World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided on Tidemills for an evening session, as the very brisk SW was blowing straight into the face at Seaford and at least Tidemills is a little sheltered from SW.

Set up at about 9pm with HW predicted at 2am. Decided to fish with only one rod and used Lug and Peeler on a running ledger in conjunction with one of Fishyrob's Dvices. This an excellent bit of kit that let me punch out a fragile peeler bait into a brisk headwind and without having to rely on bait elastic to keep it intact.

There was a heavy surf running with largish breakers in the shallow water at the bottom of the tide. Bite detection was all but impossible. I did have a few knocks but nothing connected.

At around 1130pm, the wind just dropped completely and as the water deepened, the large breakers subsided and left just a decent fishable surf.

First fish came at midnight, when after a stonking bite, a Bass of around 2lb came to the beach. This was followed by another two, slightly smaller in size.

The next bite was a cracker, yanking the rod down hard, there was a spirited tussle followed by the sight of an Eel being thrown up by the surf. Bloody thing contorted and wrapped up the trace until it was just a ball of snot. Having cut the creature loose, I set up another trace, re-baited and cast again.

Another bloody Eel followed, which did exactly the same thing. Same routine, re-cast and waited.

A few more bites and another three Bass landed and returned.

The last fish to be landed before all went quiet at 2.30am was a Rockling. This was my cue to pack up and face the walk back to the car.

I have to say that it is strangely eerie walking through that deserted village at that time in the morning. All manner of strange noises from the unseen scurrying wild life. Mind you not as unnerving as the sound of an unseen cow coughing at close range.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
that was no cow that was my wife lol

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Nice one Vic. Your braver than me. That village litterally had the hairs on the back of my neck going on a grey day in January. :clap3:
Cant wait to get back to the UK. As usual, the fish wait until my back is turned and then come inshore....:schmoll:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Nice report Vic. I was considering Tide Mills that night but wimped out as the wind was still blowing hard at 9. I'm sure we've all experienced those eerie walks back to the car alone at night. The 2 km along the Cuckmere from the beach can be quite unnerving when you remeber those stories of escaped big cats...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
What was left of your car when you got back?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
its interesting how different tidemills fishes compared with the arm they are not that far apart but fish totally different.

saw fish feeding the surface close to the arm sun eve couldny see if it were a few mack or mullet.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, had the same trouble last night at home .....
:unsure:
Cough!

fishyrob said:
Nice one Vic. Your braver than me. That village litterally had the hairs on the back of my neck going on a grey day in January.
Yeah, it's a really weird place at night, I dunno why though.

JudgeP said:
Nice report Vic. I was considering Tide Mills that night but wimped out as the wind was still blowing hard at 9. I'm sure we've all experienced those eerie walks back to the car alone at night. The 2 km along the Cuckmere from the beach can be quite unnerving when you remeber those stories of escaped big cats...
Thanks Judge. I nearly left early too, just shows if you stick with it.
Cuckmere - that's another one too. Dunno about the big cats, but the sheep can be pretty savage :unsure:

The Bandit said:
What was left of your car when you got back?
Too much unfortunately.

top cat said:
its interesting how different tidemills fishes compared with the arm they are not that far apart but fish totally different.

saw fish feeding the surface close to the arm sun eve couldny see if it were a few mack or mullet.
I guess with the arm, you have access to deeper water and without the cloudiness you can get close in to the beach itself. Maybe it's also got summat to do with the flow of the river through the arm itself.?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts