World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not an experienced fisherman but have tried shore fishing when i was last in ireland. ..(caught nothing)
my question is this
when i was a small boy my uncle used to fish by taking out a line & staking it in the sand at low tide with a series of hooks on it. then going back when low tide was next reached. This is all i basically remember . Has anyone else tried this .? what is it called .? And what do you think chances are of catching something with this method.?
I keep thinking that time must have faded my memory as I would imagine the crabs would have any bait attached..
your help appreciated.

rgds..Steve

B

·
0 Posts
I see that this is your first post on this forum Stevee and if the kind of 'fish catching' technique you descibe ,is your prefered method,I hope it will be your last!
This is a FISHING forum!

Your tactics do NOT qualify as FISHING!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
What you are describing, I think, is long lining. As a way of catching fish it's very old and quite effective. However it's not really a 'sporting' method is it? Using a trawler is also about 'catching fish' so I'd put both methods together. Long lining is still practiced commercially in all parts of the world using 'lines' many hundreds of yards long holding thousands of hooks.

I tried it as a lad and discovered that crabs like dead fish as well as bait, but the biggest thieves are seagulls who managed to get up earlier than me or the other two-legged thieves who would normally beat me to the beach.

Both the commercial and amateur longlines are also dangerous. The massive ones are responsible for many unnecessary deaths of sea mammals who get tangled up and drown, and even the fixed longline with 20 hooks have been known to spoil a wading child's seaside holiday by impaling hooks in young feet and legs.

I appreciate that it seems fun but my advice would be to stick with the rod and line - you don't blank everytime, honest!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Long-Lining is like Gill Netting...should be banned. That's only my opinion though guys. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Stevee, the crabs dont eat your bait if you put a cork on each "dropper", however it is an effective way of catching surfers, young lovers walking in the surf, & dogs chasing sticks, & it catches seagulls if you do get anything dangling from it. Not something that we recommend, but I have done it whilst on escape & evasion exercises (it does work).
I must apologise for Bigfish, he is from our Diplomatic Wing!
blueskip

·
Registered
343 Posts
what your talking about is night or dead lines, basically anchoring a bait at low tide then checking on the following low tide. timing can be crucial as foxes/gulls etc can get your catch before you do ... carefull though ive got a feeling the practice is illegal :eek:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
God you can find anything on this site-I was just discussing this down the pub with some mates-many moons ago used to use a 30 hook deadline while fishing at night what we used to do was put the line down at the start of the session, fish the tide and then haul it in, usually by wrapping it around the tail hitch of the old Jeep any decent sized fish were usually barbequed on the beach for breakfast washed down with too much beer-then we usually used to sleep a couple of hours and then fish the tide in again-the general rule was that anything caught on rod and line was yours but the deadline was communal. Happy days. Would someone know if this method is now illegal as no-one seemed to know in the pub the other night?

·
Registered
75 Posts
as long as you don't sell that fish from a long line i think you're okay! not 100% sure but have been doing it three or four times every summer for years and no-ones bothered me! do it for bbq's in the summer and only use 20 hooks for two tides! pick the right spot and and you get enough fish for a rugby team of drunken blokes...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The technique is known as a 'set line' there is no law against it, but it is an indiscriminate method of fishing. You do have to be careful about what fish you take as it is an offence to take salmon or sea trout out of season and any undersized fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts