World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know many of you do tie your own flies, but for those that don't, IMHO you are missing out on a huge part of the joy and excitement of fly fishing.

There is absolutely nothing to match the satisfaction of tying a fly yourself, perhaps from stuff you found when out and about, and then catching a fish with it.
When I am fishing I always have fly tying kit with me and using feathers, or animal fur picked off barbed wire, or other less usual stuff I would knock up a fly or two and catch fish.

I am not in any way knocking bought flies, sometimes I will buy one and then copy it, either exactly or with my own interpretation. Also with the cost of flies, as with everything fishing, it will save you money in the long run.

Nev

·
Registered
705 Posts
Great thread. I always tie my own flies. I love it. Im like a Magpie now, grabbing little bits ov fluff, glitter and various stuff... Christmas was like.... Well... Christmas! So.much shiney, sparkly stuff around...
I just made a large articulated shrimp thing out ov some fake fur... Fantastic.
Cant wait to try it out.
Even my partners hair brush has a strange attraction to it for a hard plastic lure!
Happy tying.
Xxx

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too right! 44 years next month. Wouldn't swap her though. (I've tried) Went to a garage for a car for the wife, but they would only take money. Now back to the topic :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Are you wearing ya Jim-jams in your picture?
X

·
Registered
2,871 Posts

I tie my own Flies Fella....looking forward to trying the above out soon........
Thought I 'd try out a weighted savage gear weedless Hook for sp's for added Weight.......:unsure:

·
Registered
181 Posts

I tie my own Flies Fella....looking forward to trying the above out soon........
Thought I 'd try out a weighted savage gear weedless Hook for sp's for added Weight.......:unsure:
Great looking flies m8 have you got a recipe or SBS:clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Great looking flies m8 have you got a recipe or SBS:clap3::clap3:
Thanks BGEE, Here goe's but its my own recipe....First I Tie in the mono eyes, which is a cigarette lighter burning the mono gently until the desired effect thus creating the eyes.
2. tie in some smaller/thinner mono for the feelers i add two in mono first, then I use a couple of strands of Crystal flash, then last but not least couple of strands of deer hair natural to finish feelers off.
3.I make up the mono legs tying in the front two first,tie a dubbing knot and dub in some sparkly artificial about 4mm gap, tie two more mono legs and repeat this until you have 6 mono legs at the sides.
4. Tricky part, bring whipping thread back up to the head, tie in some red copper wire, I tie in some polythene to create the shell for the body, the wind the copper over the created shell, finishing off with uv glue which goe's off in seconds with the uv torch.

5. I like to get a permanent marker Pen and put a striped effect on legs and feelers, also I add a yellow marker Pen to the Body, I either used the polythene cut to effect a tail or tie in some striped feathers for the tail, if no striped feathers cheat and use white feathers and permanent marker pen here too.
6 tease out the Dubbing in the under carriage, which you would have caught in the wire until you get the desired effect, finally I get an orange Marker Pen and simulate eggs beneath the prawn Pattern.

If thats not good enough I will take photos of each stage and pm them, if that helps?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks BGEE, Here goe's but its my own recipe....First I Tie in the mono eyes, which is a cigarette lighter burning the mono gently until the desired effect thus creating the eyes.
2. tie in some smaller/thinner mono for the feelers i add two in mono first, then I use a couple of strands of Crystal flash, then last but not least couple of strands of deer hair natural to finish feelers off.
3.I make up the mono legs tying in the front two first,tie a dubbing knot and dub in some sparkly artificial about 4mm gap, tie two more mono legs and repeat this until you have 6 mono legs at the sides.
4. Tricky part, bring whipping thread back up to the head, tie in some red copper wire, I tie in some polythene to create the shell for the body, the wind the copper over the created shell, finishing off with uv glue which goe's off in seconds with the uv torch.

5. I like to get a permanent marker Pen and put a striped effect on legs and feelers, also I add a yellow marker Pen to the Body, I either used the polythene cut to effect a tail or tie in some striped feathers for the tail, if no striped feathers cheat and use white feathers and permanent marker pen here too.
6 tease out the Dubbing in the under carriage, which you would have caught in the wire until you get the desired effect, finally I get an orange Marker Pen and simulate eggs beneath the prawn Pattern.

If thats not good enough I will take photos of each stage and pm them, if that helps?
:

Thanks for that toby lure. Thats a good sbb.i have all of those materials and marker pens so will have a go later. BGEE :):)

·
The Randy Carrot Cruncher
2,395 Posts

Very clever, work of art mate:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Thanks Ricky...easy really, just getting the tying stages right.... otherwise it goes horribly wrong. I have had only had a handful of basic lessons at a fly tying at a club, once you have the basics mastered its up Hill from there, do anything wrong and theres always the stanley knife...lol

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
:

Thanks for that toby lure. Thats a good sbb.i have all of those materials and marker pens so will have a go later. BGEE :):)
Forgot to mention...to get the segmented effect on the legs heat up a needle and touch it on the mono...you will have to apply the needle very quickly or otherwise it cuts through the mono, you will get the idea after a couple of runs or so:victory:

·
Registered
181 Posts

Thanks for the SBB tobylure, I have tied some similar in the past and just wondered what materials an method you used BGEE:clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Thanks for the SBB tobylure, I have tied some similar in the past and just wondered what materials an method you used BGEE:clap3::clap3:
Have you got into using the UV Glue yet, brilliant invention...cheapest I have sourced is good old fleabay and some Brilliant examples of tying different patterns on utube.
great with the ipad sitting in front of the vice!:thumbs:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Have you got into using the UV Glue yet, brilliant invention...cheapest I have sourced is good old fleabay and some Brilliant examples of tying different patterns on utube.
great with the ipad sitting in front of the vice!:thumbs:
Yes ,I have tried a few different types ,at the moment i am using BUG OFF which I find quite good.IMO it pays to keep your torch in good nick with well charged batteries . Odd times I might finish off with a coat of Sally Hansens. or Rimmell 60 seconds both of which I find good on their own:):)

G

·
Take care with the resins, if you apply too much to the top of the fly, although it makes the shell look great, it can alter the centre of balance with the effect that the fly swims upside down

Better to use a scudback film, no weight but the same translucsense.

I would aim to make the fly waft gently about with as little weight as poss, especially as prawns are pretty much always close to some rough stuff, heavy flies find rocks/weed

SWF

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Take care with the resins, if you apply too much to the top of the fly, although it makes the shell look great, it can alter the centre of balance with the effect that the fly swims upside down

Better to use a scudback film, no weight but the same translucsense.

I would aim to make the fly waft gently about with as little weight as poss, especially as prawns are pretty much always close to some rough stuff, heavy flies find rocks/weed

SWF
This tying is really intended for a jigging rod, bouncing it along the bottom whilst drifting.
Scudback all the way fly casting, or polythene cut to size is ok.

Havent tried the new Bugoff light yet though!!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Just tied this up tonight....becoming obsessed lol:g:

Size 2 stainless Mustard.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts