World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps

I wonder if I can pick someone’s brain on this.....

I normally fish the Holderness coast using braid and 5 or 6oz leads with no issues. I’ve recently fished south end of Kilnsea and have noticed that, even on smaller tides, the tidal flow is much stronger there meaning that my 6oz lead is gradually pulled through much more than normal. How do you guys deal with that please......do you let out a bow of line to reduce the strain on the lead, change to mono or just switch to bigger leads. I’d be interested to learn how others fish in those circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Hi Chaps

I wonder if I can pick someone’s brain on this.....

I normally fish the Holderness coast using braid and 5 or 6oz leads with no issues. I’ve recently fished south end of Kilnsea and have noticed that, even on smaller tides, the tidal flow is much stronger there meaning that my 6oz lead is gradually pulled through much more than normal. How do you guys deal with that please......do you let out a bow of line to reduce the strain on the lead, change to mono or just switch to bigger leads. I’d be interested to learn how others fish in those circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

keep to the smaller tides that end
walk uptide if room allows and cast and leave to form a bow

have noticed recently that slightly further north, holmpton upwards, the last hr n a bit of the ebb and over slack, the tide starts to run south as if flooding, but still receeding

strange as it never did it last year, but the fish seem to like that last bit of the tide , even though its running the opposite way to the rest of the ebb?

and i find mono helps when it comes to larger tides, as it has an element of stretch , even a small swell will pull a lead out if theres a bit of tide on if on braid ( my personal opinion )

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.....I think the fact that a reasonable swell picked up after it filled in didn’t help and there always seems to be a bit more pull that far south. I’ll give your suggestions a go the next time I’m down that way as I do like the beach down near Barry’s Hut

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Thanks for your reply.....I think the fact that a reasonable swell picked up after it filled in didn’t help and there always seems to be a bit more pull that far south. I’ll give your suggestions a go the next time I’m down that way as I do like the beach down near Barry’s Hut
The closer to spurn point you are the more the run is at distance. Many times you cant hold out at distance what ever you do or what lead you try. Try walking left like X525 says and give it bags of slack line so the lead comes round slowly and if the fish are there you,ll pick them up .

·
Registered
92 Posts
It has been many years since I fished that area but one spot I liked was the wardens hut on spurn but as said fish smaller tides however I have caught some cracking bass and smoothound surprisingly close in which also helps with weed as the tide drops away. One thing to think about is using Gemini leads with uptide inserts which seriously produce massive grip compared to any other lead, don't take my word for it.
Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts