World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve just come across a tidal app in an old issue of Yachting Monthly called ‘Tides Planner’ by Imray, the chart people. It shows the tidal curve for both standard and secondary ports and allows you to set parameters for minimum depth etc. The free version allows users to access tides for the next 7 days or you can pay £3.99 for a year’s tides. You can also get tidal flow charts for a further payment. I’ve set my parameters to the depth of water over chart datum required to leave and enter the inner harbour where I keep my boat. Apparently internet connection isn’t required as all the data is downloaded with the app and stored on the device.
22EA64F7-8BC8-4A49-B49A-6708EEBB02A6.png
07861930-90E5-4A59-B532-063C3F1187E7.png

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I use this when away from the boat.

http://www.ukho.gov.uk/Easytide/easytide/SelectPort.aspx

I have an old Garmin CP on the boat which has the ability to predict tides surprisingly accurately which I use when predicting anchoring depths. Quite how it does it without internet connection is beyond me but it's error to date is less than a foot and we have ~8m tides

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Imray tide app on my phone and have found that it can on occasions be 30 mins different from Lavers Liverpool time tables. The local radio/met office can be different again. This can lead to close calls when trying to moor on your drying berth. I normally take an average HW and allow a reasonable margin. I haven’t found an app that I trust yet. Pre-apps I just relied on Lavers.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Imray tide app on my phone and have found that it can on occasions be 30 mins different from Lavers Liverpool time tables. The local radio/met office can be different again. This can lead to close calls when trying to moor on your drying berth. I normally take an average HW and allow a reasonable margin. I haven’t found an app that I trust yet. Pre-apps I just relied on Lavers.
Don’t know where you are on the island but PSM is between +10/-35 minutes difference to Liverpool. I always err on the side of caution coming back in anyway :thumbsup:

Data is from the UKHO although the app has the usual ‘not to be used for navigation’ disclaimer, just like my chart plotters :veryconfused:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I have an old Garmin CP on the boat which has the ability to predict tides surprisingly accurately which I use when predicting anchoring depths. Quite how it does it without internet connection is beyond me but it's error to date is less than a foot and we have ~8m tides
I think most of the apps rely on the published conversions from standard to secondary ports, I’ve found some work better in some areas than others.

·
Registered
11,540 Posts
I used to use World Tides but a couple of years ago it seemed to lose accuracy so since then I’ve used Absolute Tides which does everything I’ve ever asked of it and always seems to be pretty accurate, even for a secondary port.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

My simrad unit does the same, very useful if you are anchoring over sandbanks, can get an idea of how much water you going to have left....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts