World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AJ8P6410.jpg

Well tackle all sorted as far as I can tell as this will be a different trip for me as I am usually whacking out large poppers and stickbaits to the horizon bouncing up and down on a boat somewhere on a tropical ocean.

So off to Zambia two weeks Monday for a trip on the upper zambezi after Tigerfish, Nwembe and a few other species that occupy the river in this part of the world and looking forward to fishing in a more relaxed style travelling along the river.

Hopefully we will see a bit of wildlife while are there as I will be taking plenty of photography gear and we will also be crossing the border in to Zimbabwe to visit Victoria Falls so another one off the bucket list.

I will do a full report on our return but looking forward to getting the shorts and tee shirt back on in the African sunshine

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
And here is another convert to the dark side, me and Tracey are on the same trip.

What seems to be a titchy amount of tackle compared to popper and stickbait trips is ready to be packed away and as distinct to Ian the small bazooka is filled with an assortment of rods, none of which match the spec. the lodge suggests!! All too long!, yamaga blacky 81/2 temple reef stealth, a couple of okuma cortez and a black hole slow jigger etc. But the fish will be secondary in a way - pink safari suit pressed and ready - yeh of course:rolleyes:

Watch out Zambia here we come

Mike

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi Ian and Mike,

You both beat me to it so I’ve been busy taking a couple of rubbish quick shots

It’s going to be a steep learning curve for us all I think but it’s fishing well out there at the moment so should be great. Although the fish will be a bonus on a trip like this I think, so many new things to see.

D2E0852F-F188-4502-A52E-A3E8FE895544.jpeg

Travel rods from 2g to 100g

07809714-2C3D-46F7-93C0-48D32006F749.jpeg

What feel like tiny little reels with super thin braid !!!

A18B20F4-B841-4408-8733-C83CD730A2FA.jpeg

Odds and sods

22B11512-774D-491E-B3D7-D5C0BB2C5810.jpeg

Tiger specials

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Hope that you have upgraded the hooks on those lures, Tigers and Nembwe have a reputation for crushing or bending out weak hooks. Replaced most of my trebles with Owner 4X and never had problems.

Have a good trip, two friends were just up on the Zambezi specifically fly fishing for Tigers, had some very good catches now the water is lower.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well boys looks like you are all sorted with the gear and looking at all Jason's lures I need not have packed any I could have just used yours

Hooks and split rings have all been changed mainly to BKK Diablo inline singles and a few owner ST66 trebles so as prepared as I can be for the unknown.

Just looking forward to a beer overlooking the river with sights and smells of Africa with the possibility of a few nice fish.

Bring it on!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well boys looks like you are all sorted with the gear and looking at all Jason's lures I need not have packed any I could have just used yours

Hooks and split rings have all been changed mainly to BKK Diablo inline singles and a few owner ST66 trebles so as prepared as I can be for the unknown.

Just looking forward to a beer overlooking the river with sights and smells of Africa with the possibility of a few nice fish.

Bring it on!
I’ve always been haunted by the fear that I, or somebody on one of my trips will run out of lures, totally irrational but kind of justifies it to me !!!

On all of my trips I take the approach of ‘mi tackle, su tackle’, with the exception of the really expensive lures but even then I’d rather see them used.

Agreed though, a cold beer in a warm Africa is definitely something to look forward to, although quiver tipping for perch and chub on the Ouse on a lovely autumn morning is definitely a good alternative today !!

18168BB2-B453-4485-BE2B-75E1D14E9F57.jpeg

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Looking at the gauge of hooks I asume they don't grow to large or pull that hard, or do you simply use light drag settings ? Never seen so many shiny lures, hopefully you get a few teeth marks in them.

I remember my first trip towing my boat 15,000km round trip to the top end of Aus chassing barramundi. I read everything I could find on the species and spent $1300 on lures alone, unfortunately the fish hadn't read the same reports. After a few days of fishless trips I walked into a local tackle store asking for advice, the staff instantly pointed me to a lure telling me this was the one the fish now prefer.

Next trip out I was hooking fish, funny thing was I only bought one having already bought something like 50 very expensive lures. That one lure lasted the whole trip catching fish every day, I even managed to land a fish that had another one of these hanging from its face.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Looking at the gauge of hooks I asume they don't grow to large or pull that hard, or do you simply use light drag settings ? Never seen so many shiny lures, hopefully you get a few teeth marks in them.

I remember my first trip towing my boat 15,000km round trip to the top end of Aus chassing barramundi. I read everything I could find on the species and spent $1300 on lures alone, unfortunately the fish hadn't read the same reports. After a few days of fishless trips I walked into a local tackle store asking for advice, the staff instantly pointed me to a lure telling me this was the one the fish now prefer.

Next trip out I was hooking fish, funny thing was I only bought one having already bought something like 50 very expensive lures. That one lure lasted the whole trip catching fish every day, I even managed to land a fish that had another one of these hanging from its face.
They fight very hard and pull very hard, up to 11 or 12 kg.

Personally I’m enjoying the fact that the lures are always less than £15, the oargee lures are custom patterns and rigged for tiger with a single hook in the back and a super strong treble in the middle

The rest will be changed before I leave.

I know what you mean about using 1 lure, I’m the same and I know I’ll only use 10% of mine bit I’ll find a use for them somewhere

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
The local favoured spinning lure is pictured below. A bit basic, but the big single works well, as it doesn't have the drawbacks of trebles, and it is a very noisy lure in the water. The only variations tend to be copper blade for coloured water or silver for clean.

I've also had success with big Flying C's. Home made with forged and sharp single hooks.

Hope that helps.

Tiger Lure.jpg

Reactions: JonD

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The local favoured spinning lure is pictured below. A bit basic, but the big single works well, as it doesn't have the drawbacks of trebles, and it is a very noisy lure in the water. The only variations tend to be copper blade for coloured water or silver for clean.

I've also had success with big Flying C's. Home made with forged and sharp single hooks.

Hope that helps.

View attachment 1126111
Excellent thanks, I do have a few like that. I’ve just got to change all the trebles for singles and I’ll be nearly ready to go.

Just the new binoculars and other essential accoutrements to go.

Unfortunately I’ve done enough trips to know that when I get there the guides are just going to look through my box with thinly veiled contempt before picking the oldest and mankiest lure and discarding the rest :D:BigGrin:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts