World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Ok, I have a couple of questions I would like to raise.  Firstly, am I right in assuming that fishing when the tide is coming in up to high water mark is more fruitful than fishing with the tide going out?..and if it is, is there any hope for fishing with the tide going out..?

Secondly, do people fish throughout the day or do you find that mornings and evenings are better?...I know it would depend on location and species but roughly speaking is there a trend?...

Regards Thunderbolt</font>

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
<font color='#000000'>not all venues fish on the flooding tide, some fish at slack tide
across bottom,across top...depends on venue

as a rule night fishing is more productive although i have had good days during daylight hours

macky</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>No such thing as a hard and fast rule: Most venues have their &#39;hot periods&#39; governed by tides/time. &nbsp;It is very rare that a spot will be consistent throughout the 12 1/2 hour tidal cycle but some rock marks/piers have potential for fish throughout. &nbsp; You will find timing is more critical on other marks. &nbsp;

The only way to find out for sure when the best part of the tide run is for a particular venue is to fish it frequently and throughout all states of the tide/time/weather - obviously this takes a while. &nbsp;Keep a log and then see if you spot any trends. &nbsp;I think it is exciting to find a new mark and then try to &#39;figure it out&#39;, when to fish, for what species etc.

In general, most of the marks I fish are at their best in the last hour of the ebb/first 2 of the flood, or last 2 hours of the flood/first hour of the ebb. &nbsp;I also particularly like fishing evenings/dusk when the tide is one of the above for &#39;daylight&#39; species, but then of course, some critters only come out at night.

As for your specific question about fishing the tide going down I personally wouldnt fish a beach when the tide is on the way out, but the mouth of an estuary would have an outward run of fish leaving with the tide.</font>

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Ok then, would it be true to say that tide is less important when fishing rocks? You could argue that fishing beaches is largely dependent on the tide due to the depth and food displacement etc. but rock marks, although the depth varies, should be less dependent on the tide. Does this sound right?

What other factors make fish feed on different tide times? I did notice that from a local mark, mackerel appear on the flood but go off at high tide and on the ebb. Is this normal for mackerel?
</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts