gloves i use to check my crab traps dont last long but the fingers when cut off to about 30cm make great thumbies.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh aye my brother has got a load of Blue gloves on his boat. Midnight raid might be in order.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
221 Posts
tape it to your rod with elec tape pointing towards the butt. once released it imediately flips out of the way.

the rubber gloves i use to check my crab traps dont last long but the fingers when cut off to about 30cm make great thumbies.
Do you have very long thumbs?:)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Hi,
Must say that I find placing the strip under the whole of the reel seat works a treat, not only for clamping the spool, but also for protecting the shrink tube from the reel seat and giving a better / firmer location for the reel when using coasters - since using this, I have never had a reel come losse or slip on the butt. I find a 6 or 7 inch length about right for this.

Cheers,
Mart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts