World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it be cheaper for me to tie my own sea flies or will it be cheaper to buy them? I will not be tying a lot of flies.:g:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Depends on how and where you buy from, oh and on both counts as well, materials and flies. IMHO I buy em as I dont use many and materials are expensive--------------------and my dogs take great delight in fighting over wings, capes and things ! I do tie a few pike and pollock flies that are of my own design, gert big fish looking affairs that aint ever going to win fly tieing prizes, but they do the job. I bought a mixed box off Ebay last year cheaper than I could of bough plain hooks, kept what I wanted and made a profit on the surplus ! Mad world !

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I tie my own the price of decent flies is ridiculous,plus if you tie your own you can tailor flies to your local bait colour and size.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Tying is best but if you only need a few each year then buy them, it will work out much cheaper.

oceanflies.com and uksaltwaterflies.com have all the usual patterns.

Tying is seriously addictive and you can easily spend lots on materials unless you are really careful. However for £50 you can set yourself up for tying all the standard clousers/deceivers and half'n'halfs in the best colours.

Cheers

Flyguy

·
Banned
820 Posts
Will it be cheaper for me to tie my own sea flies or will it be cheaper to buy them? I will not be tying a lot of flies.:g:
Ebay is a good source for cheaper than shop prices on Saltwater flies. U.K. sellers and also try an International search. Some of the US sellers do very nice sea selections. If you only want a few flies:)

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
tie your own.it works out a hell of a lot cheaper and you can tie what ever you want.some materials can seem expensive but you will get dozens of flies from it.saying that you dont have to use bought products.i tie flies for trout fishing to sea fishing.dog fur makes great clouser minnows,streamers ect [loads of different colours]but most cattle fur ect will be fine.silver foil cut in thin strips for bodies,electric cable striped for copper wire ect.mainly you only have to bye the hooks, small cheap vice £7,) bobbin holder £1.95 and thats it.theres nothing like catching fish on flies you have tied yourself and you can do any design you want .good luke tying and enjoy it.:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
dog fur makes great clouser minnows,streamers ect [loads of different colours]but most cattle fur ect will be fine.
Brilliant! I can just imagine loads of ****ed off dogs walking around your area with big bald patches :)
Do you get any Chartreuse dogs down your way?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts