World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a daft question but I'm new to this malarky and still have a very great deal to learn.

I often see advice suggesting it's best to fish a particular venue on tides above a certain height, usually quoted in feet and usually in the range 25-30 feet. Trouble is, when I go onto the Admiralty "easytide" tide prediction website it quotes tide heights as "x" metres above the chart datum. I can convert metric to imperial and vice versa, but where do you find out what the chart datum is?

Thx in advance.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Google ..Tide Datum , and it gives an explanation of what its based on . However , its not a constant around the country , depends on a lot of local factors ..! Basically , its the difference in height between the lowest of height , and the highest , at any one point , on the coastline . Read it yrself , and you will still be confused !!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
hi wobbler72
make life easy for yourself when you go to your local tackle shop or one in north wales buy lavers liverpool and irish sea tide table under £2.oo its the best bit of fishing kit you can buy, everything you nead to know is in this pocket size book,because low water and the height of low water is just as important, give in feet and metres

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the replies.

I understand what "chart datum" is, just couldn't find anywhere where it says in plain English what the chart datum is in feet and inches (or metres) at any given location.

Menai 1 - looks like £2 solves my problem (thx), just surprised the info isn't readily available on the net.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Best advice i can give is pic a venue that is well known for fishing , then fish it at all states and sizes of tides and day and night. You have to remember most of the fishing venue advice is just one persons way on how it fishes best , on a fishing venues site that i have seen that is generally pretty good i have seen a mark that i fish all the time on it, and the advice is completely wrong , from tides to bait and even species. Not everything on the internet should be taken as gospel. Plus you will get a lot more satisfaction and fish by learning the venues yourself. Dont be afraid to try something different.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chiefbeef

That sounds like the kind of advice I'm going to follow. No better knowledge than first hand experience.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
hi wobbler72
make life easy for yourself when you go to your local tackle shop or one in north wales buy lavers liverpool and irish sea tide table under £2.oo its the best bit of fishing kit you can buy, everything you nead to know is in this pocket size book,because low water and the height of low water is just as important, give in feet and metres
Menai 1,
Agree 100%, I always go to Ynys Mon in first week of January and pick one up then fish the peir, love it.
Also at the begining of the book it gives the time variations of the venues, ie Llanddwyn Isle minus 1 hour 53 minutes, great little book.
Coastman

G

·
All tide heights, wherever you come across them, are relative to "Chart Datum", whether it says so or not. So in principle you can use the figures as printed.

Of course, in practice, it's all a little different. What you are reading are - obviously if you think about it - predictions. The actual tide height is affected by atmospheric pressure and wind direction. So take them as a rough guide if required, and follow Chiefbeef's excellent advice.......

At a venue close to me, the adjacent road turns into a motorway dead on high as anglers desert the scene. Yet about 90 minutes later the fishing comes alive again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts