World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in this mornings Times newspaper that the Welsh government are planning to install 5 x 100kW tidal generators on the sea bed to provide power to the lighthouse and dwellings (all 12 of them) on the island.

First, they ban me from travelling to my caravan and boat, now they desecrate my favourite fishing grounds!

I’m seriously thinking of selling up and buying in Tenerife instead!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you vote for them, I watched them on the news once and decided they were as good as ours and Scotlands, a bunch of useless twits.

We were considering a static at the early part of the year, found a family owned site with a few available and this happened, we'd have been gutted had we forked out for something we couldn't use, it must do your head in.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Yes it's bound to affect fish behavior as it'll be a constant noise underwater that will travel along way. It will probably affect both shore and boat fishing in the area as well, plus they will ban boats going near it. Personally, I'd rather they put more wind farms far out at sea as they have got to be better than something actually moving under the water surely? Or use the ones that use wave energy instead of using tidal currents as they float on the surface, which I also would think would be better as you could stick them away from shore and out of sight. I'm not an expert by any means but surely those alternatives would be less disruptive over the long term (once the installation part has finished I mean)? Just guessing though, as like I say I'm not an expert by any means.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Some fish are actually attracted to the noise that turbines/boats/windfarms give out, whilst some are obviously repelled.
The issue with turbines isnt as you would expect, in that it turns fish into sushi. The sheer movement of the rising and falling of tide is not as simple as straight in/straight out, there are eddies and cross currents etc and these can and do significantly disrupt the way the blades spin, which is not overly fast to begin with. We arent talking desktop fan speeds here, or even wind turbine rotation speeds but speeds that fish can swim through somewhat safely without much hassle.
The biggest issue is the disruption blocking the area causes in terms of nutrient flow being changed and that is the worry, that the nutrient flow can be severely impacted further up the tidal race, reducing fish holding ability and in some cases spawning ability/change of spawning grounds.

As for your fishing grounds disappearing, hold off on that thought for a little. Read this and you may find your fishing improves once the recovery happens from the initial works distuption Predictable changes in fish school characteristics due to a tidal turbine support structure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts